Page 1 of 2
I have recently bought a new amp, that I hate, and sold a few things. Right now I have about $500 and I'm going to take that Marshall amp back so I'll have about $900 or so. I was wondering if I could buy any type of Mesa Boogie amp with that, and really is it worth it or is there a better amp in that range? I have played a few Mesas but I'm not too sure which ones they were. I loved their tone though. Thank You.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
yes. It's more than enough. You can get a used single/dual/triple rec for $900 or cheaper. I'm pretty sure you can find a used Mark series amp in that price range. Just not the Mark 4 or 5 obviously
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
You would probably be able to get a MK III, but I don't know about a cab. You could probably get an F or Express series combo too. All of those are used though, you won't be able to get any new Boogie for 900.
Quote by Khoifish321
yes. It's more than enough. You can get a used single/dual/triple rec for $900 or cheaper. I'm pretty sure you can find a used Mark series amp in that price range. Just not the Mark 4 or 5 obviously

+1
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
f30 or even a 50. my 30 was 630ùsd and that`s expensive for one used.
███████████████████████████████████
haha yeah didn't expect to get a Mark IV or V ...I wish
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Khoifish321

I have never seen a dual rec go lower than $900, and I've never seen a triple rec go lower than $1000.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Which would be the best buy for that, I'm not too familiar with Mesas besides the Marks
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
I personally like blackface Single Rectifiers, but I'm sure most people would want a MkII or Tremo-Verb combo instead.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
F-30/F-50/F-100
DC-3/DC-5/DC-10
Studio .22/Studio .22 Plus
Caliber .50/.50 Plus
Mark III
Rect-O-Verb/Trem-O-Verb
etc.

All easily found under $900, in combo form.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by xwearesinking
I have never seen a dual rec go lower than $900, and I've never seen a triple rec go lower than $1000.

Yea, I don't see them too often. It's just a possibility one may happen to pop up for that price. A guy here in Austin offered me his Dual Rec for 750 about 2 months ago and I wish I had gotten it since I could have sold it for more. It was in pretty decent condition too, I'm jut not a fan of the Recto tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Oh yeah guys I'm looking for a combo type. Sorry bout that.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
A used F-30 or F-50 might be the best "cheap" Mesa amp you can find. Of course, if you want a graphic EQ, a DC-5 or Studio 22 would work. 5:50 combos will(trust me from 2 months of searching) go as low as $900 at times if its a 112 combo. 5:25's can run as low as 700-750 used. But yeah, an F series, DC-5, or studio 22 is your best bet. I'd take the
DC-5 myself.

Of course, Studio 22's are, IMO, some of the ugliest looking amps ever made, but they sound beautismical.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Last edited by harrisonmon at Jan 22, 2009,
There's a guy selling a triple rec for $800 right now good deal? I think its the head
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Zappanator
There's a guy selling a triple rec for $800 right now good deal? I think its the head

If you have enough money to buy a good cabinet, yes. But it may(and probably is) overkill...but if you can let it roar, then I say go for it. I warn you though, that will be LOUD. I mean loud as in you'll be able to feel the noise on your pubic hair loud.

If you only have 900$, then I'd still go with a combo as aforementioned...if you can increase your budget/save money after you buy it and get a good 2x12 cabinet, though, then you're golden.
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
I play a wide variety, Metal, Classic Rock, Blues, Proggy stuff, and stuff I need decent cleans for. That's what I asked at the first of my post. I was wondering if there was a better buy in my range. I was going for Mesa because I've heard they're really versatile.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Oh yeah I thought there might be somethin up with that head too, I'm gonna stay away he seems suspicious
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
A lot of people may talk trash but the Bugera 333XL blows away the Mesa in my opinion. Tone is very objective but I hate the Rectifier sound. And you're not going to afford a Mark series amp with that money.
I wasn't counting on a Mark to be honest. I know about those, pricey.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
here's something
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/967771865.html
not sure which major city is close to you but that is something i found

EDIT:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/987015853.html
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by maggot2011
A lot of people may talk trash but the Bugera 333XL blows away the Mesa in my opinion. Tone is very objective but I hate the Rectifier sound. And you're not going to afford a Mark series amp with that money.

Says the man with a Peavey Bandit. Marks and Rectos aren't all that Mesa makes. And I think everyone in the thread knows they are usually too expensive(and the TS doesn't even need that much power)

You don't HAVE to go Mesa, but it's probably good. They are versatile, especially F-Series amps, and trust me, they kick a ****ing Bugera's ASS. No competition.(And I actually don't mind Bugeras at all, I almost bought one).

