The Guitar BASS speakers are blowing out fast.

Is there a way to protect them being damaged so fast? Is this normal for bass speakers?

A number of different bass players are sharing the bass amp & speakers at church. The speakers dont last long before they turn to pieces. I guess they have the volumn up too high??

Is there a way to install circuit breakers in the speaker cabinet? or some other protection device?

How long should bass speakers last anyways??

i dont have the amp or speaker info to share at this time.

Please let me know what the fix for this would be.

thanks in advance.
Are you using a bass cab and not a guitar cab? Is the amp matched up with the spekers for wattage?
Quote by hippiebass
Are you using a bass cab and not a guitar cab? Is the amp matched up with the spekers for wattage?

yes, the amps and cabs were a matched set.

i'll have more info tomorrow.
They should last a long time no matter whos using them. To much wattage = blown speakers. Guitar speakers with a bass = blown speakers.
Quote by Micehorns
....Are you using Behringer cabs?

i think one of them is a Behringer cab. why do you ask?
Quote by Micehorns

ok, but the amp head is fine. its the cab speakers that are the problem.

so i guess their speakers are cheap or misrated as well.

the speakers blew out, then the speakers were replaced/repaired then blew out again within a few months. i dont know yet if they were replaced with a decent set of replacement speakers or not.

what brand of replacement speakers should i use in the cab and which should be avoided ??
Quote by BR0THERALEX
ok, but the amp head is fine. its the cab speakers that are the problem.

so i guess their speakers are cheap or misrated as well.

the speakers blew out, then the speakers were replaced/repaired then blew out again within a few months. i dont know yet if they were replaced with a decent set of replacement speakers or not.

what brand of replacement speakers should i use in the cab and which should be avoided ??

http://www.eminence.com/bass.asp?speaker_size=10

http://professional.celestion.com/bass/

Carvin also make bass speakers. Couldnt find them on their website.

I really like Celestion speakers, I tried them in a homemade bass cab a few years back, the "Orange" series, limme check which one... 2 X BN10-300S. It all depends on what size of speaker you're looking for and if you want a thumpy bass tone or a more modern punchy tone. Check the Ohms match up, check Wattage and check Frequency range, as you can see the larger speakers handle low end better, but 10 inch can handle higher frequencies, giving a more "Tight, punchy" tone.
thanks, so how long should BASS speakers last??

These speakers are used about 4 days a week or figure about 30 songs a week.

thanks for your input
I had a 1960s ampeg with the factory speaker in it. So if not abused they should last a long long time.
Have a look at my column on matching speakers and amps. Bass guitar is very demanding of speakers because to produce deep notes you need to shift a lot of air. this means the speakers move forward and back a long way and unless they are well designed they will move beyond the point of no return start to misalign and break down.

The other problem is with overheating if you use them for a long time at high volumes. to avoid this problem look at the rating of the speaker in watts. For technical reasons amplifiers can produce 1.414 times their rated output so use a conservatively rated speaker. At least 150W with a 100W amp. 200 is better

Behringer have a terrible reputation. Obviously we cannot tell what the rplacements were but properly designed and specced speakers should last 10-20 years

As a temporary measure you could try using some bass cut on the tone controls. If the amp gives a big thump on switch on then switch on first with the speaker unplugged then plug the speaker in a few seconds later.