Page 1 of 3
Hello,

First off I am new and I have been playing acoustic guitar for about a month now and can play cliffs of dover (just chorus and not fluently) But I know I want to get an electric guitar . I have no idea about any of this stuff. Another person in my class got a package of the guitar and amp used for like 100 dollars. This is about how much I want to spend. I do not care how good or bad the quality is unless it really is bad. Can someone give me advice as to what to do to get an amp and guiatar? Like I said I need something cheap.
get a cheap ibanez gax or a squier or a cheap RG or anything like that. as long as it makes noise it will do for now.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
100$.. its gonna b worse then really bad...
if u wanna spend real cheap i say a squire strat pack but even thats not great.. probly best price for what it comes with... or the ibanez/epiphone similar package set... but thats not REAL bad, comes with everythin u need to get started and the guitar isnt bad for its price.. but u get what you pay for lets say that.
You might want to go to the Guitar Basics forum for a question like this.

But 100 dollars will get you a very lousy amp and/or guitar. Look used, most likely Ibanez or Squire, like the guy above me said.
Squire Bullets are okay. Thats what I started on. But that's 100 dollars itself, and the lowest you can go...
This is a clever, witty signature. Rofl at my glory.
The beginner packages are what most parents buy a kid, when they're not sure if the kid's serious about playing. Why spend $500 on a guitar for a 10-year old, if he's going to decide he hates it and never plays again? A lot of these $100 packages are pretty bad. The guitar is bad. The amp is bad. This alone makes most people not want to play. For me, the least I'll spend on a new guitar is $500. Anything less and the quality just isn't there. I can recommend Ibanez, though. My daughter was wanting to learn and I didn't want to spend a whole lot. We went to Guitar Center and found her a decent Ibanez electric for $199. The quality is actually pretty good and it looks a lot like an SG. Spend another $150, or so, and get you a Roland MicroCube amp. They're small amps, but they have decent sound. I know that's a little more than you want to spend, but if you're serious about learning, you need to be serious about your instrument. Don't buy something that will stunt your ability to learn and progress. If you do, you might as well not buy anything at all.
I wouldn't even consider buying new for that price - I'd go second hand, find a halfway decent guitar thats in good working condition but a bit battered cosmetically to bring the price down, and get a cheapie 2nd hand practice amp to start off if my budget was limited.
Starting guitar is not about geting something cheap to start with. You should get something half decent so you don't just think it is crap and never play again. Buying a useless pile of junk is stupid.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Ok my neighbor has another electric guitar and an amp he might sell me but I have no idea what guitar it is and it is kind of scratched and I haven't even seen the amp. He got a new guitar that is why he is considering selling me that one.
Don't worry about it being scratched - that won't affect the sound. Find out what they are and come tell us
yup - if you can get pictures thats a bonus, but otherwise make and model
Quote by KG6_Steven
The beginner packages are what most parents buy a kid, when they're not sure if the kid's serious about playing. Why spend $500 on a guitar for a 10-year old, if he's going to decide he hates it and never plays again? A lot of these $100 packages are pretty bad. The guitar is bad. The amp is bad. This alone makes most people not want to play. For me, the least I'll spend on a new guitar is $500. Anything less and the quality just isn't there. I can recommend Ibanez, though. My daughter was wanting to learn and I didn't want to spend a whole lot. We went to Guitar Center and found her a decent Ibanez electric for $199. The quality is actually pretty good and it looks a lot like an SG. Spend another $150, or so, and get you a Roland MicroCube amp. They're small amps, but they have decent sound. I know that's a little more than you want to spend, but if you're serious about learning, you need to be serious about your instrument. Don't buy something that will stunt your ability to learn and progress. If you do, you might as well not buy anything at all.

+1, especially the part about buying too cheap actually increasing your chances of quitting.

the yamaha pacifica 112v is another nice guitar for not too much ($200).

+1 on the microcube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok thanks tenfold, I will look into that one. My neighbor decided he will probably just keep that other one for a different tune. How good of sound quality will that package deal make that ten fold just linked me too? is it worth the money?
I don't know anything specific about that particular guitar or amp, but I know ibanez makes some good stuff, and that their starter range stuff isn't half bad. After playing a GRG170DX I considered buying it, but ended up with something else (better anyway). The sound was nice even though it was through a pretty beat up amp. (Marshall MG 10W) I have a feeling that GAX starter will do fine for you though...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Last edited by Quinlan at Jan 22, 2009,
lol if u want cheap sounds quality wont be good, go with the ibanez or squire strat pack cuz in my opinion the cheopo single coils sound better then the cheapo humbuckers... some ppl wont agree with me here but id say get the ibanez cuz although its a real cheapo guitar its decent enough that it wont destroy your fingers(more then normal for a beginner) and it should be a decent guitar for that cheapo price
also, check your local craigslist before you spring for anything new.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Craigslist
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Whst is the best way to spend 200 dollars for a guitar?

