My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2 12
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Jekyl and Hyde Ultimate Overvrive (the old school one)
I like the accuracy of your gear. The sound you may be lacking are Nick's pickups. He uses p94s which sound different from humbuckers.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
hey thnx for the input, however nick valenci also uses a hollowbody epiphone with the p94s
so do u think i will get a similar sound by put ing those pick ups into my epi lp?
ughh thats just a horrible though, an lp without humbuckers?
ill proly just get his hollowbody riviera
cus i know epiphone has made the nick valenci riviera with p94s
im just a bit scared that its not the excact same guitar he uses
u know these badass bands always have some secrets when it comes to their gear lol
i know he also uses an mxr microamp for gainbost
do u think i should get that too? and just run my lp through it?
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Why are you trying so hard to make an exact copy of someone else's sound?

You'll never achieve the studio sound, period. There's so much other stuff going on to make a recording that you'll never be able to keep track of it all.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Jan 26, 2009,
You are also going to need his hands.....

In all seriousness stradivari310 is right, you will never get the studio sound of a band. There are just so many other factors to include other than the gear. Just sit down one day when you have a few hours and just fiddle with knobs, pedals and different settings in general. You may find something that you like better than The Strokes' actual tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
yep, then ima kill their guitarist and wear is skin and play in the strokes lol
jk but yes i love the tone of their guitars, if youve ever goten the chance to talk to badass musicans, such as blake miller from the moving units or daniel kelsner from interpol they will tell you that you really have to look around for your gear to get a beautifull original tone that very few people have, and im too lazy to do too much of that, i've already tried tons of amps and peadals from guitar center and they all suck, so its much better to go by the gear that u are sure that works(after all its your hard earned money ur spending) also copy interpol and the moving units when its comes to gear, its not like im becoming a clone of these bands when i do this, because i play to my own style and i will admit that its a bit ifluenced by all these bands and more, but when u learn all these styles that u adore and then put your own twist to personalize them, that is beautifull, and even if i was was a direct ripoff nick valenci(which i am absolutly not), my band would still not sound like the strokes because everyone in it has diffrent influences, and slightly diffrent styles. The only way a band can be a direct ripoff the another band is if 4 aholes get together and agree to be complete rip-offs, and then thier music will suck because it will not come from within. I copy their gear cus i really feel their tone and blends in nicely with what i play. but anyways this is a gear thread, not an ideological, moralistic music ethics forum, so lets get back into the gear talk =D
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Quote by LaidBack
You are also going to need his hands.....

TS, I'm sure you can find Nick Valenci, kill him, take his hands, and bring them to a renegade doctor in a 3rd world country. Don't worry, modern medical technology is your friend here.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

yeah ur right, laidback, but im just going for their live sound
i wont even touch the studio sound that is just way too complicated
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
First off dude, I agree and disagree with what you are saying.

Using the gear and style of your influences are fine to use as a starting point. That is what makes you love them in the first place, their sound. But I say, try and find your own sound. Be different, be what you hear in your head. Granted "that sound" can take 3 decades to find or $10,000 in one purchase because that amp/guitar/pedal/speaker/cab combination does it for you. All in all, just find something you like.

Second, try some punctuation and grammar. It makes things a LOT easier to read as opposed to a 200 word sentence.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
lol punctuations for suckers!
yeah ur right laidback but i always like going back and forth between the startingpoint and experimentation
right now its gear time again, and when i feel creative again, ill get back into experimenting
its also much easier to experiment when u got the right gear, then u wont be handicapped my crappy gear, dont get me wrong sometimes old mesed up crappy gear does wonders, but thats just to rare, and i dont have too much patience for that, lol what i hear in my head sounds allo like nick, daniel kelsner, jhonny marr, bloc party, and blake miller, but not 100% if u look at my gear i have a synth pedal, and am planing to get the new digitech overdrive pedal, no one has that, im absolutly going for my own sound, but it just happens that a portionof my own sound is similiar to other bands
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Last edited by interpol1988 at Jan 26, 2009,
Well in this case, you said earlier that a Les Paul without humbuckers is bad.. I beg to differ. P90s are some of the best pickups and can do any style really well with the exception of metal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

lol id love to try its it just feells a bit frankestienish lol
maybe ill do it if it sounds exrardonary, but i love my humbuckers, thats why i think im just gona have to get a 2nd guitar with p94, cus i really dont wana give up my humbuckers
if u know of any youtube or sounclip that has an lp with pickups id love to check it out =D
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah