Page 1 of 4
I had one and liked it a lot, feeling, looks, and sound. This bass has PUNCH.

Though I will warn you, the lack of a tone knob lessens its on-the-go versatility somewhat, though you can always tweak the sound on the amp itself. OR you could do what my friend did and put on a volume/tone stacked knob.
its not worth the price, just buy a MIM standard fender p bass and put seymour duncan quarter pounder pickups in it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
It's overpriced, but isn't a bad bass, IMO.

The string-through body is nice and the Quarter Pounders are great.

That said it's a niche instrument. It has one sound. As a beginner I would recomend getting something more versatile, so you can change and experiment with "your sound".
The good ole mark hoppus sig was the second bass i ever got. Its still one of my favs too. Go for it. Its defiantly worth $400.
i find that with bass's i own and have played i don't need a tone knob. i turn it up and forget its there
I play bass!
Well, it's a Jazz bass body with a P pickup, which is cool if you want the P sound but prefer the J body. It's also got no tone knob. I like to roll back on the tone sometimes so you can feel the bass without hearing it so much, so that would be a deal breaker for me, but if you don't see yourself using the tone, it's not a big deal and even makes it nice in it's simplicity. It also has a J neck which is smaller and better for people with smaller hands. The stock pickup is a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, which sounds big and fat. I've got one in one of my basses and I don't think it's the greatest, it seems like it made my tone fatter, but duller than it was before. There isn't a whole lot of life in it. But it is the go-to pickup for pop punk. As far as build quality, it's got great reviews.

But you should consider buying it based on what features you think are pros and what you think are cons. Don't get it just because it's got Mark's signature on it.
If it's the model with the reversed pickup, I'd say go for it. The reversed split-coil tightens the bottom and fattens the top, giving it a smoother tone.

I've played a few and I liked them for what they were.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0138300357

Well, looking here it's got a P neck, which is going to be wider. I'm not sure what mountaindew88 means by reversed pups. They're just Quarter Pounders, and after market pickup that a lot of pop-punk and modern rock bassists put in their basses. Here the site for them: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/spb3_quarterpou/
I quite like his sig bass.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0138300357

Well, looking here it's got a P neck, which is going to be wider. I'm not sure what mountaindew88 means by reversed pups. They're just Quarter Pounders, and after market pickup that a lot of pop-punk and modern rock bassists put in their basses. Here the site for them: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/spb3_quarterpou/

By pick-ups reversed he means like this:
Sorry, I distinctly remember an issue of Bass Player where he was talking about reversing the polepieces of his P-pickup on his sig bass. It was the issue with BX3 on the cover. I was pretty sure it went into production, but I guess not. My bad. However, his personal bass does have the mod:

EDIT: Captain Insano beat me to it, but you get the picture. If the production-model basses have this arrangement, I'd highly recommend it over the standard split-coil.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 22, 2009,
Hmmm... that doesn't look like the sig model. That looks like one someone made to look like it, or maybe an older version. It doesn't have Mark's name on the headstock and it's got a tort pickguard instead of white pearloid. And Fender's pictures of the bass show it with normal P pickup position, with the top half under the E and A strings.
I found it, it's in Bass Player Magazine from Feb. 2007. Page 54:

Quote by Mark Hoppus
"We just did another generation of the signature bass that sounds phenomenal. I'm really stoked on it- I wish I'd had it for the recording (of When Your Heart Stops Beating). We changed the P-Bass pickup so it's reversed; the magnet under the D and G strings is closer to the neck, rather than the bridge. I was telling Jerry Finn that I normally play notes high up on the A string rather than on the D or G strings, because those strings sound thinner. He suggested reversing the pickup position."

Believe it! Plus, I just posted a shot of Mark playing that bass. There's scads of photos of him with it, including in the aforementioned issue of Bass Player. He's also playing it in Bass Guitar Magazine from April 2007, pp. 49-50.
According to Fender.com, they haven't updated the Hoppus bass since 2002. So I guess it didn't go into production; he must have the only ones like it.

Sorry for all the nerdy bantering BassGirl. Point is, if you really like the bass, get it. It's a great starter instrument. Any Mexican-made Fender is.
the bass that mark hoppus played/plays is not the MIM Mark Hoppus bass. He always had custom shop basses. So, you're not going to get the exact same bass as him, but... I'd like to hear the differance in those pickups, actually...

