I feel like this is a really stupid question but how exactly do you headbang? I've been headbanging, and the whole neck spinny thing too, but it kills the neck, so Basically is your neck a sacrificial lamb or can I rock the fck out without killing myself.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
I can't say I'm an expert but my dad used to try and teach me.

As far as I know, you just sort of... move your head back and forth. Long hair helps maximise the visual effect with minimal movement. Which is what you want really, having your brain bounce around inside your skull can't be good for you.
It helps to move more with your back than your neck. hold your guitar perpendicular to your body [even tilt the neck up slightly if needed]. Hold it close to your body while playing and head bang, slowly begin to pivot back n forth with your back more and more until your back n neck are moving in motion. It should eliminate most of the pain. Also, it helps keep you in rhythm somewhat, and it looks cooler.
Haha, does satch even headbang? Hrm, well Yeah I'm growing my hair out so thats getting better, but I'll throw my back into it the next time I try. Cause I noticed the other day when I was playing rockband at my friends house, I was headbanging up a storm and I didn't really hurt my neck, Musta been using my back without realizing it.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Try imitating your favorite guitarists, for me it is Dave Grohl, Slash, Joe Perry and Steve Clark.

Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by milkmanv1
I feel like this is a really stupid question but how exactly do you headbang? I've been headbanging, and the whole neck spinny thing too, but it kills the neck, so Basically is your neck a sacrificial lamb or can I rock the fck out without killing myself.

Just turn on some music like Lamb of God or something, turn up the volume and you'll be a professional in no time.
Quote by onetenpercent
Amon Amarth is one to watch.

+1 for synchronized hair twirling
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
Yeah I can see the next Rockhouse DVD title now: "Headbangin: Making your long hair look masculine and less like a girl"

That Underoath clip made me realise that some people are just in the music industry to jump around like idiots and look cool... As a band, I think they did a pretty poor job of keeping things tight, but hey, i'm glad they're into the music they're making. Now I realise why alot of kids into that 'scene' play better air guitar than real guitar..

And I would not try that guitar trick with most guitars...it only works with an SG cos they're light and thin as hell. Try it with a big heavy Schecter or LP and who knows, u might even be able to find most of your teeth afterwards!
I don't headbang as I find it stupid and painful.

I do however rock out in the forms of teeth playing, behind-the-head playing, jumping, slamming the guitar into stuff, doing ridiculous shiz, and occasionally switching to a cheap starter guitar during a keyboard interlude which I proceed to smash.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
It's a technique that takes tireless hours of practice, sweat and tears to perfect.
Hahah
Pretty much, minimal movement to maximum effect. Move mostly with your back, not your neck, to reduce muscle problems, and start of only doing it a few minutes at a time to build stamina.
Follow my few simple steps, an soon you'll be headbanging like a pro
after watching the scen from waynes world where theyre just sitting in the club head banging
ive worked it out where
i go from like an angle downwards then whip it back around.
1.lean head back slightly
2.go downwards at an angle
3.whip around to the back at the side
(helps if your hair is longer)
looks like a spinning torrent of ......i dunno but yeah
just watch videos of people and junk
also this is just what i do not some actual technique
lawol
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
imho the whole point of headbanging is making pretty patterns with your hair - if you've got short hair it just looks stupid. If you do it right it doesn't hurt.
Quote by zhilla
imho the whole point of headbanging is making pretty patterns with your hair - if you've got short hair it just looks stupid. If you do it right it doesn't hurt.

This. Back when I was in my old band, and still had long hair, the other guitarist and me would headbang much through the entire set, no pain whatsoever...
i can't believe there's actually a thread for this....that's f***ing metal! just go to a few concerts, and you'll be a pro by the 3rd one.
Quote by HorsemanOfDeath
i can't believe there's actually a thread for this....that's f***ing metal! just go to a few concerts, and you'll be a pro by the 3rd one.

Not necessarily. I've seen kids who think they can headbang at local rock gigs, and they haven't got a clue. They just stand there nodding their heads looking like prats, with their hair just dangling over their faces - which at least makes it harder for them to be recognised I guess
If it ain't natural, it ain't right.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
You don't have to headbang to rock out. You can just swing your body to the music.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
well, i haven't seen those posers at the concerts i go to, so i was unaware. if i see any at the concert i see, i'll have to beat them for being posers. i always walk away with my neck being sore until i get to the car, then it's back to normal though, so i thought that'd work.
Thanks for any/all tips, I threw some more back into it, and mixed it up so im not just whipping my head around like a dumbass. Playing guitar is so much fun if you look like a toatal ass while doing it. Now I just need to learn how to not be overly ridiculous.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14