ok I saw someone on here asking how to fix the action on his strat, and I went on there and asked if someone knew how to fix it for an sg. no one answered and since the strat is so much different than then sg, I still dont know what to do, if I lower the bridge there is massive hum on some of the HIGH frets, and if I higher it its too high...what should I do? should I loosen the truss rod?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
its raise btw...
and no you never mess with the truss rod for your action...it seems As though your out of luck, is the action really too high? Maybe get a different bridge or something idk what to tell you.
Quote by stratdud39
its raise btw...
and no you never mess with the truss rod for your action...it seems As though your out of luck, is the action really too high? Maybe get a different bridge or something idk what to tell you.

tru u dont mess with the truss for the action but it can relieve the buzz at the higher frets, google it if u want to do it yourself or you can take it to a tech and get a full setup for like $30 if ur unsure of doin it on ur own
I'm a little confused. You made it sound like you didnt know how to lower the action on an SG, but you said you lowered the bridge (which, is, how you lower the action on a Tune-O-Matic). If you lowered it and you are getting fret buzz, you need to check a couple of things. First check the relief of your neck (how tight/loose your truss rod is). Fret your thicker E string at the 1st fret, and at the 17th fret. How much of a gap is there between the string and the 8th fret? If there is no gap and its touching, that means your neck has no relief and you need to loosen your truss rod. If there is a gap (which is good for ridding fret buzz), your issue is not with the truss rod but instead most likely un-even or high frets (which Epiphone G-400's are bad about).

So, set the action where you like it (without worrying about buzz), make sure your neck has a little relief, and if you then still are getting buzz, it means you need some fretwork done by a professional. A pro will be able to level your frets. I have a G-400 that came with way high action....after I set it where I wanted it and made sure the neck was where it needed to be, it buzzed at the 13th fret. I had it leveled and its smooth as can be. Unfortunately, Epiphone can't be a little more like Fender and setup out of the factory a little lower action.....they don't hear any buzz in quality because the action is like an acoustic guitar.
Absolutely you can adj the truss rod! Flatten it out a little bit (1/8 turn), then lower the bridge as far as it will go without string buzz. If it still isn't low enough, repeat.

Make sure you set your intonation afterward (adjust bridge saddle length until the note at the 12th fret plays in tune with the open string and/or the harmonic).