-buying a 160 dollar guitar and a freinds used starter amp for 40 dollars
-buying that one starter set with the black guitar
-buying a used guitar and a used amp

please tell me what I should do. Should I either get a nicer amp or nicer guitar? Please direct me to the best way to spend 200 dollars on an amp ang guitar. I would like to choose different tones like tape echo and stuff. thanks
if you could find a line 6 10-15 watt amp anf a ibanez that wouldnt be that bad. the amp will have enought effects to get you started and ibanez is a good company for stater guitars
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Ok so I just found out, 250 for the amp and guitar and cords or whatever elese I would need besides picks. I dont really need a case if that helps put that little extra money into the guitar or amp. I dont need to go loud with my amp but I still do like to be loud. I am still deciding if i should get the package deal or get a 160 dollar guitar and a 90 dollar amp. I really do not know anything about guitars. I just want my guitar to make decent noise quality without spending too much. Please someone direct me to an electric guitar (and maybe amp) that would even out amp quality vs guitar quality money wise that stays under 250 dollars (if you know what I mean)

Thanks so much
I'm at work, so I can't link, but spend the $100, but the Peavey Vypyr 15. Do not question me on this.

Then, get the most expensive guitar seperately that you can afford.

But: BUY THE VYPYR 15.

It's a great amp that will last you. Don't not do this.
A real, good sounding amp will make you want to play guitar much more than a crappy amp, trust me.
Exactly. The Peavey vypyr 15 will be great and then spend the rest on a guitar. If you get both things at the same store then you might be able to get a free cable or something.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Ok thanks random, I just do not know what to look for in a guitar so a link to an electric guitar in that price range would be well appreciated. I would like to play the song stricken and cliffs of dover. This guys setup sounds really nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVIDp6_SgDk&feature=PlayList&p=F692FA40EA1B8E38&playnext=1&index=6 I know that guitar is way out of my price range but it would be nice the better the sound quality and not too hard to play. So can someone link me to an electric guitar (without amp) in that 160-180 price range? I was looking at this guitar but it is 200 dollars. If I sstart saving now I probably could get it if it makes a world of difference. Here is another one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar-519417-i1150594.gc?mode=1 or should I just go used at my local gc? Someone suggest me a guitar please.

edit: here is another one used: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=105051084
Last edited by noob2guitar at Jan 24, 2009,
I will be paying a lot of songs but I want it to make good quality sounds especially for the song stricken and cliffs of dover
EJ uses a fender strat but stricken is completely different, I would say an epiphone les paul special II. Not sure on the price but they are really cheap.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by noob2guitar
Hello,

First off I am new and I have been playing acoustic guitar for about a month now and can play cliffs of dover (just chorus and not fluently) But I know I want to get an electric guitar . I have no idea about any of this stuff. Another person in my class got a package of the guitar and amp used for like 100 dollars. This is about how much I want to spend. I do not care how good or bad the quality is unless it really is bad. Can someone give me advice as to what to do to get an amp and guiatar? Like I said I need something cheap.

That better be the Vera Lynn song because otherwise you're getting in way over your head

Cliffs of Dover is a highly advanced piece, you'll be lucky if you're in a position to learn it after a year, it's not something to attempt as a beginner, it's simply far too difficult. Honestly, it's so far away that it's not worth worrying about...by the time it's within your grasp then you'll probably have another gutiar anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 24, 2009,
Tone comes from your amp. You need a good amp for the guitar to do anything. And yes that is the guitar I was talking about.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
i tend to buy gear with a long term orientation. my point being that whatever you buy now, should still be of some use to you 2, 3, or 4 years down the line. now the general consensus (barring a few high-end exceptions) is that modeling amps lose their worth once a player matures. if you're either already familiar with effects or you're comfortable with trying them out in a music store then I would recommend an epiphone valve jr. head and the cheapest cab you can find. why? because it is a piece of equipment that you'll still have a use for even if you should become some sort of uber-virtuoso. it won't lose its resale value either. it's an excellent introduction to everything having to do with tube amps. it also "represents" the sound of pedals very well, meaning that you'll get an accurate representation of what the pedal itself is producing rather than a version that is "re-processed" by an amplifier.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by staticoverdub
i tend to buy gear with a long term orientation. my point being that whatever you buy now, should still be of some use to you 2, 3, or 4 years down the line. now the general consensus (barring a few high-end exceptions) is that modeling amps lose their worth once a player matures. if you're either already familiar with effects or you're comfortable with trying them out in a music store then I would recommend an epiphone valve jr. head and the cheapest cab you can find. why? because it is a piece of equipment that you'll still have a use for even if you should become some sort of uber-virtuoso. it won't lose its resale value either. it's an excellent introduction to everything having to do with tube amps. it also "represents" the sound of pedals very well, meaning that you'll get an accurate representation of what the pedal itself is producing rather than a version that is "re-processed" by an amplifier.

i disagree (and i've got a valve junior). when you're starting out, you need access to as many different tones as possible so you can decide what type of tones you like, and which you don't like. you need something versatile- and the valve junior, at best, is a one trick pony, and with pedals is WAY over his budget considering he can barely even afford a yamaha pacifica 112v + vypyr/microcube. to that end, i normally recommend a modeller and a guitar with both humbuckers and single coils.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by noob2guitar
should I get this amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944831-i1168996.gc or this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc and yes I mean the one by erick johnson, I cant play the song fast and I do make mistakes on the song.

Oh please don't get a Line 6 Spider III. It's just crap. Do a search here if you're curious, or watch this convenient video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYslxyj4Qwk
Page 1 of 3