Ladies and gentlemen, on bass: Mr. Tony Levin. Oh, wait.

So, I've been looking to get into bass again, but I'm especially interested in the model being cradles in Mr. Levin's masterhands up there. Electric standing basses, man; that one up there looks awesome, and it sounded great on the tour. Levin could jump around with it, he could sit it in front of himself and have a somber moment, and when he took a bow to that thing... I WANT IT.

But, all the ones I've found so far don't look good and/or are too expensive. So, I guess I've got two questions: does anyone know what THAT model up there is, and does anybody know a good manufacturer or retailer with standing basses? Also, would fretless action be very difficult to learn for somebody who used to know how to play a fretted bass?

EDIT: Yeah, that's Peter Gabriel back there, hanging downside up.
Fender Telecaster Deluxe MZ7006924
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Don't be sad, I know you will.
That's a NS Design by the looks of it.

Edit: Ta da!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jan 21, 2009,
did he...did he flip an electric double bass into guitar position??? thats what it looks like, in which case, thats creative
They can be really expensive. Dean makes one for about $600-700 I believe it's called the Pace

Last edited by Stingray5 at Jan 21, 2009,
Look into a company called Krappy guitars. They make EUBs for real cheap.
Site: http://www.krappyguitars.com
A four string Twiggy looks like what you'd want. That guy'll make anything, just email him for a quote.
Quote by Mr. Grieves

Ladies and gentlemen, on bass: Mr. Tony Levin. Oh, wait.

So, I've been looking to get into bass again, but I'm especially interested in the model being cradles in Mr. Levin's masterhands up there. Electric standing basses, man; that one up there looks awesome, and it sounded great on the tour. Levin could jump around with it, he could sit it in front of himself and have a somber moment, and when he took a bow to that thing... I WANT IT.

But, all the ones I've found so far don't look good and/or are too expensive. So, I guess I've got two questions: does anyone know what THAT model up there is, and does anybody know a good manufacturer or retailer with standing basses? Also, would fretless action be very difficult to learn for somebody who used to know how to play a fretted bass?

EDIT: Yeah, that's Peter Gabriel back there, hanging downside up.

Why would anyone use a bow on an upright bass?

Also, the dean is pretty much just a electric fretless turned upright. Hardly a real upright bass.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles

Why wouldn't they use a bow?
It's a technique that is use quite often. Probably the most popular technique in a classical setting.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Here's a pair of clips of Levin playing the EUB, I'm sorry, but I just like his material too much. Anyhow, this is just him and Gabriel so it lets the tone ring through a little more clearly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXoAF_rBgR8
And for any doubters, the EUB played with a bow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBYm4cBSnQg

EDIT: many thanks, FleaJr., Stingray and Sam. Pastorius, you're my hero tonight. This guy's stuff looks pretty Krappy, and I'm liking it. I'd like to see how this works out. Definitely gonna get me playing bass again.
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Last edited by Mr. Grieves at Jan 21, 2009,
I have seen quite a few performers use a bow on a EUB.

On the Dean Paces--there's a good reason why they are priced in that range. They really are economy EUBs in all senses of the word. The tone is awful.
Quote by Mr. Grieves
Here's a pair of clips of Levin playing the EUB, I'm sorry, but I just like his material too much. Anyhow, this is just him and Gabriel so it lets the tone ring through a little more clearly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXoAF_rBgR8
And for any doubters, the EUB played with a bow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBYm4cBSnQg

side note: great songs!
Quote by slap-a-bass
side note: great songs!

I know, right? I keep the DVD concert on hand since I missed their Euro tour, and I gotta say I've never been so impressed by a couple of old proggers.

But, I've noticed that the bass from "Signal to Noise" may be a different model. Still, the NS models are intended for bow use as well, and I believe that model is a EUB also.
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Quote by Woogles

Also, the dean is pretty much just a electric fretless turned upright. Hardly a real upright bass.

"Mr Krinkle" by Primus. 'Nuff said.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
People might want to do what the double bassist does in the intro to this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ijERWZHvsxI

Yes. YES.
You actually just transfered the music that I am listening to right now from Hendrix to John Butler. And I thank you. I mean, Hendrix IS god, but I've been listening to him for like three hours. John and Shannon and Mike are so freaking amazing.
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 21, 2009,

These are made by Palatino, I've played one and they are very good.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by food1010
"Mr Krinkle" by Primus. 'Nuff said.

I also saw him play Precipitation recently using a EUB with a bow with a cello player instead of a guitarist.

Those Palatinos have always intrigued me. Its nice to know someone else thinks they sound as nice as they look.
A standing bass... there's a million friggin ways to describe an upright (bull fiddle!?!?!), but that's a new one...

Anyway, I own the cheapest proper EUB, and that's the Stagg. Paid $550 for mine. There's only the one model, really. And it's actually quite good - has side dots and plays relatively well. It has hip rests and a shoulder so it plays more like an upright than any of the NS stuff. It's all maple. Piezo pickup, with a boost-only bass control, headphone out. A very cool and easily adjustable bridge. Endpin long enough for me.

The plugged in tone isn't anything to write home about... but it's an EUB.

EDIT: Why would you bow a double bass? WTF!?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jan 22, 2009,