Can anyone please help me make sense of the different kinds of tremolos that are out there? I'm looking to get a new guitar and one of the things that it must have is a tremolo. my options so far are: Ibanez Rgr420ex, Schecter Synyster Gates standard, Schecter C-1 FR SheDevil or a Schecter C-1 FR. I would like to know the pros and cons of each type of trem' system and maybe advice on those guitars?
Thanks.

(If this is in the wrong place please let me know)
Well, all the schecter you listed use a Licensed Floyd rose, which means its gonna have some springs in the back and provide the tension, kind of in rows. With the Edge 3 on the Ibanez I think it balances at 1 point or something in the back, still with springs, but to one point or osmething. I really have no idea though.
i dont know too much about anything with the tremelo systems on these guitars except the C1-FR. I own it. the tremelo system is a licensed floyd rose tremelo. its pretty good. it sucks when you have to change tunings with it because you have to deal with the springs and everything and that takes a while to do. the only complaint that i have happened about 5 minutes ago (literally). i was playing around and everytime i did a reverse dive (or whatever the technical term for it is) the high E string seemed to go extremely flat. i had to undue all the locking nuts and everything because it went so far out of tune that the fine tuners alone could not put it back in tune. thats the only problem that ive had with it so far. im guessing i didnt have the nuts tight enough (im hoping i didnt because that would mean that i have a bigger problem on my hands if i did tighten them all the way and it still went out of tune). so I guess my conclusion is that its nice but you have to take good care of it.

good luck with your decision
I'm pretty sure that the C-1 and the C-1 SheDevil are the same except maybe for pickups and the inlays
You should go for an Ibanez S series. It'll have a more stable and reliable trem than those.

All the schecters you listed have LFRs. Im not sure how schecter's LFRs hold up but i wouldn't expect much.

The RG has an edge 3 which is made of cheaper metal and wears out faster, making it less stable sooner, which causes it to go out of tune and such.
Keep in mind that most manufacturers that advertise their guitars as having an OFR and people right away assume its made in Germany by Schaller which is not always the case. There is an OEM OFR thats a Schaller product but made in Asia, Korea to be exact and is being installed on most guitars such as the Charvel $1000 production models and even the $3000 EVH Wolfgangs have them. Yea pretty messed up that a $3000 guitar that Ed claims is like a F1 race car has an Asian made OFR and not a German one. The easiest way to spot these is by their saddles, if you buy them separately they are known as the Floyd Rose Special. Still a good trem I hear but of course if you're picky its not a German made Schaller OFR.

Anyways here's a real German OFR from the 80's that I picked up and cleaned. Notice the straight edge at the end of the saddle.

...and here's a picture directly off Musicians Friend of the OFR from the EVH Wolfgang. Notice the beveled edge at the end on the saddles, thats how you know its the Asian made variety.

2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^ also +1 about not all OFRs being schaller-made any more, the companies have realised that with the internet, people are more wary of the licensed variety, so have done the obvious (and evil) thing, cut costs with the "real" thing to try to fool more people .

i didn't know that about the bevelled edge on the saddles, thanks for that!

Quote by Pac_man0123
You should go for an Ibanez S series. It'll have a more stable and reliable trem than those.

All the schecters you listed have LFRs. Im not sure how schecter's LFRs hold up but i wouldn't expect much.

The RG has an edge 3 which is made of cheaper metal and wears out faster, making it less stable sooner, which causes it to go out of tune and such.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, yea and not only that the real German made OFR's are not as good quality wise as they were back in the 80's either and I've heard that from several people.

Its still complete BS that the Fender EVH Wolfgang has an Asian made Floyd, for a $3000 price tag thats low, very low from them.
^ yeah, that sucks indeed. i've heard that about the german-made floyds too, i know suhr switched to gotohs because of poor quality in even the schaller-made ones...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow nice bit on those sadlles! where did you get that info? ive never heard that before! and are those the PING made OFRs? if they are they are still good quality.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
The beveled end is at the back end of the saddle, right?

And I am very disappointed in Fender, if I'm paying three grand for a guitar, I expect Der German Floyd!
^ yeah, i think so. you can see it best on the high e string saddle, at the back, instead of going straight down at a 90 degree angle, it goes down at about 45 degree for a millimetre or two, then goes down the other 45 degrees to the baseplate.

agreed about der german floyd...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm kinda confused here.. What are the differences and pros/cons between a Floyd Rose and a Floating bridge?
what do you mean, exactly? a floyd is a type of trem which locks the strings at both the nut and at the bridge- depending on how the guitar is routed, it can be set up to float or not.

floating means that the pitch can be both lowered and raised... this can be achieved on floyds, but also on wilkinsons, strat-style trems, etc., again depending on how they've been set up...

A recessed (a chunk taken out of the guitar to facilitate bigger pull-up range) floyd will have the most up-pull/pitch-raising ability, though- can be several semitones.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its not a PING Floyd, its a Schaller brand OFR but made in Asia. If you buy it separately its branded as a Floyd Rose Special. It won't have "licensed under" written on it because its not an LFR but a cheaper version of the official OFR thats made in Asia and used a lot by guitar companies to put on their guitars and they label it as an OFR in their specs. Which it essentially is, I guess they don't lie they just don't disclose all the information
yeah, it's a gip. i call a spade a spade.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just checked, and that Asian one is definitely what I have on my Soloist. It's held up fine over the last 2 years of heavy abuse, but I did notice that the screws in the back were made of crap metal and now I can't adjust them much anymore because a screwdriver stripped the slots. An easy fix, but I don't need multiple tunings so I haven't bothered.
Well I'm not saying the Asian ones are bad, I'm sure they are decent trems and for the most part could be as good as the German made OFR's but my only issue is guitar companies putting them on $2000+ guitars which is complete bs since you can buy one for $85 or so. Cutting corners and in a bad way. More people should be aware of this and stick it to the manufacturers. This is another reason why I am currently putting together my own guitar and like the vintage ones even more.
yeah, exactly, you shouldn't be cost-cutting on $2000+ guitars, and, what's even worse, not coming clean about it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DSOTM80
Well I'm not saying the Asian ones are bad, I'm sure they are decent trems and for the most part could be as good as the German made OFR's but my only issue is guitar companies putting them on $2000+ guitars which is complete bs since you can buy one for $85 or so. Cutting corners and in a bad way. More people should be aware of this and stick it to the manufacturers. This is another reason why I am currently putting together my own guitar and like the vintage ones even more.

I wasn't interpreting as such. I merely noticed that I have an Asian one, and observed that while the trem itself is fine, the retaining screws are not.
Quote by Danno13
I wasn't interpreting as such. I merely noticed that I have an Asian one, and observed that while the trem itself is fine, the retaining screws are not.

Yea no its cool, I wasn't really referring to your case just in general.