In anycase, I almost got one of these a few years back (about 5 years, now...) and was at the counter with the money saying, "I'd like the Mark Hoppus bass in torquiose," when a Fender Deluxe P caught my eyes. The Hoppus bass is great (P width neck, SPB-3 Pickup, string thru bridge, jazz body, looks and sounds great) but it's got no versatility to it. So, I got the P-bass deluxe and I've been happy ever since. Just try out a bunch of basses before you buy it, you'll want to know what else is out there.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by BassGirl182
I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to a bass's specs and all that. lol

What's a quarter pounder?

It's Seymour Duncan's split-coil P-Bass replacement pickup. It's gives a good rock tone; very punchy and aggressive.
Quote by mountaindew88
It's Seymour Duncan's split-coil P-Bass replacement pickup. It's gives a good rock tone; very punchy and aggressive.

Split-coil P-bass replacment pickup?

I have no idea what that is...

-edit

I'll be taking that Mark pic...
Last edited by BassGirl182 at Jan 22, 2009,
The pickup is the electromagnet on the body which "picks up" the vibrations of the steel string and turns it into an electrical signal. A split-coil pickup is also known as a P-Bass pickup, as it first appeared on Fender Precision Basses in 1957. The pickup is still extremely popular and is used on hundreds of different types of basses.

Lots of companies make replacement pickups for stock basses to improve or alter the tone. Seymour Duncan is one of the largest of these companies, and the Quarter-Pounder is their P-Bass replacement pickup. It gives a hotter, higher-output signal than a standard Fender pickup, which would normally appear in that bass. Mark Hoppus wanted the hot signal, so his sig bass comes stock with the Quarter-Pounder pickup already installed.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!
Actually, dark plastic things full of metal.... alnico or ceramic pole pieces wrapped hundreds of times in copper wire, and then cased in plastic.

For $400 smackers, there's much better you could buy. Like these nice gentlemen said, the Mark Hoppus bass is great if you just want one tone. If you want to experiment, I'd go for a different P bass, like a Fender Standard P bass. You'll need an amp, too. I'm sure your local music store can hook you up.

Or, for $400 you can buy me and I'll come out and spend the night, either way.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Yeah go for it.
if you ever really need a tone knob, just put one in its not too difficult.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I see on your profile you're a Mark Hoppus fan.....if you like playing Blink-182/pop punk mainly, then this is the one for you.
Quote by xtearstainedx
why buy a 700$ bass guitar for your first bass?

She's buying it used, she loves pop-punk, and I'm guessing she wants to spend more time playing than tweaking controls. For her applications, it really doesn't get any better for a first bass.
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by BassGirl182
You sure know a lot about bass guitars!

I should've named myself "BeginnerBassGirl182"

well, after scanning these forums for a while, you'll know a hell of a lot about everything. lol
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Or, for $400 you can buy me and I'll come out and spend the night, either way.

Um...what? lol

@Always Ben: I love mostly pop punk bands. I wanted to sound more like Blink anyway.

I could always get another bass some other time. This is just for my first bass.
Quote by BassGirl182
Um...what? lol

@Always Ben: I love mostly pop punk bands. I wanted to sound more like Blink anyway.

I could always get another bass some other time. This is just for my first bass.

Then you'd be a lot like me. My first non-crappy bass was the Hoppus, bought for $350 on ebay. I was and still am a Blink fan, and it served me well. It held me over for quite a while---go and pull the trigger.
Quote by BassGirl182
Um...what? lol

you're a girl... on the internet... on a forum full of weird, creepy teenage guitarists... better get used to it.

In anycase, if you're into the whole, "pop-punk" think, you might want to consider a few things. Do you play guitar at all?

Anyway, the Mark Hoppus bass is going to give you one sound: loud, punchy and aggressive. I've got a quater-pounder (that's the pickup in the Mark Hoppus bass) in my P-bass deluxe and it sounds great, like... AMAZING. I love it. Not my favorite sound, but it's good. The Hoppus bass is well built and well appointed and looks cool, but...

You might want to look at the Pete Wentz bass (I'd imagine that anyone into Blink 182 couldn't have an issue with FOB) it's a pretty well made bass for the money, it's cheap, looks good and sounds just like the Mark Hoppus bass, just a touch brighter and thinner (cause of the Maple fretboard and pickups) IMO. But, for the $280, it's well worth it.

