I'm in the process of buying an electric guitar. Right now I'm just trying to make a list of guitars to look into and try out. I'll write out what interests me a bit and then a bit of background incase it helps. I'll be real grateful for any suggestions =].

My budget is $400-$900. Wishfully, I want to keep it between 400-700.

I want a guitar to play mainly for indie music, punk and alt.. I really want a guitar that I can just sit down and play, from power chords to grooving melodies.
I really don't want to look into a guitar that I'd have to switch the pickups on, nor do I want a guitar that'll require a fancy setup.

My favorite bands range from Built to Spill, Death Cab/Postal Service, Pavement, Modest Mouse, Sonic Youth, Social Distortion

One of my favorite guitar sounds are from a Chapel Hill band named Superchunk. I REALLY dig their sound and it's mostly what I want to relate back to when I'm looking at electrics.

I want to be able to attain a unique sound, probably a bit of a brighter sound. For now, I want to keep my scopes very broad and just try a lot of different setups.
I imagine myself being more of a Single PUP kind of guy.

I really want a guitar that's tone knob actually changes the tone. The more versatile and more tones that one can get out of the guitar, the better.

I've been playing for about a year and a half. I own an Alvarez Acoustic+a nice Alvarez Classical, and I'm currently studying Classical Music privately+for school. I really want an electric which I can really grow on and create my own type of sound.
I'm really aiming for simple, plug and play, but still a great sound.

I currently own a Crush 30r (I know, odd owning an amp w/o an electric, but I found it for $100 on Craigslist- major steal). I may keep it for a setup or just sell it for some money later on.

I've played around with a few electrics. I played a Jaguar HH a couple months ago and was very impressed with it. I just don't know if I want a guitar that seems so complex- but I love the ability to get a lot of different tones.

A couple of my mates suggested a Melody Maker, saying it's a real simple guitar and that I'd probably love the P90. I'm deff. gonna try it out- but the finish on the guitar just looks like garbage.

I'm not looking for a guitar to shred on. I played a friends jackson and the EMG'z just weren't for me.

So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it =].
I'm trying to make a list of guitars to look into and try out in the next couple months.
The more specific you are= the better =]

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate the community on here.

Pardon the crappy grammar.
Last edited by zeroth at Jan 21, 2009,
Epiphone or one of the cheap prs guitars.

Look here

www.musiciansfriend.com
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
well now dont just stick to the Fender/Gibson line of thought, the schecter c-1 is a fantastic guitar, or maybe an esp
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The Jaguar HH special is very nice.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

A good fallback guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul. They're not OVERLY bright like you seem to want, but they're a good balance. If brightness is really important to you, look into a fat strat - give it a try. If you dig the Strat, you could always buy mexican, save some cash on it, and use that to mod it if you find something that catches your ear as far as tone adjustments. I think you're gonna find, though, once you get a good guitar that most of the tone comes from the amp, so you'll want to pick up one of those at some point beyond what you have now.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
well now dont just stick to the Fender/Gibson line of thought, the schecter c-1 is a fantastic guitar, or maybe an esp

ESP makes great guitars for price. I don't know how they'd react to punk as I'm predominately a hard rock/metal player with mine, but I think it'd do well.

And the C-1 blackjack is a helluva guitar. Definitely worth a look/play.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
If you want a simple guitar with a bright sound, get a telecaster. I'm pretty sure you could find a used one to suit you within that price range. I know a lot if indie players use tels (bloc party comes to mind immediately). The guitar really can't be beat and i think it would suit your needs well.
Jimi Hendrix > All

Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone Les Paul (SD JB + 59)
Epiphone Dot (Dirty Fingers + 57 Classic)
Yamaha FG700S Acoustic

Crate V-18 212

Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Sovtek Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Boss BD-2
Boss BF-2
PRS SE, amazing straight from the factory. Sells between 500-650. I played the custom and loved it, the singlecut was ok, and I have yet to play the semi hollow. They make all the SE models with P90s too if you want that, the ones in stores, that I've seen, are usually open coil humbuckers, but on ebay and any major guitar website you can get them with P90s.
I played a friends Shecter last week and I loved the neck on it. I wish I remember what the specific type it was. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was definitely a quality guitar.

I'm open to any brand of guitar, not just gibson/fender- that just happens to be the big two and more common to be around.

I have a friend who owns a couple of PRS, I could definitely give him a call if I go to try out those guitars.

I've had my eyes set on the Tele's as well. I just don't know which in specific would fit me best. I haven't had the chance, but the Lite Ash Tele's look great.
Quote by zeroth
I played a friends Shecter last week and I loved the neck on it. I wish I remember what the specific type it was. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was definitely a quality guitar.

