Page 1 of 2
First off let me tell you that this is my first build. I have been cruising GB&C for quite some time, picking up information as I went along, but now after about 5 months of being on here, I feel I am ready to start my first guitar build. I finished reading Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock about a month ago and it made me rethink some of my ideas. That book really helped me out a lot and I would recommend it. Because I have a fairly small background in this sort of thing and limited money, this build will probably take a long time to get finished, I would guess into the spring if not later.

Here is what I'm going for:

RR24 Style Guitar
2 piece alder body
One piece set flame maple neck
24 fret ebony fretboard
Non-beveled top
25.5" Scale
Tune o matic bridge with either a flying V tail piece or ferrules (string through body)
13 degree headstock angle with scarf joint
Custom headstock shape
Body, neck and headstock painted solid black
2 Humbuckers
2 Volumes
3 way blade selector
Zero degree neck angle
Dot inlays
Jumbo fretwire
Last edited by necroscience13 at Jan 21, 2009,
It's lookin' grand and everything, but, it's nothing like an RR24!
Well I guess it technically is, being a 24 fret RR, but the RR24 is Jacksons answer the ESP's alexi sig, one pickup, floyd rose, pinstriped paint etc etc.

Anyway, good luck, I'll await more pics
Can't wait to see this finished! Where are you getting the parts from? Just as a heads up, if you were gonna get the 'board from Craft Supplies, they won't have ebony for a few months.
Quote by minibrowny
Can't wait to see this finished! Where are you getting the parts from? Just as a heads up, if you were gonna get the 'board from Craft Supplies, they won't have ebony for a few months.
I'm getting my parts from a variety of places. Stew Mac, Guitar Fetish and Dragonfire Guitars are going to be my main spots.
This should turn out pretty nice. Sweet neck blank by the way.
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
It's lookin' grand and everything, but, it's nothing like an RR24!
Well I guess it technically is, being a 24 fret RR, but the RR24 is Jacksons answer the ESP's alexi sig, one pickup, floyd rose, pinstriped paint etc etc.

Anyway, good luck, I'll await more pics

The Jaskson RR24 is Jackson's answer to the Alexi signatures that they USED to make, many years ago. That guitar's been around for ages, just renamed a billion times. When Alexi had his RR24s stolen, he was offered some customs by ESP Japan, based on their SV guitar.. then his signature line was born. ESP USA had to revise the design, due to copyright legislation regarding the RR body shape, which is why the USA and Japanese models look so radically different.

Anyway, good luck to TS... just take your time. I rushed a bunch of stuff with mine, and I paid for it in the end.

Edit: The only piece of mild criticism I can think of is about the neck construction. Have you considered slicing it down the middle, flipping one piece 180 degrees, then gluing? That should make it about a billion times less likely to warp.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jan 21, 2009,
^ My alexi guitar knowlege is lacking v_v Either way, my point was, this build isn't a similar thing to that guitar (other than shape and fret number)
This look's really good, i really like have you posted all the drawing's and plans with measurements, i'm planning my own RR style guitar and that is extremley usefull information, thank's

I'm looking forward to more updates.

*subcribed*
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
^ My alexi guitar knowlege is lacking v_v Either way, my point was, this build isn't a similar thing to that guitar (other than shape and fret number)

Yeah, you're right. I would probably have gone with an RR5:

I was expecting something different from the thread title too, but who cares.. it's an RR, and RRs own..

UPDATES SOON PLZ
I wouldn't have thought it would actually matter.

I'd probably align the centre line of the body with the join of the wood, then glue on the top wing section, but just because I'd be anal about the centre line :\
i think you should center it. Are you doing a solid finish? If you are it won't matter too much. But if your having a clear/ transparent finish centre it
I'm not sure if this matters much, but it look's like the center line will be inline with the wall of the neck pocket, would that effect the stabality in anyway?

Like mintsauce said, you could cut the block off from the bottom left hand corner and glue it where the upper wing will be.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I wouldn't have thought it would actually matter.

I'd probably align the centre line of the body with the join of the wood, then glue on the top wing section, but just because I'd be anal about the centre line :\
I think I'll center it, thanks.
Updates: I've run into a problem, the wood is too thick to cut with a jigsaw and is slightly uneven. I didn't know what to do at that point but a friend of mine suggested that I use the bandsaw at school which was a great idea. As for the planing I was going to hand plane the wood but I'm pretty sure the school has a thickness planer also. I am on good terms with the shop teacher because he also teaches Autocad and I had him last year. I'm hoping he'll let me do it. Anyways, here is what I've been up to in the meantime:
My alder wood blank all glued together:

Wood rasps for shaping the neck:

The wood rasps were a great investment, they're really sharp and should have no problem shaping the neck. I only wish I had gotten them sooner when I was scalloping the neck on my other guitar. In addition to the rasps, I recently purchased a fret file which should be coming in the mail soon.

