I just got a fender squire strat from my friend. He had put stickers all over it and they have left a sticky residue on the body and the back of the neck.

What is a good product to clean this with that isn't damaging to the guitar? Also I want to clean the fretboard but I am a bit hesistant to take off all the strings to clean it because I dont want to "shock" the neck by removing all that tension within a short time frame. So my other question is, is there a preferred method for cleaning the fretboard ?
i always take all the strings off when i restring my guitar and clean it. they are fine...
Googone for sticker residue.

lemon oil or lizard spit for fretboard.

taking the strings off will not "shock" the neck...lol.
Last edited by Handgrenade at Jan 21, 2009,
Ok, cool thanks. I am relatively new and I was told that by the guy at my local music store. I am going to try this out
The best time to clean a guitar is when you are restringing it. I used a damp soft cloth and rubbed off the goo from my toggle selector plate off. It takes time but you can all off eventually without special chemicals. And unless its a rosewood fretboard I dont think you would have to clean it. I wouldn't use any chemicals on a maple fretboard.

EDIT: I heard using lemon oil on a maple fretboard stains it. And to Toker420, That didn't help at all and you seem like a waste of life.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by AgresiveNapkins at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Handgrenade
Googone for sticker residue.

lemon oil or lizard spit for fretboard.

taking the strings off will not "shock" the neck...lol.

Googone ftw

If you're having trouble with getting the stickers themselves off, get some firm rubber or something so you don't scratch the finish.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
The best time to clean a guitar is when you are restringing it. I used a damp soft cloth and rubbed off the goo from my toggle selector plate off. It takes time but you can all off eventually without special chemicals. And unless its a rosewood fretboard I dont think you would have to clean it. I wouldn't use any chemicals on a maple fretboard.

EDIT: I heard using lemon oil on a maple fretboard stains it. And to Toker420, That didn't help at all and you seem like a waste of life.

yes...i was assuming it was rosewood since it's a squire. don't use lemon oil if it's maple.
and if you cant tel what wood it is...maple is a very light color like a tan or yellow and rosewood is a brown or sometimes blackish color. just letting you know!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I'm having the same problem. Just ordered some Goo Gone Hope it works
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus