Hey guy, I need some help. I'm playing at a concert soon, it's my first large concert (250-300 people) and we're playing a song that has some breaks where the guitar isn't used, so I got two questions,
1. What do I do when I'm not playing?
2. How do I look cool while playing, but at the same time, not increasing my chances of screwing up?
Thanks
I defecate all over my clothes to get extra protected
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
1. Jump around
2. Play with your teeth, even if you do screw up you look awesome
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
Quote by ThinLizzyFan

Haha, If I didn't think about it after, I would be standing on stage scratching at my teeth lol, that would make me look cool
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
let go of your guitar and dance like a fool with your arms...works a charm, also sway your body and such....doesnt increase chances of screwing up and looks a hella lot better than standing completly still
GEAR

customised westfield strat soon to be HH
MIJ 68'reissue strat from 1996

bunch of boss pedals
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
1. Jump around

This.
Get a water bottle and drink from it. Even after it's empty At least you won't just be standing there.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
definitely water bottle. ive had my fair share of gigs id say its good get a bottle. or a cup o fbeer w/e you need. if theres a break you can do whatever you want. walk around make sure all the connections are right...looks like you kno what youre doing. if the members of the other band are playing i suggest you just sit and chill. and watch and clap . ive always beelived that you should step baack when its someone elses time to shine. so jumping around and looking like an idiot during someone elses part is not kool
well you're gunna murder me (but before you do know it wasn't my choice) we're doing four songs, two of which I have written myself and Avril Lavigne's My Happy Ending (cuz our vocalist is a girl) and one other song which hasn't been decided yet. Personally, I can't stand A.L, I'm into proper rock but I guess it will work, so I don't mind playing it
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Quote by lee 31392
well you're gunna murder me (but before you do know it wasn't my choice) we're doing four songs, two of which I have written myself and Avril Lavigne's My Happy Ending (cuz our vocalist is a girl) and one other song which hasn't been decided yet. Personally, I can't stand A.L, I'm into proper rock but I guess it will work, so I don't mind playing it

Haha naw thats cool. I wouldve murdered you if you said country.
But yeah, just hoppin around and dancin could work. And the water.
love is love // return to dust
Just go off stage, go to the bar, buy yourself a drink, chat up a girl, have a bit o' fun, then run on stage pick your geetar and go nuts =)
Haha, yeah if I'm gunna pull, that's deffinately the night, I'll be the coolest guy in the room, unless some bastard come on stage and starts kicking out on Van Halen's Eruption. If he did that, I would shove my guitar up his ass, horizontally, with NO LUBE! But yeah, thanks for the advice, keep it coming!
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Lean against a speaker and watch the rest of your band, try and give off the air of 'ahh, my children have done well,' then everyone will think you're the musical genius behind the whole show.

EDIT-When I was a drummer my band had a song that was just guitar and vocals, so I would always grab a whiskey and have a smoke at the bar. This was before the smoking ban, though.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Last edited by neopowell at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by neopowell
Lean against a speaker and watch the rest of your band, try and give off the air of 'ahh, my children have done well,' then everyone will think you're the musical genius behind the whole show.

Haha, funny yuou should say this, Cuz I am the guy organising the event lol. We've even got Billy Bragg playing it, cuz I'm friends with his son, dunno if you heard about Billy Bragg but he's fairly famous lol
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Quote by lee 31392
Haha, funny yuou should say this, Cuz I am the guy organising the event lol. We've even got Billy Bragg playing it, cuz I'm friends with his son, dunno if you heard about Billy Bragg but he's fairly famous lol

Me and my old man went to go see him a couple of years ago. That's pretty impressive.

Seriously, lean and stare, you'll look cool.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by tancanada
I wouldve murdered you if you said country.

I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I think that'll do, thanks a lot everyone, boosted my confidence a lot haha, so water, lean against a speaker and dance like a crazy guy during breaks, got it!
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Quote by lee 31392
I think that'll do, thanks a lot everyone, boosted my confidence a lot haha, so water, lean against a speaker and dance like a crazy guy during breaks, got it!

If anything, just have fun an fool around. Make sure you get anything done that you need done to start, like checking connections, water, etc.

After that, just **** around. Interact with the crowd, the band, dance, whatever.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
1. touch yourself.
2. Sorry, can't help you here. I look like an idiot on stage.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Watch Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) when he plays, specifically how he dances when he plays. Work the hips, baby.
Quote by Pauldapro
Of course...you could always get your penis out.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If there's a combo amp nearby at reasonable height, sit on it with a drink and watch the band or the crowd. Or mess around with your pedals/amp/whatnot, pretend to be making fine adjustments to perfect your music. Just look either busy or chilled, never in between. Don't get caught looking like you're lost and don't know what to do. That is not rock and/or roll.
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
switch guitars maybe, or just take in what the rest of the band is doing and look into it. Try and get the crowd to acknowledge the other members of the band. But do this in a cool, not 40 year old classic rock guy.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
1. Roll volume down and do a air solo, Strech, Mimic the drums, get a drink, Scratch your self if you are itchy anywhere.
2. Make what your doing look super easy and look into the croud alot with a happy or satisfied look.
You could also go EVH style and look at your hands move on the fretboard and then drop your jaw.

Pete Townshend windmill.

Chuck Berry or Angus Young styled duck walk thing...that might be hard to not screw up at the same time though.

If theres room on the stage and your chord isnt to short walk around and do guitar lines standing next to a bassist or another guitarsist if you have one.
Like this:
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Ethanb08
1. Roll volume down and do a air solo, Strech, Mimic the drums, get a drink, Scratch your self if you are itchy anywhere.
2. Make what your doing look super easy and look into the croud alot with a happy or satisfied look.
You could also go EVH style and look at your hands move on the fretboard and then drop your jaw.

Pete Townshend windmill.

Chuck Berry or Angus Young styled duck walk thing...that might be hard to not screw up at the same time though.

If theres room on the stage and your chord isnt to short walk around and do guitar lines standing next to a bassist or another guitarsist if you have one.
Like this:

what band is that in the last link? looks like they have 3 guitarists! (1 might just be a mic stand?)

anyway just go mental.

thats what im planning to do at my gig this saturday
Quote by red_hot_chili18
what band is that in the last link? looks like they have 3 guitarists! (1 might just be a mic stand?)

That is Lynyrd Skynyrd if i'm not mistaken.

On Topic:

Just relax and have a drink or watch. Just keep calm and you'll look fine. That said, if you really want to put on a show go nuts but make sure to practice what you do beforehand.