My birthday is coming up in February and I'm sure I'll get some money so that I can get the rest of the materials. Here is a list of what I still need:

Jack and jack cover
Knobs
Tune o matic bridge with either a flying V tail piece or top ferrules
Pickups
Pickup rings
Pickguard Material for the control plate
Tuners
Nut
Paint supplies
Screws
Side Dots
3 way switch
An oil stone for leveling the frets

So that's where I stand. Updates in the near future.
Last edited by necroscience13 at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by LP Addict
that neck blank is soft maple, the grain is obvious of that of Silver Maple. it will warp unless you laminate it (trust me i know)

What about graphite reinforcement rods?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by LP Addict
that neck blank is soft maple, the grain is obvious of that of Silver Maple. it will warp unless you laminate it (trust me i know)
I think your wrong on this one, silver maple grows in the eastern united states and looks nothing like the blank I have. The neck blank was advertised as hard maple and shipped from Vancouver. I don't mean to sound like a jerk here but what's your explanation for this?
Vancouver grows Big Leaf maple, which is also a soft maple. looks alot like silver maple, but has tighter curls. to a woodworker it is viewed as "hard maple" because the only soft maple to woodworkers is silver maple, however it is not the hard maple a guitar maker is thinking of, not in the least. im not saying its crap, im just telling you to laminate it, you should laminate your neck anyways.
Last edited by LP Addict at Jan 27, 2009,
just a thought, but i think you shouldn't but the "V" cover over the string-thru holes it just didn't look right in the picture, but thats just my two cents. GL
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by F8iscruel
just a thought, but i think you shouldn't but the "V" cover over the string-thru holes it just didn't look right in the picture, but thats just my two cents. GL
The reason I'm thinking about doing it is because I like the way it looks in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5cdMwWWV4o
I'm not a big Marty Friedman or Megadeth fan, I just think it looks cool. I think that I'll cross that bridge when I come to it though. I may even make a poll, we'll see.
Last edited by necroscience13 at Jan 28, 2009,
it doesnt look "bad" persay it just looks "off" to me. the thing that i noticed most about that video was dave with a whammy bar, why'd he stop using those, all of his Deans have stop string-thru like marty's in the vid. but it's all up to you i was just throwing in my opinion
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by LP Addict
Vancouver grows Big Leaf maple, which is also a soft maple. looks alot like silver maple, but has tighter curls. to a woodworker it is viewed as "hard maple" because the only soft maple to woodworkers is silver maple, however it is not the hard maple a guitar maker is thinking of, not in the least. im not saying its crap, im just telling you to laminate it, you should laminate your neck anyways.

Vancouver does grow big leaf maple, I used to live there.

You know, to laminate you just have to cut into three piece (with the bandsaw), flip the middle piece over, plane and glue back together. It's easy, and you're neck will be super strong.

You can also put strips of a contrasting wood in between the maple so it's a 5 piece neck. Looks really t3h br00talz m3talz and is awesome with a clear finish.

hey why did you get a figured neck blank that looks THAT nice if you're going to paint over it? Not cool, I'll buy that off you or trade you for a less figured one.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Vancouver does grow big leaf maple, I used to live there.

You know, to laminate you just have to cut into three piece (with the bandsaw), flip the middle piece over, plane and glue back together. It's easy, and you're neck will be super strong.

You can also put strips of a contrasting wood in between the maple so it's a 5 piece neck. Looks really t3h br00talz m3talz and is awesome with a clear finish.

hey why did you get a figured neck blank that looks THAT nice if you're going to paint over it? Not cool, I'll buy that off you or trade you for a less figured one.
You know recently I've been thinking about that also. The figure is really nice so I may just keep it as is. Decisions decisions.
Last edited by necroscience13 at Jan 28, 2009,
That one is hard maple, and it's quarter sawn.

You could probably get away without it, but I would just cause A) It looks badass and B) it helps the structural intergrity of the neck.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I go back to school on Monday so we'll see if the shop teacher will let me use the bandsaw and thickness planer. Keep those fingers crossed. Here are a few small updates:

Revised neck dimensions:

My fret file which arrived in the mail today:

This is a re-post but someone please tell me if this wiring diagram is correct:
Update:

Well today I was able to cut out the body for my guitar. I just need to sand it and use my wood rasps to smooth it out and clean it up a bit.

Here it is:

The side view showing the thickness:

After I smooth it all out I think what I think I'll do next is route out the neck pocket but we'll see. More to come, keep checking my blog.
This is a great build so far; I salute your methodical nature and attention to detain not only in working/planing/buying parts, but just the way you are getting into building only after many months of research, book reading, etc., instead of diving in with a body blank and a rusty file or whatever like so many others seem to do. Very cool, this should be a success!
Quote by -MintSauce-
Looking good so far!

Also, nice work prepping and joining the two-piece alder blank - the seam's only obvious from the side, and it generally looks clean as hell.
Actually what happened what the body blank was a little uneven in terms of height and it couldn't be planed as a solid piece. So what me and my teacher did was cut the blank back down the middle, planed each side so they matched, glued it back up and then cut it out. I'm glad we did though. My initial plan way to cut out the body and then plane it but the planer wouldn't have taken it like that. Overall I think it worked out better this way.
I think you should do some kind of different paint for the finish. Black just seems really boring.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
Quote by F8iscruel
it doesnt look "bad" persay it just looks "off" to me. the thing that i noticed most about that video was dave with a whammy bar, why'd he stop using those, all of his Deans have stop string-thru like marty's in the vid. but it's all up to you i was just throwing in my opinion

It looked like a Kahler fixed-bridge to me.
Here is the body. The sides are a little uneven so I'm going to see if I can get them leveled. The neck will be the next thing to get cut. I'll probably be able to bring that to school and get that cut out. I'll show you the neck tomorrow and what I'm going to do with that. Also, I've decided on a final neck plane. I received some money for my birthday and I will be to buy the rest of the supplies I need.

Here is the body:

Like I said the sides are a bit uneven and there's some chipping around the bottom of the guitar because I used a rasp on it and went against the grain which was a mistake. But I'm hoping that a grain filler will take care of that.

Here is the final neck design:

Here is the final version of the headstock I designed:

It's angled about 6 degrees more then the previous version.

So that's where I am right now.
Page 1 of 2