Hey Guys, i have an american fender 62 reissue strat. i really like the frusciante and srv tone. do you think my guitar can get that sorta sound. im also looking to invest in a tubescreamer too. i know it was a key part of srv's tone. but could it get
me a frusciante distorted tone. *Eg. Dani California Chorus* would you reccomend
it or another pedal. thanks very much

*btw i have marhsall mg halfstack unfortunately . will this afect the overall results*
Quote by lespaul16
Hey Guys, i have an american fender 62 reissue strat. i really like the frusciante and srv tone. do you think my guitar can get that sorta sound. im also looking to invest in a tubescreamer too. i know it was a key part of srv's tone. but could it get
me a frusciante distorted tone. *Eg. Dani California Chorus* would you reccomend
it or another pedal. thanks very much

*btw i have marhsall mg halfstack unfortunately . will this afect the overall results*

frusciante uses a "big muff" distortion pedal for dani california chorus
Frusciante uses a Big Muff alot. But getting rid of your amp should be the first thing you do. A good tube amp would go alot farther than a Big Muff and a Tubescreamer thru your SS amp.
how do you have a 62 strat RI and then an mg half stack? anyways....it would be best to get a new amp first. if you cant afford one now then look into big muffs. that guitar can easily nail SRV's and frusciante's tone. frusciante even uses a 62 strat himself.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
frusciante uses a ds-2 for the dani california chorus, he started using the big muff recently, to get the frusciante tone u will need some synth though
Last edited by crohno at Jan 21, 2009,
i'd also suggest getting a reverb and a chorus. the synth crohno was taking about is actually a mooger fooger pedal but those are extremely expensive and aren't really needed if you can tweak your FX right.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
“Dani California” I used a straight Strat tone on the first section of the first verse, and on the second section the guitar signal is split and panned in stereo, with the original part on the left, and a part processed using my Doepfer modular synth on the right. Basically, the signal from the tape is used to trigger an envelope generator (or ADSR), which responds to playing dynamics, and uses that information to dynamically control a low-pass filter. Unlike a typical envelope filter pedal, this setup allows me to create many more sounds than mere wah effects. Then, those two sections are repeated, and as I’m hanging on the sustained chord which transitions into the chorus, a Mellotron string part slowly rises behind the guitar. You can hardly hear the Mellotron, but it’s what makes it feel like something really big is about to happen. On the chorus, I doubled the guitar parts, which were played using a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal.

I do believe he uses the Big Muff live for the chorus.
^ he does use the big muff live for the chorus. i saw them live when they were on their Stadium Arcadium tour (front row!).
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
If you really want SRV's tone, go for a TS-808 (analogman sells these) or a Maxon OD-9. It has a boosted mid-range compared to a TS9, and is what SRV used. Then, use much heavier strings (I think he used .013 on his high E), detune a half step, add some wah-wah...pump it through a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and you're golden.
so which pedal would sort of be better to go for. this big muff. ds-2 or the od-9.
is there a difference between the big muff pedals ive seen one called new york etc. is there different big muff pedals then.

thank you for all you rreplies btw
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Tone around 1-2 o clockish, Distortion all of the way up, Turbo mode on setting II.

Perfect Frusciante tone
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Well, the Big Muff and an OD-9 will gave you much different sounds. Big Muffs are load, bassy, dirty, hissy...a very "grunge" pedal. For that classic, creamy strat distortion you hear in SRV and others like him, you want an OD-9.

As far as the different types of Big Muffs, yes they sound different. The two main types are the American Big Muff Pi (comes in a silver case with Electro Harmonix on it), and the Sovtek Big Muff Pi (comes in an army green case). The Sovtek Big Muff Pi uses a different type of transistor, one that is darker in tone, but less precise. I have a Sovtek, and believe me, it's a handful. The American Big Muff Pi is a touch brighter, but still a very dark and bassy distortion.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
and which would be the best to run it through. my amp like has been mentioned haha is'nt too great would it be better to run it through my vox ad30 untill i could afford a better amp. also a question on that. which would be a better amp for that kind of style. srv. fru. zep. ac/dc. aerosmith. metallica is heaviet i go. i was looking at some orange and fender bassman. thanks very much for all opinions on pedals theyre really helping =]
i also have a vox tonelab SE. would that improve my mg halfstack well enough untill i could buy a new amp.
Yea your tonelab will help, as far as what amp to get I would say a Fender Tube amp, but which one really depends on your budget and if you just play at home or with a band and at gigs. If you are just going to play at home I would say a Blues Junior, with a band I would say either a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Blues Deluxe. IMO the Blues Deluxe had a better OD channel but didn't sound quite as good clean as the Hot Rod Deluxe. With an OD pedal you can make up for the Hot Rod Deluxe's less than stellar Drive channel. So any of those amps plus the pedals already mentioned will nail all the tones you are looking for. As far as which pedals in which order I would say Big Muff (the american one is better for RHCP), TS9dx (or a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 if you want to save up a bit more for it), and DS-2.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by funkbass369
^ he does use the big muff live for the chorus. i saw them live when they were on their Stadium Arcadium tour (front row!).

mmm... man.. He never uses Big Muff for chorus... besides... the sound from any performance is clearly a ds-2 sound. or maybe He used it once on Your gig... but mainly He uses DS-2.

Big Muff for the solo, but with DS-2 turned on also. But nowadays He is rid off Big Muff... instead He uses English MUff'N a lot. So my advice is to buy an English Muff'N. It's an overdrive pedal but it can do a lot of gain too
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
yeah a tubescreamer and a big muff would get you there, also as for a amp, sell it now and start saving up money for a new amp. i wanna say fender, but then i dont, cause idk waht amp Frusciante, maybe a orange?!?!
Quote by convictionless
yeah a tubescreamer and a big muff would get you there, also as for a amp, sell it now and start saving up money for a new amp. i wanna say fender, but then i dont, cause idk waht amp Frusciante, maybe a orange?!?!

Frusciante generally uses marshalls I believe, Jubilees, 18 watt, jcm800, pretty sure
yeah, actually i was thinking about it, and im pretty sure he uses marshalls lol, i had a brain fart.
your guitar should be absolutely fine. if you can't get those tones, your amp is most likely the problem (srv used tubescreamers quite a bit too). assuming you're in the USA/Canada, something like a traynor YCV40 or 50 (40 is more fendery, 50 is allegedly more marshally, i've only tried the 40) would be nice, without completely breaking the bank, to get you both fendery (for srv) and marshally (for frusciante) tones...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He uses a Marshall Major
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
he uses a vintage marshall jubilee head with 2 marshall major heads. im also pretty sure he uses marshall 1960b cabs on all the heads.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
New amp, effects with that amp is just going to leave you sore.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster