So there is this guy who will replace the nut on my epiphone sg because mine has a big chunk missing. He will replace it with a bone nut and will charge me 70 american dollars. Am i getting ripped off?
Yes

/end thread.

Spend $7 and do it yourself.

/double end thread.

No it's not hard

/triple end thread.

If you dont know how, use searchbar+ google.

/quaddriple end thread.

No im not saying your stupid, im just answering every possible thing that the average person will ask in response to my answer.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Jan 21, 2009,
hell yes, all you have to do is tap it out and then put a new one on there, you can glue it in if you want but the strings will hold it in place fine

/ fivedruple end thread
Quote by metalwarrior40
Yes

/end thread.

Spend $7 and do it yourself.

/double end thread.

No it's not hard

/triple end thread.

If you dont know how, use searchbar+ google.

/quaddriple end thread.

No im not saying your stupid, im just answering every possible thing that the average person will ask in response to my answer.
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone has all the files and skills required to properly slot a nut. And a preslotted nut is likely to bind, causing tuning instability. Simply changing a nut is easy, but doing it properly requires expensive specialty files and skill.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
crafting a nut is VERY expensive, but usually only required on vintage instruments. if i am making a hand-fit nut on... lets say... a vintage martin or gibson where you cant buy a pre-slotted nut that will fit perfectly, i charge 60-100 (100 being a 12 string) because it is HARD work. if you prove the nut, he will probably file the slots to the right depths for 20 bucks or so.
True, but almost everyone has the skills and tools to buy one of allparts. (@ DuctTapeNinja)

/hextouple end thread.

Changing a nut is easy as hell, and doing it properly is easy as hell too.

/septouple end thread.

There isn't much point in making your own nut unless you need custom sizes, because files are so expensive. You can just buy it for $5.

/octouple end thread.

EDIT:

An Epiphone SG you say?

http://www.allparts.com/store/nuts-saddles-tusq-graphite-ebanol-nuts-bn-0833-00g,Product.asp

Measure your own to be sure, but that's probably it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Øttər
True, but almost everyone has the skills and tools to buy one of allparts. (@ DuctTapeNinja)
As I said, preslotted nuts are likely to bind.

Quote by Øttər
Changing a nut is easy as hell, and doing it properly is easy as hell too.
Physically swapping the nuts is. I include filing the slots it so it fits right, and not just "good enough" in changing it though, and that takes a little skill

You can get all the files you'd need for about the price of a pro setup though, but your first nut or two will not be any better than a preslotted nut. You will likely make the slots too loose until you've had a little experience.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Its not hard at all to put a preslotted nut in a guitar. You knock the old one out and glue a new one in. Will it be right this way maybe, maybe not. An improperly fitted nut can create alot of problems. There is a fair amount of experience and skill involved in fitting a bone nut. Both of which cost money. As do the specialized tools to do it. Also it smells terrible when you use a file on it. If done right it will play like a different guitar. You would be surprised at how much of a difference it can make.