Inspired by another thread, What is a good way to make string dampeners? Ive Seen MAB's but I don't want to buy one, so any good ways to make them yourself?

Whenever I make one out of scrunchies, rubber bands, ect, I always get a kind of twang, so it there anyway that I could just make it sound like a palm muted note?
I use a hairband.
bands/artists I've seen: Protest the Hero, LIGHTS, Andrew Bird, Flight of the Conchords, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Cynic, The Devin Townsend Project, Scale the Summit, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour
maybe fold some cloth till it's thick enough and put it UNDER the strings?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Just use a wristband
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
Quote by Life Is Brutal
To mute strings that ring out in intense alternate picking/sweeping/tapping sequences, usually for lead guitar. Like a muting capo.

for when it would be too hard to palm mute?
Quote by Metallica_Man55
for when it would be too hard to palm mute?

no, to stop excess ringing of the open strings, and make your playing sound cleaner.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
no, to stop excess ringing of the open strings, and make your playing sound cleaner.

oh ok.

my next question is the same as TS's (how to make one/what can be used)
Lol

I knew a guy who used a string dampener, so in a local jam session I asked him to play a jam with turns taking leads, based over an open string riff.

I turned up my amp louder, so no one heard him, so he had to put his amp louder, which in turn made his string noise louder, which resulted in people booing him off.

Moral of the story, use string dampeners only to record stuff, but develop muting techniques.

You will limit urself in the use of open strings, which limit ur music (everyone has written at least 1 lick or riff with opens strings.)

Muting noise isn't like super hard, ur just lazy if you can't learn to play without it rly.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by sglover34479
Herman Li just ties a sock around the neck.

And all his video's I watch he sounds extremely sloppy;

which proves my theory in my previous post ^^^

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
The only reason that you'd really need one is if you're two-hand tapping or tapping on two different necks like MAB.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Dont worry people.
I do Not Have a problem with excess string noise, and I mute open strings. When going less then 20NPS.
I NEEDED a string dampener, because I was going at about 26, and I wanted to record it.
But now the whole thing has become obsolete, because for the MP3 Player I recorded on, I had to slow down.
Quote by sglover34479
Herman Li just ties a sock around the neck.

lol ive never seen him do that its MAB you need to look out for
I use a sock, but I only use it for when I eight finger tap. I prefer to develop good hand muting technique for all situations.