How do I prevent shallow scratches/wear on the guitar around the place that my picking arm goes across? I try not rest it against the body much, and I'm working on changing my picking style so I don't anchor too much... but does this happen to other people? I think it's my arm moving slightly as I pick that gradually wears the finish.

Or is this just a normal thing and inevitable?
I have never heard of that problem. In all 2 years ive been playing guitar, lol. sorry.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Quote by Arch Enemy 65
I have never heard of that problem. In all 2 years ive been playing guitar, lol. sorry.

ok... well i just got a new Epiphone Les Paul.... and i'm worried about the finish on it, because on my old Samick you can really see where it's worn... ok it might be my picking style, but still not sure. thanks.
in my experience it is inevitable. but guitar polish gets rid of it.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
^^^ I was going to get some polish soon, I'll see how it goes, thanks.
guitars are meant to be played, unless you wear studded arm length gloves I don't see how it could significantly scratch the finish. The finish on your sammick probably wasn't anything special either.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
guitars are meant to be played, unless you wear studded arm length gloves I don't see how it could significantly scratch the finish. The finish on your sammick probably wasn't anything special either.

You beat me to it. The wear you get on your guitars gives them character and makes them yours. If you want a pristine guitar, lock it up in a case and hide it away in a closet.
Quote by -Blue-
You beat me to it. The wear you get on your guitars gives them character and makes them yours. If you want a pristine guitar, lock it up in a case and hide it away in a closet.

thats not possible lol. if i had a guitar in a closet i would get pretty mad at my self
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Yeah man, guitars get scratches, and they get dings and beauty marks, and thats what makes them a guitar, it's the lovin' that makes them banged up.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Thanks everyone. I know scratches are inevitable, it was just in this certain place I was worried about, but yeah, I'll get over it.
You're seeing the spots because Gibson style finish show them off well, under some conditions. The spot where you rest your arm will pick up small scratches, especially if your clothes reach that far. Nothing you can really do about it.

Wipe the guitar and strings down everytime you play it. You can get cleaning clothes at any good guitar store. It'll make the finish last longer. See http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/Cleaning/cleaning01.html
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul, I've had it for 2 years, and I really beat on it when I play and the finish is still as good as new. I personally like the look of a worn guitar, I wish mine would get some wear on it, but thats just me. Polish is a good idea, along with changing how you pick from maybe a harder more aggressive picking to a more relaxed picking. The finish on Epi's is a lot tougher and stronger than those on a Samick .
Quote by RozzLe
haha yea its pretty hard to scratch finish with just your arm

This is over a matter of time though, it takes a while.

But thanks everyone, it seems that not everyone has this problem, but yeah I'll try some proper polish... and hey, if not, it does add characteristic to it!
It gives character to your guitar. In about 20 years when its all worn it'll look like some vintage instrument.

You'll be like, yeah i got this dent in an old pub in Ranger st in 2010 when a guy through a beer bottle at me

And these scratches from when it fell of the roof when we were driving to Tokyo.
etc etc.

I like guitars like that
^^^ It's hard to imagine what it'd look like in the future, but it'd be pretty sweet.

Once I'm over the "it's new and shiny!" factor it'll be right.
Quote by StratPat
The finish on your Les Paul won't wear easily

Cool, that's good to know.