I can safely assume most if not all of you in this section of the forum play guitar, and this question goes out to you.

What makes a Made in Mexico Fender Strat so bad? I've heard good things about quality control but who am I to say? I have one, and I like it, it's no custom shop but I bought it used so the bang for the buck is good.
Quote by Wirsteve
I can safely assume most if not all of you in this section of the forum play guitar, and this question goes out to you.

What makes a Made in Mexico Fender Strat so bad? I've heard good things about quality control but who am I to say? I have one, and I like it, it's no custom shop but I bought it used so the bang for the buck is good.

well, there is the "quality" aspect of it. The materials are essentially the same, though I prefer the mexi standards over the american standards, becuase they're more accurate to vintage spec. But, honestly? It's who makes them and how much they get paid... and the electronics... and hardware... and amount of work that goes into them.... so, pretty much: quality.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
yeah they are good guitars
but i like the american ones because they hold thier value.
i owned 3 of em
well
2 strats and 1 tele
they sound a little diffrent but over all its the same thing almost lmao
Nothing makes them bad, because they're not bad; they're pretty damn good actually. The only bad thing about them is the pickups, which can be replaced later (the quality of the body and neck being fully deserving of an upgrade). And yes, the vintage spec is very nice; you have to fork out quite a bit extra to get an MIA with the same specs.
I don't think anything makes them "bad" at all.
Lots of things make them "not as a good" as the American Strats, but it's not hugely noticeable.
Build quality and just the general quality of parts would be the main differences, I think.
If you got a Mexi and put some better pickups in it, the sound quality wouldn't be overly different.
Kinda like with the Epiphone Les Paul's and the Gibson ones. While there IS a difference, it's debatable as to whether it's worth the extra money.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by anotherbluesguy
Nothing makes them bad, because they're not bad; they're pretty damn good actually. The only bad thing about them is the pickups, which can be replaced later (the quality of the body and neck being fully deserving of an upgrade). And yes, the vintage spec is very nice; you have to fork out quite a bit extra to get an MIA with the same specs.

I totally agree. Mexican Strats are awesome especially the higher end ones (Classic Players, Deluxe Players etc.).
also the resale value is bad with mexicans...american made fenders will be worth alot more as years go by
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
Me personally, I wouldnt touch the thing.

Nothing made in Mexico could be reliable, not to mention quality.

^
I know it sounds racist, but its the truth.
^Your an idiot. Have you ever bothered playing one?

Anyway, TS, I just pick the strat I like the most. My current 2002 MIM Standard was the only one with pickups I liked, a maple fretboard that I like and a slick neck that I like at a price I can/could afford, so it's what I got. Location of creation makes no effing difference for me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by neptune1988

^

Well, you're just dumb.
Quote by Led Zeppelin 67
also the resale value is bad with mexicans...american made fenders will be worth alot more as years go by

nah. american strats are for sale on CL all the time hundreds less than original cost.

if you buy a mexican strat, the most you can lose is $200.

Quote by neptune1988

^

nah, doesnt sound racist.

does sound stupid tho.

you touch products all day long, made outside the US.
at least these guitars profit an american company.

if you open up a MIA and a MIM you'ree see differences.

but strats are so easy to mod, there's nothing you cant swap around in there.

so get what you like.

my MIM was made in 1995. it's still my favorite.

and to get a small idea of how many guitars i own, feel free to check out some of my gear pics
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 21, 2009,
I'm sorry about my post earlier. I shouldnt be so prejudice about it. After all, more than half of the stuff in America is made overseas in Taiwan, China, Korea, Indonesia, etc. And all that stuff works fine and all.

So to anyone that I offended, I am truly, sincerely, sorry.
Quote by neptune1988
I'm sorry about my post earlier. I shouldnt be so prejudice about it. After all, more than half of the stuff in America is made overseas in Taiwan, China, Korea, Indonesia, etc. And all that stuff works fine and all.

So to anyone that I offended, I am truly, sincerely, sorry.

I don't think you need to apologize. I hate opening packages and finding the stuff is made in some third world country.
They are ok for what they cost. The standard has ceramic pickups and I never liked the pale neck. I couple of years ago I was looking at the MIM standards. Most that I tried had sharp frets and I did not care for the pale neck. In the end I bought a MIK Tokai Strat the finish was perfect no sharp frets still had ceramic pickups but I changed them later.
About a year ago I was trying out some gear and I grabbed a strat off the wall. It was seafoam green. I did not look to see where it was made I just played it. It played great finish was nice no sharp frets sounded good. Then I looked at the price under just under 600e. It turned to be a MIM 50s Classic Strat. Since then I wanted one. About a couple of months ago I decided to sell off some of my gear and the MIK Tokai and put the money towards one of those MIM 50s Classic Strats. While I was looking for a new Strat I tried out the 60s Classic Player Strat and bought it. I made sure that I also tried several USA Strats from the highway 1 to the USA deluxe models. I would not say that the Classic 60s player is as good as the USA Deluxe but it seems nicer to play than the HW1 and compares well with the USA standards some were nicer some were not.
^Exactly. Their not going to be as good as a US-Fender, but the differences are small enough that, unless your on a pro level, IMO, it's not worth $550 more. Occasionally a good MIM can even beat out some MIA's.

Quote by yellojeeper
I don't think you need to apologize. I hate opening packages and finding the stuff is made in some third world country.