DC-5, F30, Studio 22, Express 5:50. All 112 combos. Can't really go wrong, except that the Express can't get as heavy(by heavy I mean hi-gain extreme metal) as the others. I love F30's, it's another amp I was close to buying.
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Dang nice, very far away though which sucks. My major city is Knoxville and I really couldn't find anything there.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Looks like what I'm going to have to do is go amp testing at guitar center again, since they are like the only Mesa certified store near me. I wanted a freaking Vypyr the first time but my dad brough back this Marshall. Oh well I have more money now so more options.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Last edited by harrisonmon at Jan 22, 2009,
wow you can get a mesa for that much!?
we pay 2.k+ for a used mesa...
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by harrisonmon
Says the man with a Peavey Bandit. Marks and Rectos aren't all that Mesa makes. And I think everyone in the thread knows they are usually too expensive(and the TS doesn't even need that much power)

You don't HAVE to go Mesa, but it's probably good. They are versatile, especially F-Series amps, and trust me, they kick a ****ing Bugera's ASS. No competition.(And I actually don't mind Bugeras at all, I almost bought one).

DC-5, F30, Studio 22, Express 5:50. All 112 combos. Can't really go wrong, except that the Express can't get as heavy(by heavy I mean hi-gain extreme metal) as the others. I love F30's, it's another amp I was close to buying.

Just because I own a certain amp doesn't mean that I haven't tried a lot of others. Try living on a ridiculously strict budget with one freaking parent. I know what the hell I'm talking about. I know Mesa makes other amps (Roadster, Stilleto, etc.) but I speak from my own experience not make blind suggestions based on the popular opinion of some forum like other people.
TS try out stuff if you find it on CL and see what you like. Tone is extremely subjective.
Quote by maggot2011

He could easily afford a Mark III with that cash...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
dude so far what i've noticed is that ebay is the way to go. there a typical triple rec price is 900 bucks and thanks to our economic crisis sometimes youll see some really good stuff on there for a low price i'm really into the black face triple rec my self i'm waiting for one of those to show up becuse once i get one of these amps i can garentee ill never sell it but if your looking for great tonal ranges my suggestion would be youtube the crap out of these amps tell you find one with your type of tone i mean i'm even looking at a framus cobra/dragon,and a the dual rec road king just cause they all have tones that i want, thy may be just a little out of my price range but ill tell you what when you find that one with the perfect tone FOR YOU it will light a fire under your ass to save money
BC Rich NJ Beast transparent red, BC Rich NT beast gloss black,ESP F-100fm, OD-9,MT-2,NS-2,line 6 Spider 2 120

Late Goblin67
F-30's and F-50's are delicious.

I played one the other day for the first time.

Sweet.
Quote by xwearesinking
I personally like blackface Single Rectifiers, but I'm sure most people would want a MkII or Tremo-Verb combo instead.

its the ONLY mesa i have ever liked or would even consider buying.
TS i would suggest that you save up some more, maybe you could get a used mark IV?
My studio pre and 50/50 power amp cost £100. Add to that a 1x12 black shadow loaded homemade cab off E Bay for £30. Thats about $250-$300. So you should be ok.
Quote by xwearesinking

I've seen Triple Recs for $900, Duals for $750-800ish. I got my Single for $700ish but since then sold it.

They are much much more expensive overseas though.

Just check Harmony Central occasionally and you are bound to get a great deal.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by marantz1300
My studio pre and 50/50 power amp cost £100. Add to that a 1x12 black shadow loaded homemade cab off E Bay for £30. Thats about $250-$300. So you should be ok.

I either call BS or you got some ridiculous deals.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
F-30/F-50/F-100
DC-3/DC-5/DC-10
Studio .22/Studio .22 Plus
Caliber .50/.50 Plus
Mark III
Rect-O-Verb/Trem-O-Verb
etc.

All easily found under $900, in combo form.

god this guy knows his stuff......how long you been workin for mesa matrixclaw?!
Quote by MatrixClaw
I either call BS or you got some ridiculous deals.

I got some Fantastic deals. When I bought the Boogies,i didn't know what they were.I only wanted the 50/50 for my Hi Fi because it was a stereo valve amp,but the old guy selling wouldn't split them. I didn't play guitar at the time and it took me about six months to get curious enough to try the Studio . i bought a Les Paul copy for £10 plugged the Studio into the 50/50 and got hooked. I didn't have a cab at the time so was using them through my Tannoy HiFi speakers. Heres my 74 Hiwatt .That was £65 from a car boot sale.Just needed a pre amp valve. The cab is a 1x15 Fane.£12 boot
Last edited by marantz1300 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
god this guy knows his stuff......how long you been workin for mesa matrixclaw?!

I wish I worked for Mesa...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Besides a lucky find on Craigslist, newspaper, ect.....

THe general market on Recs are as follows...

Single Rec, $750-1000

Dual Rec, $950-1250

Triple Rec 1100-1400.

Ebay consistantly sets this basic market range, and the local music shops pretty much reflect this also, if not a tad bit higher.

Everyone here's someone say " I bought my triple rec for $750!", but it's either a beat pile of crap or a guy did indeed snag a sweet, rather rare, deal.

Anyway, I'd search for a Single Rec head, should be able to get one just under $900. THen, save your cash again and get an used cab. I'm a half stack guy though, not a fan of 2x12 combo amps.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by Khoifish321

or the Mark IIC+
Page 1 of 2