Page 4 of 354
Currently reading The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.

After that I move onto Medea, The Aneiad, Paradise Lost, Iliad/Odyessy, Great Gatsby, and a double dose of politics with 1984 and Brave New World. After that I'll probably check out The White Tiger, Freakonomics, The Audacity of Hope and A Farewell to Arms.

I know this list seems absurd, but I went to India recently and found a bookstore in New Delhi. All of these were legit, but due to the exchange rate I went on a spending spree. So I'm gonna try and read all of these by the end of the year
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
I just put a hold on In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, so I'll be reading it when my library gets it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown

Probobly one of the greatest series' i've ever read. Im a little over halfway through the final book right now. It's phenomonal.

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,
I'm reading The Divine Comedy and The Dune Trilogy right now.

Just finished reading House of Leaves for the third time. Probably the scariest book I've ever read. If you haven't read it I suggest you get it now.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Tubyboulin! You've read the whole thing! answer my question.

Quote by GettintheLedout
Regarding The Dark Tower series by Stephen King:
I started reading it due to the high reviews from you guys. The first book was amazing, and when I was done I went out and bought the other six.
The second book was good, but nowhere near the awesomeness of the first.
The third was decent.
I couldn't finish the fourth. That was six months ago.

Does the series continue in this vein? Do the books keep getting more and more tedious? I know they get longer and longer, but do they ever return to the awesomeness of the first or at least the goodness of the second?

Basically, is it worth it to try to continue?
Quote by therealtater
I enjoyed Tuesdays with Morrie when I had to read it over the summer for english class

What English class makes you read that book?
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Quote by Shortbuschld
What English class makes you read that book?

I had to read it too.
PSN: snakeXdoctor

Quote by OneOfTheseDays
My friends cat smokes, wears a leather jacket and swears at me when i look at it.He is really fat so it makes it even more funny.
Quote by NuSiK
I had to read it too.

Really? That's odd. I thought most English classes generally stayed with the tried and true.
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Quote by therealtater
what do you mean by tried and true???

Um not necessarily classics, but older ones that are considered traditional. I guess stuff like Lord of the Flies, A Separate Peace, Of Mice and Men... stuff like that. The ones that are common among the High school English book lists.
Quote by Shortbuschld
Um not necessarily classics, but older ones that are considered traditional. I guess stuff like Lord of the Flies, A Separate Peace, Of Mice and Men... stuff like that. The ones that are common among the High school English book lists.

Ok I gotcha now, we had to read a separate peace freashman year I hated it haha
Quote by element4433
I just put a hold on In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, so I'll be reading it when my library gets it.

One of my favourite books. A true classic. Enjoy
^absolutely. that book is excellent.

after i finish The Road, i have no clue what to start. any suggestions? i would prefer something quick because i am quite a busy man at school. i'm thinking a Nabokov book that i haven't read...
Quote by uhh_me?

after i finish The Road, i have no clue what to start. any suggestions? i would prefer something quick because i am quite a busy man at school. i'm thinking a Nabokov book that i haven't read...

Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer by Patrick Suskind.
I read it right after finishing The Road. It was hard for any book to live up to The Road, but believe me, it lived up to the standards. Amazing book.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by uhh_me?

Have you read any other of McCarthy's novels? I finished No Country For Old Men in like 2 days. One of those books you won't put down. Blood Meridian is a great one too
Right now I am reading a book about Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell (the basketball players). It's not incredibly in depth or profound, but it's interesting (to me at least). It's the first book I've read for leisure in a long time, which is kinda sad... I used to read quite a bit when I was little, but then, for whatever reason, I stopped. I want to get back into it now.
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by The Picker
Right now I am reading a book about Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell (the basketball players). It's not incredibly in depth or profound, but it's interesting (to me at least). It's the first book I've read for leisure in a long time, which is kinda sad... I used to read quite a bit when I was little, but then, for whatever reason, I stopped. I want to get back into it now.

