Anyone taken a psych class in college? I don't know anything about human psychology and I was wondering if it would help me with anxiety problems.
i'm taking one.

but unfortunately semester just started and i've only been to one class so far. next one is in about half an hour...

wish i could help. sorry.
Go Veg.
Quote by lpmarshall
Anyone taken a psych class in college? I don't know anything about human psychology and I was wondering if it would help me with anxiety problems.

Just the other day me and a friend were talking about if people took psychology just to deal with their own problems

Seriously though psychology is alot of fun, but don't just take it because you need help with a problem. Go see a counsellor or a shrink instead.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It wont necessarilly help you with anxiety problems rather than just inform you on what they are and the different ways to deal with them. Just go to a psychiatrist.. Or find someone who can get you benzos. Those are what i use to self medicate myself for my anxiety.
Well I know by taking that class alone it wouldn't solve my problems, but it shouldn't worsen my anxiety right?
You damn americans and your pills!
Quote by Kensai
Just the other day me and a friend were talking about if people took psychology just to deal with their own problems

Seriously though psychology is alot of fun, but don't just take it because you need help with a problem. Go see a counsellor or a shrink instead.

Im not taking it just for that of course, as I need credits for my college.

And yes, Im going to see a psychologist for the first time in a week.

I think a psych class would be beneficial in having more social skills ? I'm a shy person usually.
Last edited by lpmarshall at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Kensai

I wholeheartedly agree with Kensai, don't try and diagnose yourself if that's what you're thinking. Just because you show some sign of something doesn't mean you actually have it. If you're having problems see a professional. That's what they're for, helping you.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
People often associate psychology with the idea of sitting in an office and having a psychiatrist help with problems, but there are more people in the field for research than there are for straight psychiatry. If you take a 101 or other basic kind of course there will probably be some things that are relevant to what you're asking about, but most of the material will be different from that. I still recommend taking it though, very cool stuff.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
See, I love psychology, but I had to drop my interest in it. It got to the point where I'd like question my sanity and the motives others because of like I got way too into it. It is hard to explain how I got to that point but I'm over it now. It just sucks that I can't do my favorite science anymore.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by lpmarshall
Well I know by taking that class alone it wouldn't solve my problems, but it shouldn't worsen my anxiety right?

depends on how bad you have it, if you get stressed over work and stuff like that it might i dont know though its been a while since I seen my psycologist
Quote by lpmarshall
Im not taking it just for that of course, as I need credits for my college.

And yes, Im going to see a psychologist for the first time in a week.

I think a psych class would be beneficial in having more social skills ? I'm a shy person usually.

It could give you a better understanding of human social interaction which in turns lead you to ask why on earth would you be shy anyway? It's an eye-opener.

Quote by slaptasticdave
I wholeheartedly agree with Kensai, don't try and diagnose yourself if that's what you're thinking. Just because you show some sign of something doesn't mean you actually have it. If you're having problems see a professional. That's what they're for, helping you.

I think intro to psych is about the same as intro to econ. It's all either common sense, or presented so simply in class, that the pop version of that knowledge you already carry is just as valid as anything you're going to learn in class.

I'm a good student; I generally get excited about my classes and what I'm learning in them. I learned next to nothing in general psych. The only way it was good for my mental health was that we could go see couselors in training (for free) for extra credit. I didn't need any extra credit obviously, but I went a few times anyway and that was kind of neat.
you know, the school might have a counseling center free for students...
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama