Poll: Most Over-Rated Lead Guitarist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Most Over-Rated Lead Guitarist?
Angus Young
4 22%
Eddie Van Halen
5 28%
Slash
5 28%
You're Smokin' Dope! These three are for real!
4 22%
Voters: 18.
I have been playing guitar for around 6 years now, and I'd consider myself "talented." I have taken up teaching young people how to play the guitar(I'm in High School by the way, not a creep-o old pedo) to pick up some extra cash and find my "heir apparent" in this community . I have a 7-year-old student who can play all open chords, and some open chord progressions with a top-speed of 198 BPM on a metronome(we're talking E-A-G, etc.). He's only been with me weekly for a month, and he claims to have never picked up a guitar.

Here's the problem: I have another student who's 10. He has been with me for 3-4 months now, and he is still struggling to play open chords(E, A, D, G, C, F). He can't even hold his guitar right(he constantly lays it down on his lap and plays it like a steel guitar...). I nag him about practicing, but I don't know if the message is going through. I have hit a brick wall with lesson planning, as I am now obviously repeating lessons over and over again("Here's the G chord"). I dread teaching this student, because I just don't think he has the will, or even the potential if he is really trying. His mom complains because she claims that he doesn't have any solid things to practice, when I have given him numerous chord diagrams and chord progressions to play. What should I do? Please help!
Give him songs with a couple of chords in, or teach him power chords so at least you can get him playing some tunes - he might be more inclined to practice if he can play something a bit more fun. Is he learning cos he wants to, or cos he thinks his parents want him to? If its the latter you've got no chance

You could try and get the parents to sit in on the lesson - then you can tell them what he needs to practice and put the responsibility on them as well as the kid. And he won't be able to blag them that he hasn't got anything to do.
Last edited by zhilla at Jan 21, 2009,
tell the parents he's slacking and if he continues to not practice you'll have to drop him as a student. He's wasting your time and his.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Sounds like he's not practicing, if he's not, then he's not interested in the guitar.

I know it's easy to say "just think of the money", but if it's that bad, forget it. Let him, and his mum down gently.
Quote by zhilla
Give him songs with a couple of chords in, or teach him power chords so at least you can get him playing some tunes - he might be more inclined to practice if he can play something a bit more fun. Is he learning cos he wants to, or cos he thinks his parents want him to? If its the latter you've got no chance

He does want to learn, but his parents constantly interfere. For instance, when he first started, I recommended a Squier Strat. Cheap, affordable, and familiar. What did they do? They went off and bought a $400+ ACOUSTIC. It's a disaster.
Quote by Ace88
tell the parents he's slacking and if he continues to not practice you'll have to drop him as a student. He's wasting your time and his.

There you have it.

Or you could teach him how to play a lap steel (give that kid a slide and an open tuning, you'll be set).

EDIT:

Do his parents interfere in other ways?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
How do you guys recommend I "end" this if that is my decision? They are church friends, so hostility is NOT an option.
On second thoughts, may be you should get the 7 yr old to teach him instead.
Quote by mdc
On second thoughts, may be you should get the 7 yr old to teach him instead.

Classic.
Quote by Infernal Egg
How do you guys recommend I "end" this if that is my decision? They are church friends, so hostility is NOT an option.

Tell them you you told us.

Don't quit him right off the bat, though. Tell him the above. Say you aren't seeing the commitment you want to see. I'd imagine he would say that he's trying his best, but the fact is that he isn't practicing as he should. Just give him the warning, but don't let him off. Say that if you don't see improvement in his attitude (or anything, really) by x date, you'll drop him.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
If you do decide to give it up as a bad job, there's always the ultra-pc way of making it sound like its you not them - tell them you don't think you have the experience to teach him, or something

Might be better to explain that you don't feel like you're getting any progress though, and try and discuss with his parents what you feel the problem is. If they are paying you to teach him presumably they want him to learn, so maybe they are just a bit clueless. If you can get the mom to sit in on the lesson you can explain to her what you want him to practice and how.

When I was learning violin as a kid (with the scariest teacher in the universe, btw - she scared my mate so bad he wet himself, but I don't recommend you do that) we had 'practice sheets' we had to fill in each week - had to put a tick for each practice and get it signed by a parent (I was like 6 or 7 when I started) - might seem a bit anal but it makes the parent at least take some responsibility.
Might be slight off-topic, but you can get inspiration to teaching by looking at teaching sites. You know, like justinguitar.com and so on.

Maybe you'll notice that you did something wrong or get some ideas to improve your teaching.
Just a thought
Quote by Infernal Egg
I have been playing guitar for around 6 years now, and I'd consider myself "talented." I have taken up teaching young people how to play the guitar(I'm in High School by the way, not a creep-o old pedo) to pick up some extra cash and find my "heir apparent" in this community . I have a 7-year-old student who can play all open chords, and some open chord progressions with a top-speed of 198 BPM on a metronome(we're talking E-A-G, etc.). He's only been with me weekly for a month, and he claims to have never picked up a guitar.

Here's the problem: I have another student who's 10. He has been with me for 3-4 months now, and he is still struggling to play open chords(E, A, D, G, C, F). He can't even hold his guitar right(he constantly lays it down on his lap and plays it like a steel guitar...). I nag him about practicing, but I don't know if the message is going through. I have hit a brick wall with lesson planning, as I am now obviously repeating lessons over and over again("Here's the G chord"). I dread teaching this student, because I just don't think he has the will, or even the potential if he is really trying. His mom complains because she claims that he doesn't have any solid things to practice, when I have given him numerous chord diagrams and chord progressions to play. What should I do? Please help!

No. 1 rule to teaching..make it easier. Ive been through this over 10 years of teaching many times you just have to keep making it simpler.

For example

A chord

x
x
x

G Chord

x
x
x

Happy Birthday (low E) 0-0-2-0-5-4-----0-0-2-0-7-5

low string melodies and riffs half size chords. powerchords should be okay but when introducing new tunes practice with index finger only then add chords. make sure his guitar has low action (if acoustic get his guitar saddle filed) and thin strings. Stickers on the frets with sellotape to keep them on.

try not to totally thrash him with constant playing..lesson schedule..tune up (THEY tune up themselves) scales/warm up, revision of last weeks tunes, bit of reading practise, new tune, break, continue tune, jam/ear tests etc, games like fretboard trainer.

hope this helps, should keep the mother off your back and keep the kid interested.