I've been doing this for over 6 years to record on my computer. One thing I've always wondered but never quite knew was, what would make the speakers crackle? i.e. the volume can still be down, but depending on my settings on a multi-effects pedal, you can still hear some distortion from the speakers. Would this have to do with the EQ settings/treble/gain/presence levels?
what is your gear???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The pedal is a Boss GT-6 and the guitar's a bc rich warlock NJ. Sometimes I'll play a bass through it too, it's a basic fender strat, or whatever the low level fender bass is. The speakers are....Creative 5700 5.1 I believe?
What sound card/interface do you have?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

It could be doing that because you simply have the level set too high on the GT-6, a lot of the time, that is the problem when people use that kind of setup.
Audigy 2 with the LiveDrive (cd-rom bay). The livedrive screwed up though so now I just pluf into the mic jack in the card itself
Quote by GNRjungle87
It could be doing that because you simply have the level set too high on the GT-6, a lot of the time, that is the problem when people use that kind of setup.

Well, then there's the problem of not having enough sound when you're recording...
Try turning up the volume in the sound card control panel or on the windows mixer?

It's annoying when theres several volume controls to check
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by GWARslave
Audigy 2 with the LiveDrive (cd-rom bay). The livedrive screwed up though so now I just pluf into the mic jack in the card itself
The mic input has a 20db boost on by default. You can turn it off in the recording volume control panel (usually and "advanced" button under mic). The boost can be causing distortion. if you are running th eheadphone out into the mic jack you are probably shorting one of the channels. So it's probably best to use the mono output to the amp to run to the mic input. I agree with GNRjungle87 that the GT-6 output set too high is your problem. And the mic boost would make it worse.
Quote by fly135
The mic input has a 20db boost on by default. You can turn it off in the recording volume control panel (usually and "advanced" button under mic). The boost can be causing distortion. if you are running th eheadphone out into the mic jack you are probably shorting one of the channels. So it's probably best to use the mono output to the amp to run to the mic input. I agree with GNRjungle87 that the GT-6 output set too high is your problem. And the mic boost would make it worse.

Ok, I know about the db boost, so I'll try that again. I haven't tried that in a while. I'm confused though on the part about shorting the channels?
The mic input is mono. The headphone output is stereo. If you plug a stereo plug into a mono jack it will short out the "ring", which carries one (the right) of the stereo channels.
Attachments:
300px-Jack_plug.png
Quote by GWARslave

Yea.. there you go. Do you have a Line-In? If so, try that.
Quote by fly135
The mic input is mono. The headphone output is stereo. If you plug a stereo plug into a mono jack it will short out the "ring", which carries one (the right) of the stereo channels.

I don't understand where the headphones come into play...I'm not using any. The only thing that's plugged into the mic/line-in jack in the sound card is my guitar.
Wait! I'm at work, but if I recall, I'm using a Y adaptor from 2 mono 1/4" inputs from the GT-6 to 1 1/4" stereo input, which I adapt to a 3.5mm stereo to plug into the sound card so I can hear from both speakers instead of just one..
Quote by 667
Yea.. there you go. Do you have a Line-In? If so, try that.

I think the mic/line-in are 1 and the same, I forget...
honestly, i doubt it'll ever sound good. Computer sound cards and computer speakers generally suck. I'd only ever recomend it if you had real monitors and a outside sound card/interface, such as getting;

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Lambda-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245506

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-Rokit-Powered-8-Generation-2?sku=482827

and using that to get your sound. If your Y splitting or using 1/8" to 1/4" adapters, your killing your sound. I haven't experimented with the USB stuff but i'd recommend that if you have to come up with some solution, but I still dont think it'll sound to great.
Quote by GWARslave
Wait! I'm at work, but if I recall, I'm using a Y adaptor from 2 mono 1/4" inputs from the GT-6 to 1 1/4" stereo input, which I adapt to a 3.5mm stereo to plug into the sound card so I can hear from both speakers instead of just one..
The mic in is a mono input. Line in is stereo. As an experiment try unplugging one of the GT-6 outputs and see if there is no change in sound from both speakers. If you are using mic in I predict that unplugging one of the GT-6 outputs will have no affect, and unplugging the other will completely mute the sound. It's better to use line-in than mic-in.

In addition, there is no reason why converting from 1/8" to 1/4" and vice versa should ruin your sound.
I haven't gotten an actual audio device or monitors cause I haven't put aside any money for them, it isn't a 'major' priority right now. But I figure it will be better than using a gaming card and speakers.

I'll check the outputs when I get home to see what's what.

I guess my overall question would be, would playing a guitar through regular speakers slowly damage them? Esp. with the crackling..
Quote by GWARslave
I guess my overall question would be, would playing a guitar through regular speakers slowly damage them? Esp. with the crackling..

Nah.
Ok, I just got home and did a little testing. I'm plugged into the Line-In on the sound card. I start off with a mono 1/4" from the GT-6, then I adapted to a 3.5mm stereo. So it was taking my mono signal and forcing it as stereo, which is what I wanted so I could hear from both sides and not just one. I don't have a 1/4" mono to 3.5mm mono, so I plugged into the mic jack in the back, which keeps it as a mono. In turn, I can actually turn it up a little louder, and use settings that would normally peak the speakers, with no problem at all. It must have been the force-to-stereo effect that screwed with the crackling, or it being in stereo in general.
Stratch that. I just noticed that I WAS plugged into the mic jack, and was playing stereo through that. I'm now plugged into the Line-In jack and it's coming out as mono, with all the good stuff I mentioned.
If you're playing out of the headphone jack on the GT6, it will be a good idea to get a stereo (TRS) 1/4" cable just so you get all the stereo effects from the GT6
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

It's not the headphone jack. It's the output jack that has L and R. I'm just plugged into the L
Ah, I know what you need! When I got my monitor speakers (which each have a mono 1/4" inputs), my sound card only had a 3.5mm stereo output so i had to get one of these:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMP15

It will work fine the other way around too (GT6 to computer)
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab