I've been having a massive feedback problem. My gear, is an old les paul custom. Randall Rh-150d. An Ampeg 2x12 cab =\. Generic Instrument cables. Boss-ns2 noise suppresor.

Anyway. I've just started a band (metal) high gain settings, everyone's cranked. I have terrible feedback so I looked up advice on here. Basically I thought all I need is a noise suppressor. But it hasn't helped in the slightest.

It feeds back even while Im playing constantly. When I try and mute the strings, only if I mute them in the perfect spot, will it start to kill the feedback over a period of about 5 seconds. This is driving me insane.

I replaced all the cords. Brand new.

I've also tried laying off the gain.

I tried my other guitarist's guitar, which seemed better but not perfect.

I Stood about 20 feet away, and adjacent to and turned away from the cab. Still no good.

Things I suspect are the problem:
1)Cab. It's a bass cab.

2)The les paul. It's very old, and I notice that when I point the pickups at electronic devices it hums.

3)No knowledge of what My threshold and decay settings should be at on the ns-2

4) Its supposedly a very "Noisy" amp... and its just the amp and Im stuck with a piece of ****.

5)Located in an unfinished basement.

Please any ideas are helpful. I'm a total noob when it comes to gear, so I hope I just overlooked something obvious =[. Thanks in advance.
If the guitar is old it's likely that you have microphonic pickups.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
1) Shouldn't matter.

2) VERY POSSIBLE. Try your other guitarists', guitar in your setup.

3) Well threshold is where it should "begin" ? But I've never used that pedal so I can't help much... fiddle with it is my only advice there.

4) Ehhhh doesn't sound like it. Especially if you've fiddled with the gain.

5) Very possible yes. I notice a huge difference in the amount of feedback in a garage with uninsulated walls, versus an add-on room with carpet.

I'm leaning towards your guitar.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Put threshold at max and have the decay at about 9 o'clock
Guitars
BC Rich Deluxe Series Warlock
Schecter Devil Custom

Amps
Crate GX900-h w/ GX412S cab

Effects
Boss NS-2
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Korg Pitchblak
Use an EQ pedal or a rack EQ, you will be able to cut the feedback frequency.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah very old Pickups. Although they are humbuckers, I think they could be the main problem.

Unfortunately I dont have much of a choice of where I'm playing. Maybe my parents will finish this basement, they've been thinking of it for a while... thank god.
Try hanging carpets or blankets up and put carpets on the floor
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)