Okay guys, I'm just wondering what I can do. I'm not a bad kid at all. I haven't been to the office for anything, and I feel my cause is noble. Basically our drama teacher will cut out "unpleasant" parts out of the things we choose to do. One girl had a part that said God is Dead and she had to remove it. So I chose to do the meeting between The Gunslinger and The Man In Black as mine, mainly because it says how God may be ignoring us, same concept as hers. Well I did this hoping she will confront me about it. I want to argue with her and if I have to go to my principal trying to get the censorship uplifted. Is this a really bad idea? What can she legally do? I'm in U.S. public schools to give you an idea of our laws.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
i agree with you on this one. my teachers never pulled that bull****.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
I just think that the artists put words into their work for a reason. They put ideas in there for bigger reasons. They definitely don't want their work raped by some teacher.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Instead do the bit where Mordred meets Flagg/The Man In Black.

That'll get her moral high horse galloping.

Not sure if I have gotten to that part yet. I just started the fourth book and I'm at the part where Rhea was introduced.
Last edited by tayroar at Jan 21, 2009,
why are you looking for a fight? do a part you really wanna do, and if she happens to raise this issue, then whoop her ass, respectfully of course. however, wait for the right time.

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
Quote by tayroar
Not sure if I have gotten to that part yet. I just started the fourth book and I'm at the part where Rhea was introduced.
Forget I said anything *Neuraliser*
Freedom of speech is pulled as soon as you step foot in school and attempt to use it in a sense that 'disrupts' education.

Learned that the hard way.

If you're going to do it, don't be a fool about it. Bring it up in a discussion and attempt to find a middle ground.
Quote by that soccer kid
why are you looking for a fight? do a part you really wanna do, and if she happens to raise this issue, then whoop her ass, respectfully of course. however, wait for the right time.

Well, I actually do want to do this piece, it is incredibly philosophical and it isn't really like raunchy or anything. I am reading The Dark Tower series and I love them, so I decided to do a part from it.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Forget I said anything *Neuraliser*

No worries man, I already assumed the guy who saved the Tick Tock Man was The Man In Black.
Last edited by tayroar at Jan 21, 2009,
Explain the role that Edward Bond's play 'Saved' had in overturning outdated censorship laws in the UK. Theatre is such an essential art form because it has the ability to push boundaries in a very real, physical way, something that a medium like film can't. Theatre with censorship isn't theatre at all.

If that doesn't work, hand your teacher a Sarah Kane script and say 'if you don't let me do my piece, I'm going to put this on, complete with all the blood, guts, rape, masturbation and torture.'
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Just stay professional and there's not much she can do to you I reckon - except insist on censoring it anyway. Don't shout, don't swear, and don't insult her. Just put your point of view across assertively. If she still says she is censoring it, tell her you'd like to talk to the principal rather than letting it get to the point where she sends you. good luck
Well you should raise it regardless in a mature and articulate way then you might have a chance.

My drama class doesn't have any censorship, I didn't know any did.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
just do it, if you really have balls you won't worry about the consequences and you'll stand up for what you think is right
Quote by zhilla
Just stay professional and there's not much she can do to you I reckon - except insist on censoring it anyway. Don't shout, don't swear, and don't insult her. Just put your point of view across assertively. If she still says she is censoring it, tell her you'd like to talk to the principal rather than letting it get to the point where she sends you. good luck

Yeah, that is what I was planning to do. I'm kind of trying to work within her rules so she can't really get mad or anything. See, I kind of figure she'll look like the moron if she gets too upset about it.
it's going to hurt your case if you deliberately seek to wind up the teacher.

can't you just go to the principle in the first place and discuss it with him? at least that way he'll have to justify why it's not allowed.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Hopefully, she'll fail you for deliberately being an idiot.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Lemoninfluence
it's going to hurt your case if you deliberately seek to wind up the teacher.

can't you just go to the principle in the first place and discuss it with him? at least that way he'll have to justify why it's not allowed.

Well, I'm not gonna be obvious that I went out of my way for it. That would just be dumb.

Quote by rabidguitarist
Hopefully, she'll fail you for deliberately being an idiot.

If only we could all reach the intellectual superiority that is rabidguitarist. Then though we'd be a planet of gods.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
How is god ignoring us anything like the Nietzschian notion of god being dead? If your teacher was educated at all, she understand that your thing would actually be a lot more offensive than what was cut from the girl.

It basically says that the universe is very large, large to the point that we can't comprehend. For all we know the universe we know could be a part of a leaf of a larger universe and so on. So we are extremely arrogant to think that God serves our every problem. It also isn't even a large part to the story. If you read the book it will make sense. Good books they are.
Why are you doing a book extract, rather than a script, just out of interest? Or have I missed something?
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by neopowell
Why are you doing a book extract, rather than a script, just out of interest? Or have I missed something?

We are doing a prose. It is like reading something aloud basically. This is my first year doing drama so we keep it simple I guess.
Quote by tayroar
We are doing a prose. It is like reading something aloud basically. This is my first year doing drama so we keep it simple I guess.

Ahh I see, tell your teacher to get on with it and put you guys onto some Beckett.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by neopowell
Ahh I see, tell your teacher to get on with it and put you guys onto some Beckett.

Haha okay man. Will do.
Quote by tayroar
It basically says that the universe is very large, large to the point that we can't comprehend. For all we know the universe we know could be a part of a leaf of a larger universe and so on. So we are extremely arrogant to think that God serves our every problem. It also isn't even a large part to the story. If you read the book it will make sense. Good books they are.

I'm just saying, that's pretty different from the idea of god is dead, and all the conotation that goes along with it.

At any rate, it's a noble enough cause, but you're not going to get anywhere with it. Teachers need full controll over their classrooms to educate properly and saddly, some might use this control a little liberally, it's just unavoidable.
Quote by tayroar
I just think that the artists put words into their work for a reason. They put ideas in there for bigger reasons. They definitely don't want their work raped by some teacher.

Tell her this.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.