I just started guitar playing about a week ago, and I'm starting to wonder a bit about some things.

What's the difference between chords and tabs? From what I can tell, tabs are a lot more accurate than strumming chords and don't take as much time to look up.
Quote by Pyrotechie
I just started guitar playing about a week ago, and I'm starting to wonder a bit about some things.

What's the difference between chords and tabs? From what I can tell, tabs are a lot more accurate than strumming chords and don't take as much time to look up.

Chords just show the different chords used in a song. It can be more useful depending on the song, if you don't know what a chord is, it's several notes played together to form one note. Go look it up.

Tabs are nice and good for a fast read..

But sheet music is ten times more effective and valuable to your library of knowledge as a guitarist. Learn how to read sheet music, learn how to read it very well. It takes practice.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Two different things. Chords are triads, or basically three more notes played together.
A tab is like piano sheet music, but for guitar. It tells you how to play songs, basically.

So two separate things. Some tabs are chord tabs, with the name of the chord to play along as backing.

I'm guessing the tabs you're thinking of are the ones in which each individual note is mapped out.

Chord tabs are useful if you're trying to figure out what key you're in, how to solo over it, and so on.

I hope my ****ty explanation clears it up.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
well every song has chords even if you dont notice it but alot of acoustic songs are usually nothing but chords so for those thats all you need no reason for a tab and a tab contains the melody which is the actual single notes and stuff played over the chords.

and yeah you can use the chords of a song to improve over it.
Last edited by HeavyDT at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by misfitsramones
lol nooob..
you no what you need. guitar pro 5.2 , go buy it. or download the free trial.

Why do I get the feeling your a bit of a "noob" yourself?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
A chord is something that you play on basically any instrument, percussion excluded for obvious reasons. By definition it's 3 or more notes played together. Example - A C major chord (you may only know it as C, but the proper name is C major) has the notes C (which is the root note, which is played on the first fret of the B string), E (which is the 3rd, played on the 2nd fret of the D string) and C again which is the 5th, which is played on the 3rd fret of the A string. This is an octave lower than the root note.

A tab is just a way to display these chords quickly for those who don't read music, which nowadays, unless you're a professional, you play piano or you just had the time to learn most people don't read music, myself included. I've been playing guitar for 9 years

An example of a tab (and a song you definitely either know, or will know soon) is this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/deep_purple/smoke_on_the_water_intro_tab.htm
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

He's thinking about the tabs posted as "chords" instead of just tabs.

There's some very good explanations of what a chord is, and the point of a "chords" post is to show the chords used, usually along with the rhythm to help understand the progression in the song.

They can be more useful than tabs depending on the song. But once again, sheet music will give you rhythm which no other kind of notation can give you. Send me a PM if you have any questions. I'll gladly help you out with whatever questions you may have.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Quote by idahoimmortal
He's thinking about the tabs posted as "chords" instead of just tabs.

There's some very good explanations of what a chord is, and the point of a "chords" post is to show the chords used, usually along with the rhythm to help understand the progression in the song.

They can be more useful than tabs depending on the song. But once again, sheet music will give you rhythm which no other kind of notation can give you. Send me a PM if you have any questions. I'll gladly help you out with whatever questions you may have.

Thanks, everyone, I'll have to look up some stuff on sheet music. Sorry for any inconveniences.
A good idea would be to borrow some tab books from a library, they have illustrations of how to read tabs, its really simple. Trying to explain it in words is hard though and actually a chord is any two notes played at the same time

I agree with the rest that its a good idea to learn sheet music, but tabs are a good tool as well
Quote by misfitsramones
lol nooob..
you no what you need. guitar pro 5.2 , go buy it. or download the free trial.

Your point being exactly? you were in the same position once so why the hell do you need to flame a biginner who coulndt have known this stuff without asking?
Quote by AmIEvil?
and actually a chord is any two notes played at the same time
I always thought a chord was 3 or more notes, and 2 notes played together was a double stop....?

And to the guy who said chords can be played on any instrument - I'd like to see you do it on brass or woodwind double stopping is the best I can do on my trombone, and I'm pretty sure there's no way to play more than 2 notes at a time on it lol

@TS - there's some pretty good lessons on this site for reading tabs and learning chords
Last edited by zhilla at Jan 22, 2009,
If I want to play a song exactly the same as the original I'll look up the TAB. If I want to make my own arrangement I'll look up the chords.
Quote by zhilla
I always thought a chord was 3 or more notes, and 2 notes played together was a double stop....?

And to the guy who said chords can be played on any instrument - I'd like to see you do it on brass or woodwind double stopping is the best I can do on my trombone, and I'm pretty sure there's no way to play more than 2 notes at a time on it lol

@TS - there's some pretty good lessons on this site for reading tabs and learning chords

I said basically any instrument I've never played a brass or woodwind instrument so I have no idea about notes, chords, etc on them. To me they're just piece of metal you blow down and a sound comes out.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by zhilla

My friend does it great using 3 woodwinds at a time. he can actually finger all 3, amazing.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by zhilla

yeah, 2 notes at the same time is a double stop, but if im not completely mistaken a double stop is cosidered a technique (ofcourse depending on the instrument its played on) which forms a chord.
the best example of a 2 note chord is a powerchord actually
the best example of a 2 note chord is a powerchord actually

A powerchord isn't a chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^^^

2 notes is an interval not chord.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
but then again a power chord is a 5 chord right? Which should make it a chord imo maybe i'm incorrect i dont know
Quote by AmIEvil?
but then again a power chord is a 5 chord right? Which should make it a chord imo maybe i'm incorrect i dont know
It isn't really a chord; it's just two notes and a chord requires three notes. However, amongst guitarists, it is called a powerchord because it sounds very powerful and similar to a full chord when played with distortion. It is generally accepted that D5 E5 G5 C#5 are all powerchords.
Quote by Pyrotechie

the chords are highly used for acoustic players that wanna get the exact chord shapes for the rythym. Tabs will (most of the times) tell you both the lead and rythym with the exact fret numbers to use and the strumming pattern