Help! I'm a computer noob, I have acquired a pc, but somehow during delivery the cpu fan has come off from the chip! I stuck it back on with the clips, hardly any grease left on the underside. So I've clipped it in and when I fire up the system it gets to the ms dos screen, goes to load the processor and just totally cuts out, anyone knw what I can do?
Quote by enomushiki
I don't know what a CPU fan is. Guess I'm a bigger n00b.
It is a fan that goes on the CPU of your computer.
Go get something called thermal compound and find some instructions on how to use it. I think that is what your problem is but the wording of your question is somewhat vauge.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
I think so, is it that like bronze coloured thing on the bottom of the fan? Like the chip is fully visable with like a smidge of grease then on the underside of the fan there's a bronze "block" with a smidge of grease, I used those metal things either side of the fan to clip it in....
Quote by Ironbodom
Go get something called thermal compound and find some instructions on how to use it. I think that is what your problem is but the wording of your question is somewhat vauge.
I think this guy has it, you don't have enough thermal paste.
Quote by Mr.Maccy
I think so, is it that like bronze coloured thing on the bottom of the fan? Like the chip is fully visable with like a smidge of grease then on the underside of the fan there's a bronze "block" with a smidge of grease, I used those metal things either side of the fan to clip it in....

Is the actual CPU chip still attached to the motherboard?

Edit:
If it is then most likely you need thermal compound or your CPU is fried like that guy said.

If it is not then don't mess with it and take it to a professional (you don't want to break it or bend a pin trying to get it off)

Edit Edit:
Take some pics and post them here if you can.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Last edited by Ironbodom at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Mr.Maccy
Help! I'm a computer noob, I have acquired a pc, but somehow during delivery the cpu fan has come off from the chip! I stuck it back on with the clips, hardly any grease left on the underside. So I've clipped it in and when I fire up the system it gets to the ms dos screen, goes to load the processor and just totally cuts out, anyone knw what I can do?

Umm that's not grease. That is thermal paste. It transfers all that heat from the processor to the heat sink (The big metal thing with the fan). Any time you take off the heat sink you need to apply new thermal paste.

You put a drop on the round copper thing and swipe with a credit card or something to spread it evenly. It might take some trial and error to get right.

Wait...There we go: http://www.frozencpu.com/resource/r8/How_to_Apply_Thermal_Paste.html

You can see what properly applied paste should look like. Hope that helped...
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Last edited by X-Boy at Jan 21, 2009,
ahh i see thanks man, once i apply this paste should my pc actually fully boot and run?
Yeah...

The reason your PC keeps shutting down is cause when the processor overheats it shuts itself down to prevent damage. It's built in thermal protection. And since there is no paste between the heatsink and the processor it's heating up and the shutdown is getting triggered.
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

u have to take the old stuff first with like rubbing alcohol, take it all off and dont use too much thermal grrease just a really thin coat. REALLY thin.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Alright, thanks for that yesterday I applied the gel and it fires up, next problem....no bios found! Please insert system disk, disk boot failure...what the heck? What do I do?
Wait does the comp just do nothing, or does it tell you disk boot failure ?

Can you keep pressing the delete key when you switch it on to go into the bios ?
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

yeah it says disk boot failure, please insert system disk, i can press del at the beggining to bring up the scary menu
K then it's an issue with your hard disk. You might have to format your hard disk and re install windows. Your BIOS is fine.

Do you know how to do that? Reinstall windows that is?
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

right, i cant do shop as im broke, its do or die, where do i go from here to format? i dont have an xp disk but i do have the serial number on zee side of the case if that helps? i appreciate this help man
I can get a xp disk, what do I do from here?
Last edited by Mr.Maccy at Jan 22, 2009,
Umm you need an xp cd to install it.

How many hard disks are in there anyways? Cause if you have 2 then maybe the operating system is on the other one.

Can't you get your friend to install and help you out ?
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

He works nights! Nevermind, I just have the one hard drive... thanks for your help so far anyway, I realise how annoying this is. I have now dug out an xp disk but dnt know how to format the hard drive! I shall google it to save you the pain

Cheers
It's not that hard.

Here's what you have to do.

Insert the disk and from then on just follow the instructions. It's pretty obvious except for the part asking you about how you want to partition your hard drive.

But after inserting the disk if it still says boot failure then you need to go into the bios ( the scary blue menu ) and change the boot device to your cd rom so that it starts up from the cd rather than the hard disk.

Do that and i'll be here for a while..so if you need help i'll help you out. Good karma is good

EDIT:

I got this from a website...follow the instructions.

When starting from a new system or in the case that your system is failing and that you need do startup from your CD drive to repair it, most probably your PC will start from your hard disk, whether you inserted a CD.

In this case you need to change the boot sequence of your peripherals (floppy drive, CD, hard disk, network….) in your BIOS.

Depending on the model of your PC, access your BIOS by pressing the F5, Delete or F8 key.

Select the Advanced BIOS Features and choose the select the sequence for your boot device. (First boot device).

You need to choose the name of your cd drive.
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Last edited by X-Boy at Jan 22, 2009,
Ok dokie, right, I can get it to boot from disk, goes onto a loading windows files screen, gets right near 100 percent then power off, I have to literally unplug at the wall and restart.....
Quote by Chaosinborn
your processor is probably fried. with no heatsink they go easy

Not really.

Your processor should only die if there is inadequte cooling AND you have it overclocked to ignore its auto-shutoff temperatures.

Generally, when your CPU gets too hot, your computer should automatically turn off.

Lots of people have mentioned thermal compound, someone may have already mentioned, but it comes on a syringe like container, and you apply a SMALL SMALL SMALL blob in the middle of the CPU, and then place the fan on top and push down, then clip it into its clips.

If you do it right, then the thermal compound should squish out in a VERY THIN layer all around the CPU, without any flowing out of te side. If it does, then wipe it away with a tissue or something.

There should be enough thermal compound on the CPU to cover the whole thing, bridging the CPU and the CPU cooler all over it. If you use too much, it will act as an insulator and therefore have the opposite effect.

If this doesn't work, it's possible that when the fan fell off the CPU, it damaged another component of the computer, which is preventing it from working correctly. Check everything, and make sure there aren't any pieces of motherboard lying on the floor anywhere...

EDIT: I was obviously painfully late...

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Apologies for the double post.

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Ok dokie, right, I can get it to boot from disk, goes onto a loading windows files screen, gets right near 100 percent then power off, I have to literally unplug at the wall and restart.....

How many times have you tried this?

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Well since you got it booting from the CD, as long as you get the heat issue fixed you should be good to go...Hopefully it is a heat issue.

Did you get the head compound applied properly? IF you remember i linked you to a picture with properly applied compound. Did it look like that? The link is in the first page btw...
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

More than likley bad ram, trying getting Memtest and try leaving it over night to check your memory.

It's now either your RAM or your HDD that is bad.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Yeah...but he can't run memtest cause his pc doesn't have an OS. K how bout you take the ram and try it in your other computer? This is going to take a while....

Or if you know how to, you can connect the hard disk to your working computer. Then boot from the CD and install XP on that hard disk. And then put the hard disk back into the comp.
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

right =) me again, next stage, im running a full recovery, box says please wait hdd preperation in progress.....blue load bar goes about a quarter of the way before it says error, name drive with a letter, error name boot with a letter, the computer then shuts down, restarts and im back exactly where i was before although the bar is still at a quarter, no error messages but it hasnt moved in 15 minutes, ****ed much or is this normal for a recovery prep?