I'm open to any brand of guitar, not just gibson/fender- that just happens to be the big two and more common to be around.

I have a friend who owns a couple of PRS, I could definitely give him a call if I go to try out those guitars.

I've had my eyes set on the Tele's as well. I just don't know which in specific would fit me best. I haven't had the chance, but the Lite Ash Tele's look great.

Theyre nice guitars but the tele's kinda have a twangy sound to them most of the time with the stock pups in my experience (never owned it but have played a couple).
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Check out Ibanez too! They have some very versatile guitars. But it's all up to what you like. Just go to a guitar store and sit down and play some guitars. The one that feels and sounds best to you is the one you should get. Good Luck.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Theyre nice guitars but the tele's kinda have a twangy sound to them most of the time with the stock pups in my experience (never owned it but have played a couple).

This is true. It comes across as a snappy almost plucked sound when you play on them. Some people prefer it, but it's definitely there and distinct to that guitar. I'd say play on one and see.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
This is true. It comes across as a snappy almost plucked sound when you play on them. Some people prefer it, but it's definitely there and distinct to that guitar. I'd say play on one and see.

Agreed I dont see them in rock music too often with the bands I listen to minus tom keifer of cinderella used them and strats in the late 80's. The twangy sound I see dominates in country. But yeah minus the jim root tele and tom keifer I dont remember any rock guitarists that use them at least in my music library.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
your a single coil kind of guy? then a fender mim standard telecaster would probably be the best for the money. if you mean that you only use one pickup, then idk there are a lot of options, I would choose an epiphone les paul standard.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Last edited by fifer at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Agreed I dont see them in rock music too often with the bands I listen to minus tom keifer of cinderella used them and strats in the late 80's. The twangy sound I see dominates in country. But yeah minus the jim root tele and tom keifer I dont remember any rock guitarists that use them at least in my music library.

Well then your music library must suck. Jimmy Page used a tele for the stairway to heaven solo, did he not? tom morello uses a tele from time to time, john frusciante does as well. ive also seen videos of george harrison using one. i could sit here all day naming people, but i have a train to catch. what the hell kind of rock music do you listen to anyway?
Jimi Hendrix > All

Fender MIM Strat
Yamaha FG700S Acoustic

Crate V-18 212

Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Sovtek Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Boss BD-2
Boss BF-2
Nah I don't need a one pup guitar- that's just what my friend recommended for me because I want something simple.

I'll deff give a few PRS a try, the guitars look beautiful.
From the sounds of it, I would recommend looking at Telecasters and also Epiphone G400.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by jdiddy182
Well then your music library must suck. Jimmy Page used a tele for the stairway to heaven solo, did he not? tom morello uses a tele from time to time, john frusciante does as well. ive also seen videos of george harrison using one. i could sit here all day naming people, but i have a train to catch. what the hell kind of rock music do you listen to anyway?

When Morello used the black/white tele with Rage, he had an aftermarket pickup put in it - not a stock tele pickup. And using it for a solo as you cited with Page is not the same as using it for a rhythm track in punk - different goals.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by jdiddy182

How could I have forgotten jimmy paige and tom morello? I feel stupid now. But to directly answer the question my music taste goes like this (I may be incorrect on the 60's and 70's era here)

1960's- Hendrix
70's- Led Zepplin, Sabbath
80's- Too many to name but main ones are motley crue, GNR, Dokken, Ratt, and Racer X
90's- Alice in Chains, Pantera, Nirvana, Pearl Jam
2000's till today- Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
^ kurt cobain used telecasters as well for that matter. and tom morello's tele is stock, im certain. here is a photograph, and you can pretty clearly see its your normal ass tele bridge pickup. so HA. fool.

and just the fact that the majority of your favorite music came out of the 80's proves my point. i feel so vindicated at this point. you guys should just stop arguing with me.

Jimi Hendrix > All

Fender MIM Strat
Yamaha FG700S Acoustic

Crate V-18 212

Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Sovtek Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Boss BD-2
Boss BF-2
Last edited by jdiddy182 at Jan 21, 2009,
MIM standard HSS strat or maybe a HSS SA series Ibanez

EDIT: You could also look at some fret-king stuff as well.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Jan 21, 2009,
What's the difference between the ESP EC400VF and the ESP EC1000? (with the Seymour Duncan pickups)

Both have the same pickups but the price difference is nearly $400.
Quote by zeroth
What's the difference between the ESP EC400VF and the ESP EC1000? (with the Seymour Duncan pickups)

Both have the same pickups but the price difference is nearly $400.

Materials - eg. tuners, bridge, binding of the neck/body, finish, wood types...

Just basically.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you