I just bought a mid 90's (I think) Ibanez S470 FM with EMG pickups used for about 400 (dont know if thats a good deal or not but thats not the question here)

Anyways it has the Lo-TRS tremolo on it. Now I've never had any experience with a Floyd Rose before (other guitar is an Ibanez RG120 so that doesnt count I'm pretty sure since its not a floating bridge) but I read nothing but bad things about the Lo-TRS...and also I see that most people like the ZR tremolo on the newer models.

Ok so my question(s) is(are): Would having the Lo-TRS trem matter to someone who has never played on a floyd rose before? And if it does...will a ZR trem from a newer model work on mine?

Thanks in advance folks
Elitists and Hypocrites
zr trem won't fit without extensive mods. your best bet is likely an OFR or similar, but check routing, the size of your studs etc. to make sure it'll fit.

whether the lo-trs will work for you really depends on how good condition the trem's in... if the knife edges are shot, it's not going to be great...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
zr trem won't fit without extensive mods. your best bet is likely an OFR or similar, but check routing, the size of your studs etc. to make sure it'll fit.

whether the lo-trs will work for you really depends on how good condition the trem's in... if the knife edges are shot, it's not going to be great...

See and thats how new I am to Floyds lol...

The knife edge would be...where the strings come out of the bridge back up to the tuners? And how might I know if they are shot?
Elitists and Hypocrites
The knife edges are where the bridge rests on the two posts either side of it. It should taper down to a, well, knife edge. The bridge pivots on these edges.

It's 'shot' when the posts begin to wear into the knife edge. This will affect the performance of the tremolo. How much is another question. I can imagine it beginning to sit out of place with enough wear.
^ yeah, that's it. you'll probably have to take it off to see if the knife edges are shot...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

tis website holds the answers to ALL of your trem related questions! read it, re-read it,...AND READ IT ALL AGAIN! :P:
it will really help you out will learning about double locking trem systems and also just general knoledge guitar care and mantenence!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

tis website holds the answers to ALL of your trem related questions! read it, re-read it,...AND READ IT ALL AGAIN! :P:
it will really help you out will learning about double locking trem systems and also just general knoledge guitar care and mantenence!

Right on man thank you for that site that is really helping
Elitists and Hypocrites