I don't know where else on the site to put this so here it is. If it goes somewhere else please tell me.

There is a 1939 Gibson mandolin in my local paper here for about 5 months and no one has bought it. The guy is selling for about 650$ and I am not sure if this is a good deal yet or not but I was wondering if it was in very good to mint condition with all original pieces what this would be worth? The guy will probably bargain for the price so I was wondering should I consider buying this and then reselling it for a higher price?
Originally posted by Beatallica_fan
next weeks installment, John tells us of the time he played in a band with Elvis's drummers, second cousins mother on harmonica and they invented grunge.
Well if you're going to buy something like it's something you might want to hold onto,
$650 seems really overpriced for something that old, but that's coming from my field in brass instruments, the instrument does not get any better with age.

If you can knock the price down I'd say go for it.
Quote by archangels666
Find me someone who doesn't do that and I'll show you a man humping a hippopotamus.

Quote by Vigilantius
High chairs are for little girls. My kids eat gravel off of bare concrete.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=102409283

if it's anything like that, then it's worth a bit more than $650, but it's not worth a fortune.

i dont know anything about mandolins. my instant reaction was to tell you to buy it, because a gibson guitar from the 50's is worth more than $100 000 today.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Seems like it would be worth alot more than that if you could find the right person, like a gibson collector or something.

But what do I know.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Quote by Angus77
Well if you're going to buy something like it's something you might want to hold onto,
$650 seems really overpriced for something that old, but that's coming from my field in brass instruments, the instrument does not get any better with age.

Wood doesn't act the same way as brass.

It's a (pre)WWII Gibson instrument.

I don't think it's worth less than $650.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Angus77
but that's coming from my field in brass instruments, the instrument does not get any better with age.

Guitars do.
Heres a good tip:

Go to the guy, play it and get a feel for it. If you like it, buy the damn thing! Mandolin is really fun to play, if you have the interest in learning. I have a pre-WWII mandolin that my great grandmother played in the Boston Phil-Harmonic back in the day. Its good to spice things up in a bit, and when guitar gets a little boring, I play mandolin.
well i cant play mandolin and i definately cant play this one because im a left and its a righty.
Originally posted by Beatallica_fan
next weeks installment, John tells us of the time he played in a band with Elvis's drummers, second cousins mother on harmonica and they invented grunge.
You would still be able to play it. Mandolins are tuned EBGD, so if you flip it over, it will be like you just have the top 4 strings.

You can be like the Jimi Hendrix of Mandolin
Quote by LordBishek
Well then why the hell are you buying it?

to make a profit - he said that.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
You need to buy this.
Pre-War Gibson mandolins are sought after instruments and this thing is worth MUCH more than what you are buying it for.
If it is in good shape it is worth a very pretty penny.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Ghost of Sparta
You would still be able to play it. Mandolins are tuned EBGD, so if you flip it over, it will be like you just have the top 4 strings.

You can be like the Jimi Hendrix of Mandolin

you mean theyre tuned high to low EADG?
the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Quote by GibsonRocker14
you can use guitar strings to skin carrots....

wait.... wuttt???