Yeah, same. I used to be a really avid reader when I was younger. I'm starting to get back to reading more, the last few years I've barely read anything
Quote by urik
Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer by Patrick Suskind.
I read it right after finishing The Road. It was hard for any book to live up to The Road, but believe me, it lived up to the standards. Amazing book.

i have been interested in reading that one for a while, but i keep forgetting about it. i'll grab it sometime soon.
Quote by lp345
Have you read any other of McCarthy's novels? I finished No Country For Old Men in like 2 days. One of those books you won't put down. Blood Meridian is a great one too

i haven't. i do have No Country, though. just haven't read it.

anyone read No Logo? i have been meaning to grab that, but it came out in 2000 and i feel like the information might be outdated.

other thing i am curious about is what stuff people would recommend i read by Noam Chomsky? i know that he is sort out there, but i am interested in what he has to say about a lot of things.
Quote by PLOP
Currently reading The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.

After that I move onto Medea, The Aneiad, Paradise Lost, Iliad/Odyessy, Great Gatsby, and a double dose of politics with 1984 and Brave New World. After that I'll probably check out The White Tiger, Freakonomics, The Audacity of Hope and A Farewell to Arms.

I know this list seems absurd, but I went to India recently and found a bookstore in New Delhi. All of these were legit, but due to the exchange rate I went on a spending spree. So I'm gonna try and read all of these by the end of the year

I think that list sounds great and I plan on reading some of those myself.

I also want to brush up on Norse mythology, but I don't know what to start with. For Greek and Roman Mythology I thought Mythology by Edith Hamilton was fantastic and then I just checked out the texts she referenced, but for Norse there was far less to work with, both because she focused more on the Greek and Roman material and also because there seems to be less available for Norse in general. Anyone have any suggestions?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by germaphobe
I've started reading James Joyce's Finnegans Wake, and I like it so far, though I'm only about 1/4 through.

The Picture of Dorian Gray was a really good book, as was Joyce's Ulysses.

You've actually read all of Ulysses? That's badass. I've tried but couldn't do it. I need to try again.

I just read The Bell Jar. Next on my list is some Sartre, Bukowski, Vonnegut, Palahniuk, Faulkner.

The Road was legit. I want to read more McCarthy. Has anyone else heard that they're making a movie out of it?
I just finished reading Lisey's Story, by Stephen King. It was a little boring at times, but still worth a read if you are a big fan of his like I am. He's written way better books. Now I'm reading The Green Mile, also by Stephen King.
Quote by kleenx
The Road was legit. I want to read more McCarthy. Has anyone else heard that they're making a movie out of it?

Read the Border Trilogy. 'All The Pretty Horses' is staggeringly good.

I'd love to see a movie of 'The Road'. All his later stuff reads almost like a film script anyway, so it should be pretty hard to mess up.
The best book I think I've ever read is Age Of Misrule. It's a trilogy I think, basically your average fantasy book (the usual "Find four talismans to summon ancient power" crap, but the quality of the writing overshadows that cliche). It manages to combine modern day setting with mythical creatures, and pulls it off very well. Ending is a little strange and abrupt considering the length of the build up, but that's it's only flaw.

It's also the only ever book to make me feel genuinely attached to the characters. Let's just say a tear was shed I'd recommend it to anyone, even people who'd usually hate fantasy novels
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
Last edited by con job at Jan 25, 2009,
Currently I am reading Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. It is strange, it is his first novel. The thing with it though is you know exactly what hes saying after 1 chapter. So it has become tedious.

Also read As I Lay Dying by Newton Faulkner. Every chapter is done from the perspective of a different character. And its incredibly funny. My mother is a fish.

Clockwork Orange, although its been said a lot. I feel it is overrated as a book, people call it the best ever, and it is really good, but not even close to the best.

Slaughterhouse five and Cat's Cradle. You will see.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brian is an interesting read, I truly admire the high level of diction he uses while still keeping an open general audience.

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon is very very very interesting. I think I will make this one of my favorites. The claims he throws in are just so...perfect. PM me if you read it and want to discuss it.

Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau, although more of an essay than a book, kicks more ass than Chuck Norris and Red Forman put together.

That's all I can summon off the top of my head.
Quote by eazy-c
I'm reading The Divine Comedy and The Dune Trilogy right now.

