I was wondering what the differences are between these models, and why the Thumb NT is so much more expensive than the Thumb Bolt-On.

What's more confusing is, I heard from owners of both that they prefer the cheaper Bolt-On by a mile.
I suppose its down to mainly personnal preference. The Nt is neckthrough. Ask on warwick forums.

But ya mainly personnal preference. Try them both. You thinking off getting another warwick.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
besides the B.O. looking way cooler? i'm pretty sure (i'm not) that because the NT is made of a different (probably better) wood it costs more
Quote by fatgoogle
I suppose its down to mainly personnal preference. The Nt is neckthrough. Ask on warwick forums.

But ya mainly personnal preference. Try them both. You thinking off getting another warwick.

I'm thinking about getting something a step up from my Corvette bubinga in the next couple of years. Depends what costs less at the time; a Thumb or a MM Stingray.
If you look well enogh, you could get them both for the same price. Ive seen thumbs for for 800 and ive seem MM go for 800.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The neckthrough has a Bubinga Pommele body, and a 3-band EQ, whereas the BO has an ovangkol body and 2-band eq. I think the BO has a Wenge fretboard rather than an Ebony one as well.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
The neckthrough has a Bubinga Pommele body, and a 3-band EQ, whereas the BO has an ovangkol body and 2-band eq. I think the BO has a Wenge fretboard rather than an Ebony one as well.

It's becoming more and more obvious that Warwick is aimed at people with exotic wood fetishes.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
People without exotic wood fetishses just aren't worth it

people with exotic wood basses are clearly compensating for their own wood
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
All I can say is I tried a used NT and all I have to say is meh. Not to say the sound isn't great, it is, but for that price just get a BO thumb or a $$ for cheaper and still get the same, if not better sounds.
I own both a '96 Thumb NT4 and a '97 Thumb BO5.

The Bolt-on is definately punchier and more aggressive, whereas the NT is smoother and much more detailed. Two very different, and yet very similar basses. Both balance about the same, and have the same essential Thumb tone. However, I really need to get fresh strings on the BO5 to do a more even comparison. The NT4 has brand new Fat Beams, but the BO5 has ancient SR2000's.

Mine are older, and have older wood configs. The BO has an ovangkol body with an all-wenge neck and fingerboard, while the NT has a Bubinga Pommelle body, 7-piece wenge/bubinga neck, and wenge fingerboard. Both are way heavy.

I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 22, 2009,
Don't they both have a 2-band EQ?

Also, the NT's body is much smaller, as the neck has 2 more frets than the BO. Tuning it to BEAD would result in as many tones as a 21-fret 5-string
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The really old Thumb NT's from the 80s and early 90s had 2-bands, but all beyond that point have 3-band EQ's. All BO's have 2-band.

The NT's body isn't any smaller, but the horns are elongated and the "neck pocket" between the horns is recessed a bit more. It only looks smaller.

Actually, I should say that the BO's neck joint area is elongated from the NT design to accomodate the bolt-on construction.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 22, 2009,
I have used both NT and BO and honestly I like the punch from the Thumb BO. Like stated previously by someone else, the neck through is really sustained and colourful. But I prefer the Bolt on. Right now I'm playing a Warwick Corvette $$ and I think it's better then the thumb bass