Wait, you think Mexico is a third-world country? Oo

Also, how is China? They have nukes I believe. That seems to be all it takes to get a ticket to the UN nowadays.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by myearshurt
"Mexican Fenders are made in Mexico by Mexicans, American Fenders are made in America by Mexicans"

You have a point there

Anyways, never played one
Quote by myearshurt
"Mexican Fenders are made in Mexico by Mexicans, American Fenders are made in America by Mexicans"

Oiy, the pure ignorance of Americans these days. For starters (even though its irrelevant), if you watch the Fender American factory tour, I can't recall seeing any mexicans working on them.....but that is beside the point, even if the whole factory was mexican, its called American "Standard", as is different standards than the other guitar. Who gives a rats a$$ who makes it.
They're good quality guitars, you should try before you buy of course, a pick up change could help your sound as well
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
ok, I say we drop the, "mexicans make them," because a) how do you know the ethnicity of everyone in those pictures of the factory tour and b) who cares what ethnicity the people making them are?

This is how it generally breaks down, alright. I'm talking about Standard models, none of the deluxes:
the qualiy of the wood used on the MIA fenders is generally higher than that of the Mexican ones. The MIM's usually have impurities in the wood, the bodies are often 2-5 pieces, they're generally made of poplar and there are more knots and unruly looking grans in the wood. American Fenders are made of Ash and Alder and have much better looking wood and the bodies are generally 1-3 pieces, IIRC.
Pickup wise, the MIM's do have ceramic magnets, which are pretty crummy, and poorly done electronics, but that's a quick fix for most people. The Americans have alnico pickups, which, while they sound better than the ceramic ones, still aren't that fantastic, I'd still swap 'em for Duncans.
The finish on the American Fenders is a nitro finish, while the MIMs have a poly finish. People'll tell you that nitro is a better finish, cause it lets the guitar breathe, but, that just isn't true.
The hardware on the American fenders is in fact higher quality, but, I'm not too keen on that particular hardware. I'd rather have the lower end vintage spec, than the higher end stuff, myself. Plus, the Americans have 22 frets, while the MIMs have 21 frets, more vintage accurate. The American Fenders do have beefier trem blocks and more stable tuners, but, like I said, I'd rather have a vintage style bridge and tuners than the two-point bridge with locking tuners. Besides, you can just upgrade those parts for cheap.
Quality wise, the American Fenders should be much better than the MIM's, as they are hand made by skilled craftsmen in the US, while the Mexicans are made by skilled craftsmen in Mexico that get paid less, but... honestly, I'm hard pressed to find the difference.

There are differences, a lot of them. But, you'll be hard pressed to make a big deal out of those differences.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Oiy, the pure ignorance of Americans these days.

i'd say **** off, but i can't be bothered.

what's up with all the closed minded posts in this thread.

some fender workers are mexican, some aren't.

^ wood grades arent near as different as you think. and MIM are most often alder.

even alder squiers look nice taken down to natural.

and everyone swap pickups anyway.

biggest difference is usually neck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 22, 2009,
They are good quality guitars, sure not as high-quality as the American Standards, but great guitars none the less. I have one of the newer models and it's great.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
If you don't want to pay MIA prices, don't like MIM quality, buy MIJ, good price, fantastic quality.
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
Quote by myearshurt

lol aint that the truth
Quote by myearshurt

LOL. +1

I've never played a Mexican Strat, though.
I've owned several cheap and expensive guitars, but after years of playing I finally realize that the most important thing is to "feel" the guitar, whatever brand or model it is. Someone said, "guitars are for playing, not for displaying". That's true. I hate any kind of luxury that is not directly improving playability or performance. Let's go back to the 60's, 70's... did Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Strummer, Gilmour and such great guys stand right there with expensive, vintage, relic instruments? No. A guitar was the tool to achieve something important: art.
When I play I don't want to think about dropping or damaging my 2000€ instrument. When I play I only want to feel my guitar making music and have a good time.
My first Fender was a '06 Highway One upgrade strat and the best thing of it, being stripped-down, is how it feels. Standard Americans are great of course, but I won't pay an extra 500€ just to have a better look or a nice wood.
So I just needed another guitar for practice and finally got a MIM Standard strat (upgraded '09 it says). Hmm, it is very well done, the neck is so soft and fast, the whole thing is solid and will last for a lifetime. Worser pickups than in higher series? might be. But how it sounds also depends on your amp and, more important, your TALENT.
MIM Fenders are great for the price you pay, cheaper for the quality they deliver. Unless you are a rock star and your company buys you guitars, you don't need too much to enjoy music.
^ yeah, i agree with a lot you're saying.

but to add, if i was a "poor" student and didnt have the cash, then i would love to get a $400 MIM strat. or even a $300 used mexican strat.

now that i have some money to spend on my hobby, it's nice having guitars that also look a certain way, or have extras that i enjoy. switches, pups, tuners, certain woods.

my mim strat is still one of my favorites, but there's nothing wrong with getting a more expensive guitar.

there are a lot of nice and reasonable guitars between the intermediate strat and the $2000 luxury intrument.

i mean, guitar players get off easy.
drums and brass instruments are so expensive in comparison. might as well treat yourself every once in a while.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Mexi Strats are just as capable of making great music as a MIA strat. Thats all that matters unless you are a poser or some stupid collector.

I own a HSS Mexi Strat and everytime I think I want to get rid of it for an American, I just cant find the justification. The only gripe with my Strat is the poor fret dressing. But I found a guy that will bevel and smooth them for $25. I swap the pickups one day, but that aside its plays like a dream.