well, im about to have the wrath of god put upon me by every pit-goer that opens this, but do you think that metal is all that complex in a theoretical sense?

i ask this for several reasons. for one, most metal chord progressions come from notes straight out of minor scales, and make liberal use of intervals such as the minor second, minor third, and diminished fifth (tritone). literally, i regularly hear songs based almost entirely off of a combination of these intervals. For another thing, key changes are almost non existent. I regularly hear people tell me how Lamb of God are some of the most "technical" players around today, but i looked at the sheet music book for their album, and every single key signature was D minor. Even Metallica, the biggest metal band of all time, i look through their sheet music, and every song on the album but one is in E minor (and even the one that started in A minor switched to E minor for the solo). Another thing is that many metal players get away without knowing things such as chord construction, since progressions in metal almost never make us of chords such as sevenths or ninths.

compare this to jazz players. jazz songs are almost always based on various types of seventh and other chords, never root 5th chords. the players know their modes inside and out, to the point where they assign certain modes to certain chords. odd meter and key changes are definitely frequent as well

dont get me wrong, i like to listen to heavy metal, its fun music to listen to and play. but im starting to think that metal guitarists might not be the most technical in the world. put kerry king up against Al di meola, see who comes out the winner
Metal can be pretty complex/technical.

But it doesn't even begin to rival Classical or Jazz.
Define Metal. Does it include such bands as Cynic, Meshuggah and Athiest? Then it's pretty damn technical

Of course, the vast majority of Metal isn't all that technical.
Call me Batman.
Quote by thegloaming
I regularly hear people tell me how Lamb of God are some of the most "technical" players around today, but i looked at the sheet music book for their album, and every single key signature was D minor.

i do agree to an extent obv some metal is complex from a theoretical point of view however yes jazz is much more complex and is imo better
althow i do love metal as well!!
so i spose, who cares lol
you make points thow (Y)
kudos to ya
jazz is pretty much the most complex, and there is some very complex metal out there you just have to look.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
As BGC said, this thread is completely ridiculous. It's obvious you're only posting it to provoke people. The question itself is pointless because you don't even define the word "complex".
The answer is, obviously, "it depends". I would have though that would be obvious.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jan 21, 2009,
You're a fúcking douche. Your statement is based around theory. It doesn't matter if it's played in key, out of key, in a mode, nothing.

The physical playing side of fast and technical death metal is only behind jazz and classical, nothing else.

Theory means nothing to how hard something is to play.
in response to the above tbh it does help make a songs arrangment less...well...dull if its a little more theoriticaly complex
and as far as physical playing goes you are right, but jazz does **** all over everything else
i write some "complex" riffs and chord progressions and *****. i usually only use keys for reference points when writing metal stuff. plus, i love ninth chords with distortion, they've got such a big sound.
but, you're not giving metal a full enough chance for complexity. listen to some Meshuggah, Dream Theater, or Opeth they are all very complex in their own respective ways. i would not look to Lamb of God or Metallica for complexity (I love them both, though, and LoG's new song, Set to Fail is pretty badass, just sayin)
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

Quote by Archeo Avis
The question itself is pointless because you don't even define the word "complex".
I didn't even catch this. TS, do you mean something like using complex numbers in rhythm, something like 7i/8 time?

On that note...

*reported*
utter ignorance displayed....

give me a genre and i'll give you something complex...

genre has nothing to do with it....

it's about knowledge, ability, and goals

i can show you plenty of metal that rivals the standards of jazz... and i can show you plenty of jazz and fusion that rivals anything else in complexity...

stupid post... fail...
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
in response to the above tbh it does help make a songs arrangment less...well...dull if its a little more theoriticaly complex
and as far as physical playing goes you are right, but jazz does **** all over everything else

Well in metal you can have multiple techniques in one verse or part of a song, played at high speeds in complex time signatures. I think that sorta makes it obvious it's more technical than 90% of the music out there. It's not a nice gentle foxtrot or the beatles is it?

EDIT: Not to say others can't, but you don't find this stuff in your average pop song do you? In my own experience, i can play Satch, Vai, Gilbert.....but i can't play Decapitated or Opeth.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Jan 21, 2009,