It's so you can warm the tubes up before playing sound through the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's so you can warm the tubes up before playing sound through the amp.

/thread.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
after you turn on the amp, you leave it on standby for 30 seconds before playing, unless you wanna burn out your tubes faster
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
make sure you turn to standby before you turn the amp off, at least for me to turn it on you turn the on/off switch off while the on/standby switch is in standby and let the tubes warm up then you turn that switch to on. To turn off just turn into standby first then off.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Well it is also something that's good to use when you're about to open the amp up, to say change the tubes. What it does is that it discharges the caps basically. Meaning that if you're about to open the amp, switch to standby and then off (you should aways do it like this, but now it's extra important), since it will discharge the caps, not risking your life or amp (or at least decreasing the risk).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well it is also something that's good to use when you're about to open the amp up, to say change the tubes. What it does is that it discharges the caps basically. Meaning that if you're about to open the amp, switch to standby and then off (you should aways do it like this, but now it's extra important), since it will discharge the caps, not risking your life or amp (or at least decreasing the risk).

It takes more than that to discharge the caps. The purpose of standby is to warm the tubes nothing more.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.