The Steve Harris bass would be a GREAT choice. I mean... like... best choice. That thing's packing that same quater-pounder pickup, but it's also got a Bad-ass II bridge on it, which is the best bridge you can get for a Fender style bass, add's sustain and girth to your tone, I love it. Plus, the Steve Harris has a tone knob on it.

If you're looking for something like the Mark Hoppus/Steve Harris/Pete Wentz that has good, cutting tone to it: any Jazz bass. Quater-pounders give you a similar tone to a Jazz bass, only, you retain that big, beefy low-end that the P-basses are known for. So, you might want to look into those. I think the Geddy Lee Bass and the Highway 1 basses have the Bad-Ass II bridges, which... is one of the first things I look at on the new basses.

Also, I noticed: you're a girl. Are you a petite girl? Cause, size might be another factor. You may not be comfortable with a full size 34" bass, you might want to look into something smaller: which limits your options. And also, consider wieght. The Fender Mustang Bass, or any older Bullet Bass or Musicmaster may be your best choices from Fender, if size is in issue. If you did need something smaller, I know that Squier used to make a Musicmaster Venus bass, which could adapt to use single coil P-bass pickups. In that case, you could put the quater-pounder single coil into the Venus and get a pretty good tone in respect to what you're looking for.

I threw a whole lot out there at once, didn't I? Also, consider amps. It's no good to have an awesome bass but a flabby, fuzzy speakered 15watt crate amp.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
^ You'd better erase that last paragraph before Tam gets in here. Small people do just fine with full-size basses. Tal Wilkenfield manages just fine, and I think she's smaller than Tam is!

BassGirl, I know this is a lot of info to take in at once, but you'll get used to it. Hang around the forums for a while and you'll know as much as any of us.

As far as the bass goes, if you like it, grab it. However, I would suggest going to a music store of some sort, preferably Guitar Center, and trying out as many basses as you can. It may be that you don't like Precisions, in which case buying this one would do nothing but discourage you from playing.

Also, I agree with the above posts...what amp are you getting? A little 10" combo isn't going to be very fun to play with...You want something that will let you feel the bass, as well as hear it. Since you're apparently not averse to buying used, I'd look for an old Peavey amp on eBay. Their old stuff not only sounds good, but is indestructible. By old stuff, I mean the 80's and early 90's stuff, with the silver stripes down either side like this. That would be a very good amp to start with.
Nope, no sig here.
I don't want to hear a damn thing about petite girls having problems with scale length or bass size:

Jen Zeilenbach

Meshell Ndgeocello

Kathy Coppola

Melissa Auf de Maur

Emma Anzai

Ginger

Esperanza Spalding
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by BassGirl182
Um...what? lol

ignore him, he can't get any action in real life so he tries on the internet.

but it means nothing, I've done that kinda thing with other guys and I'm seriously dating a sexy girl.

anyways, pop punk, I would stick with something simple. the big benefit of the Hoppus is you are just playing. that's all you have to do. no touching the tone knob. but, musically, playing music can change your taste a little. I hated Primus, metal, classic rock, and purely listened to bands like Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Jimmy Eat World before I started. after being bored as a player for a while, I realized that I was listening to music because it sounded fresh and creative, and quickly got into where it started for me, all the psychedelia and the old school blues that made that, and built on that. I learned to appreciate the art much more fully. in doing so I changed.

you are going after a great bass- for pop-punk. if you ever do what I did, you will no doubt want a new bass. think about it. you can't get that thing to thump as well. you will not get the same thump a normal bass would. that thing will fit ok in most places, but it has been made for pop-punk that is the fit. I would suggest looking at a normal P-bass, if you ever start listening to reggae, classic rock, or funk, that bass may not be so perfect anymore.

I will get flamed no doubt, but this is my honest opinion based on my experiences.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Pete Wentz bass? LMAO! I'm not buying anything made by that f**! I HATE FOB!
I'll try to look past Mark making music with them...

Anyways, I'm pretty light weight. I thought about it, and I wondered if a bass would be too big for me. I'd probably look pretty small compared to it. lol Oh well! it's just more of a challenge for me!

I recently stumbled upon this girl on youtube who has really great bass skills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ReDe5hfmmw

If she can do it, I sure can!

BTW what kind of bass is she playing?
Page 1 of 4