Before I give a wall of information, I want to know the best way for me to get good enough to play with a band considering I lack music theory knowledge. Asides from "learning scales" how do I get comfortable enough to jam with a band

I'll try and give as much information as possible on how good I am.

When I was young I taught myself piano using a book, very briefly. Just how to play simple songs, chords and how to read music.
In year 6-7 I played the trumpet and got grade 3 by the end. Then gave up

Years later, after high school I started playing the guitar for fun as a hobby. As I was just playing for fun I didn't bother learning any theory, I just started playing songs I liked, learned the chords, practised more difficult songs that I liked.

So now that I want to play with a band, making music requires more of me. I need to be able to jam/improvise to songs.
I've just been using guitarcardio.com to learn/practise major scales, but knowing how to play a few scales doesn't really give me the ability to improvise.

So... what do I do?
get a bassist or another guitarist, jam with them first without a drummer, get some material down and find a drummer, worked for me
Butcher
i dont think learning how to improvise is possible, u just have to enjoy playing and try to get familiar with the fretboard as much as you can, oh, and play standing up alot if u wana play in a band, i found playing sitting down for like a year and a half hindered me when my buds and me started a band
the best thing to do is find some friends who arent complete assholes. and jam with them. learn about roots and stuff. the more you jam the better you will get. dont hold back.
Quote by GoWithTheFlow
the best thing to do is find some friends who arent complete assholes. and jam with them. learn about roots and stuff. the more you jam the better you will get. dont hold back.

This is very hard...

Find some one who is at ur level...or around it, you don't need to be the best player to have a band
Yeah, make sure your friends are forgiving if you screw up.

When I first started jamming, get the bassist, or the other guitarist to find you a key signature. Then find the root, and play a pentatonic. Try not to go just up and down, vary it, add slides, bends, hammers/pull offs, that type of thing. Also, stay on time
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
I basically want to be able to look down at the fretboard and know which frets I can touch and which I can't, whilst jamming or playing any song I don't know.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I basically want to be able to look down at the fretboard and know which frets I can touch and which I can't, whilst jamming or playing any song I don't know.

I guess theory is the only way then. Its not as bad as it seems. I only know the pentatonics at the moment and i can improvise over most things now. Not that im any good yet, but i'm getting better. Theres only 5 positions you have to learn and then you can play all keys by just moving them up and down the fretboard.

If not, you can try just learning by ear, by just playing over as many songs as you can and working out what sounds good. This would probably take alot longer and will be harder if you don't have a good ear, but i've heard it can give you a more unique soloing style, and can help your phrasing as you really have to think and listen to the backing music.

I'd go for theory
Are You Shpongled..?
First off is having confidence in yourself, then you learn the damn song, then you kick anyone in the face who thinks the solo isn't good enough, then you start again until the notes are engraved in your soul, then you wail the blues from the scar's pain.

Get more inspirationnal than that and I'd give you, hum, a used pick, happy eh.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
get licks from your favorite songs/solos and throw them in there, maybe changing a note here and there to fit in the scale you wanna play it it

and remember, don't be scared to go inside and out of scales (as long as most of the notes are in the scale) it took me a while to learn that a few out of scale notes can spice up a solo
being physically comfortable and competent to play music with others just requires constant practice.

being able to look down the fretboard and know what to play will require you to learn theory. i saw a good quote on here once... learning music theory is like knowing how to have sex. You can just feel your way around, and go by trial and error, but everyone has more fun when you know what you're doing.
Music composition is an extremely complicated subject, and it just get's harder when you have to do it off the top of your head. Having said that, countless people have done it before you in a huge array of genres, so if you put the work in, you'll be fine.

Harmony is the study of how sounds relate to each other, and would probably be the most important part of music. Learn the major scale, in all keys. Learn how to form chords using the major scale. Once you have this down, stop. Don't jump ahead, that's probably the biggest problem with my students. Just use this knowledge to jam over some chord progressions in the major scale. Spend at least fifty hours soloing over major chord progressions. I would prefer they do a hundred, but they would get bored.

Once you can do this, you'll be set to start learning to jam with other musicians, and you'll be off.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
well if you wanna be a master of the fretboard music theory is the only way. to master the fretboard and be able to play all over the fretboard and know what your doing and your going to have to get really good. To jam like that you would have to be able to tell the key of a backing track and at least be able to bust out some scale runs to it but theres alot more to it than that.
Best way to learn how to play with a band is to play with a band.
If you can find one or two guys that are already quite advanced, and find it cool to help a newbie out, you don't have to learn anything BEFORE you get in a band. Those guys can really rocketlaunch your skill. That and playing with gifted musicians pulls out the best within yourself giving you the chance for optimized training.

But this is kind of a drastic result. SO just learn theory (www.musictheory.net) And get in a band already. This way you'll learr new stuff and you can ask your band if they know anything about it, and you can try to implement it in your playing. This way you'll get great insight in stuff.

Good luck!
Quote by pandora_grunt
But this is kind of a drastic result. SO just learn theory (www.musictheory.net) And get in a band already. This way you'll learr new stuff and you can ask your band if they know anything about it, and you can try to implement it in your playing. This way you'll get great insight in stuff.

Good luck!

Thanks for the website.

Anyone else got any specific exercises, or websites to start off with?
1) Play with your ears. Learn what key the other musicians are playing in. You can do this by playing your guitar while listening to songs. I do it for about 20 minutes a day and it works wonders for my playing.

2) Learn the basic scales. It sounds cliche, yes, but the scales help. Major, natural minor, minor pentatonic to start you out. There are tons of others that are great, but those give you a solid base.

3) Learn where the notes are on the fretboard. Once you know where the root is, you can play the scales you've learned over it, thus improvising.

4) Play to a metronome. You want your playing to have that nice "even" sound (in most cases), so play with a metronome. I recommend buying tempo perfect.

So exercises =
Playing along with songs (eventually try it with songs you've never heard before)
Learn those scales (ascending and descending, up and down, and on single strings)
Know your fretboard.
Play to a metronome.

Hope that helps!
Quote by Axe720
Playing along with songs (eventually try it with songs you've never heard before)

Play to a metronome.

^ these work absolute wonders. Listen to this man!