i currently do not have a tuner and alot of the stuff i like to play is in drop d and i was wondering if there is a way to self tune the guitar to drop d and if there is how do i do it
Tune down e string to the d string. I do this on stage in a matter of seconds. You shouldn't need a tuner to do drop D.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
thats what i thought. some one told me that it wasn't as simple as putting the e to d and told me i had to change the whole tuning of the damn thing
if your guitar is in tune, you know how you pick 5 on each string and the string below that to tune? well on your low e, pick 7 and tune to your a like that. Your now in drop d

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

have you been playing longer than a month? if so, you should be able to do it by ear, yes. tune until the 7th fret of the low e sounds like the A string above it

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Open D tuning is more complicated. Drop D tuning is simply lowering the e-string to match the d-string
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Instead of matching your sixth string, fifth freat to open fifth string, match the seventh to an A. Btw, if you don't have a tuner, your other strings probably aren't that well in tune anyways. So buy one! They're generally cheap and they're a good investment.
Corona Corona
The other way mentioned works too... but in live.. if you just pluck the 6 and 4 string at the same time... crank down the 6th till they match... it's far faster. (IMHO)
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Quote by gtr_101
if your guitar is in tune, you know how you pick 5 on each string and the string below that to tune? well on your low e, pick 7 and tune to your a like that. Your now in drop d

i know how to do the 5 but question. when i get to the g do i do 7 or 6
Quote by SPBY
have you been playing longer than a month? if so, you should be able to do it by ear, yes. tune until the 7th fret of the low e sounds like the A string above it

playing for about 6 months but i am mildly tone deaf and cant pick out tones but i can match them
Quote by Lordfireheart
i know how to do the 5 but question. when i get to the g do i do 7 or 6

and that's why I never recommend that method. It takes two hands, your tuning a machine head while your finger is on a string, and it's confusing to first timers.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Last edited by Milez5858 at Jan 21, 2009,
dont worry about the g just tune the e to 7 and everything else as normal.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker