When I'm travis picking, I can only really cover 4 strings but there are tons of chords that utilize more than that, so i usually just pick 4 strings that sound most like the chord and travis picking them, but I was wondering how I can expand this technique to use on open chords like G and on bar chords. Thanks for any help!
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.

Member #12 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
ive never heard of travis picking before....
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Thanks but I'm looking for people who have...
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.

It's where you pick a bass pattern with the thumb and put little licks and patterns over the top with your fingers. It's named after Merle Travis (see for instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8vOTKMqzw4), but it's also pretty much the same thing as Piedmont Fingerstyle.

I'm surprised at how little people today know about fingerstyle.

Anyway, TC: what are you playing on four strings, and what can't you do that you'd want to on five or six strings?

Edit: UG screwed up the link; it puts the /url after the brackets >_<
Last edited by anotherbluesguy at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by anotherbluesguy
It's where you pick a bass pattern with the thumb and put little licks and patterns over the top with your fingers. It's named after Merle Travis (see for instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8vOTKMqzw4), but it's also pretty much the same thing as Piedmont Fingerstyle.

I'm surprised at how little people today know about fingerstyle.

Anyway, TC: what are you playing on four strings, and what can't you do that you'd want to on five or six strings?

you screwed up the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8vOTKMqzw4
Quote by anotherbluesguy

well I want to travis pick 5 and 6-string chords, but as it is now, my thumb handles two bass notes, and my index and ring handle the two strings right above the bass notes. What picking pattern would I use to travis pick something where I had two bass notes and then three or four other strings to pick on? would I have to use my ring and pinky as well?
Quote by sashki

^ my statement would be pretty simple, either use more fingers or pick faster. i think travis picking really just implies using your thumb for the E and A strings, picking root chordal movements and using your other fingers for accompaniment than really anything else. its not like if you suddenly use 3 or 4 fingers you're not travis picking and to top it off i wouldn't really worry about being technical with the name as long as its accomplishing the sound and style you want.

subsequently i think the only thing really inherent to travis picking is the pattern used for the root movement, i've heard different things from different people on this though.
The thumb can cover three strings, and yes you can use your ring finger. Over a G chord for instance your thumb can pick:

e|---------
B|---------
G|---------
D|---0---0-
A|---------
E|-3---3---

...or:

e|---------
B|---------
G|---------
D|---0---0-
A|-----2---