ok so when playing riffs that switch between palm muted notes on the sixth string and notes on the other five (i have no idea what to call it), is it worth it to get used to alternate picking these or is economy picking ok?

i probably didnt do a good job explaining what kind of riffs im talking about, so some example are:
the opening riff to empty inside by all that remains
the opening riff to day of justice by all shall perish

but anyway, is economy picking ok to stick with on those particular riffs or should i start alternate picking them?
I don't think alt/eco picking makes any difference, but I would bet that these riffs use fast downpicking. Many metal guitarists downpick almost everything to acheive a heavier sound.
It depends on what you're comfortable with. After sightreading those songs, I found it easier to alt-pick them, but you can try economy picking as well.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Danitarium
I don't think alt/eco picking makes any difference, but I would bet that these riffs use fast downpicking. Many metal guitarists downpick almost everything to acheive a heavier sound.

yea i sometimes downpick those type of riffs. but on some of them that are pretty fast with the sixth string, i think it makes more sense to alt pick/ economy pick them.
such songs are:
comfort betrays- as i lay dying
at about :58 in my fears have become phobias- as blood runs black

sorry i didnt use those examples in the first post. i dont know why i didnt since they better illustrate my question. thx for all the help guys i really appreciate it.
it really depends on the riff
and if you want it to sound like the band that plays it or not
It really depends on the riff.
 This needs to be economy picked.
D|----------------|----------------|----------------|
A|----------------|----------------|----------------|
F|----------------|----------------|----------------|
C|7---------------|--------5-------|----8-----5-----|
G|------8---------|--------------7-|----------------|
C|--0-0---0-0-0-0-|0-0-0-0---0-0---|0-0---0-0---0-0-|
PM  . .   . . . .  . . . .   . .    . .   . .   . .

D|----------------|----------------|----------------|
A|----------------|----------------|----------------|
F|----------------|----------------|----------------|
C|7---------------|--------5-------|----3-----------|
G|------5---------|--------------7-|----------5h7h8-|
C|--3-3---3-3-3-3-|3-3-3-3---3-3---|3-3---3-3-------|
PM  . .   . . . .  . . . .   . .    . .   . . 

This needs to be alt picked
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
||--------10-------------------10-------------------9-------------------9--------------|
||-------------12-------------------12------------------10------------------10---------|
||---------------------------------------0-0--0-0-0---0----0-0-0--0-0-0---0----0-7-7---|
||-0-0-0-0---0----0-0-0--0-0-0----0----0-----------------------------------------------|
   . . . .   .    . . .  . . .    .    . . .  . . .   .    . . .  . . .   .    . . .
Get my drift?
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.