Just finished reading House of Leaves for the third time. Probably the scariest book I've ever read. If you haven't read it I suggest you get it now.

i absolutely love that book. i was about to recommend it but youve beaten me to it. probably the only horroh/thriller-type book to actually freak me out.

just finished bill hicks: agent of evolution today, thats really interesting too. im going to try get a hold of some Kerouac and once my dads finished reading the ragged trousered philanthropists im going to give that a go.
I'm about halfway through It right now. After I read it I'm probably gonna read Eric Clapton;s autobiography.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Right now, I'm about half way through Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. We have to read it for school. I really like it so far.

Can some one recommend me a good autobiography? I like to read about world issues, things like that,
the last good one I read was Memoirs of a Boy Soldier.

And also, can anyone recommend me a non-gory book by stephen king?
i read Blaze and The Eyes of the Dragon and enjoyed them both.
Quote by xo.elsa
And also, can anyone recommend me a non-gory book by stephen king?
i read Blaze and The Eyes of the Dragon and enjoyed them both.

The Dark Tower series.
PSN: snakeXdoctor

Quote by OneOfTheseDays
My friends cat smokes, wears a leather jacket and swears at me when i look at it.He is really fat so it makes it even more funny.
Quote by GettintheLedout
Tubyboulin! You've read the whole thing! answer my question.

Take my word with a grain of salt, because theres probobly 2 reasons why you're having trouble with the rest of the series. First and Foremost, the other books are far longer than The Gunslinger, and I read extremely quickly and got through them as fast as some people get through something small like Lord of the flies. Also, the 4th book was my favourite

But yeah, Wolves of the Calla was pretty damn good (Lots of mysteries and stuff near the start, big fght at the end). Song of Susannah was my least favourite I suppose, but then the Final book is excelent imo. Lots of cool stuff going on, especially around Blue Heaven. King also brings himself into the plotline wich i thought was cool (he does this around book 5 iirc, maby 6)

I'm on the last chapter of book 7, and since I've been reading all day i had to take a break

If you liked the first one because it contained way more fighting than Wastelands and Drawing, then the final few books should please you. Also, last half of Wizard and Glass has a nice battle scene that should do ya fine.

Quote by Fusanti_RHCP

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brian is an interesting read, I truly admire the high level of diction he uses while still keeping an open general audience.

Read Going After Cacciato. It's like he took the same ideas, added some more war, and then put in a bunch of general trippiness.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Tubyboulin
Take my word with a grain of salt, because theres probobly 2 reasons why you're having trouble with the rest of the series. First and Foremost, the other books are far longer than The Gunslinger, and I read extremely quickly and got through them as fast as some people get through something small like Lord of the flies. Also, the 4th book was my favourite

But yeah, Wolves of the Calla was pretty damn good (Lots of mysteries and stuff near the start, big fght at the end). Song of Susannah was my least favourite I suppose, but then the Final book is excelent imo. Lots of cool stuff going on, especially around Blue Heaven. King also brings himself into the plotline wich i thought was cool (he does this around book 5 iirc, maby 6)

I'm on the last chapter of book 7, and since I've been reading all day i had to take a break

If you liked the first one because it contained way more fighting than Wastelands and Drawing, then the final few books should please you. Also, last half of Wizard and Glass has a nice battle scene that should do ya fine.

Lets see... well I left my bookmark in at page 416. Thats part 3, chapter 4, paragraph? sub-chapter? 9.

I like The Gunslinger the best because it had the most momentum. The story MOVED. I liked the parts of Drawing that happened here because they moved, I didn't like the parts on the beach because barely anything was happening. Now in Wizard I'm stuck in this 400 page flashback and NOTHING IS HAPPENING. It pissed me off. And I'm a fairly quick reader, I average about 100 pages an hour in a novel. (Weirdly enough it doesn't matter about the format of the page.)

Arite I guess I'll get back into it when I'm feeling a lull in my reading. Thanks for your help.
alright so i have a hard time focusing on books long enough to finish them.. i started reading the road and i got about halfway through it but i couldnt keep going i was just reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bored. is the ending good enough to finish it or should i just leave it?
i just started The brothers karamazov, by dostoeyvsky. i know i spelled that wrong.
its long, but ive heard its really good.
I'm reading WATCHMEN. I know, i know, its a Graphic Novel but it has to be one of the better books i've read. They go really in depth with all the charactors, it has a great plot, and it is told really well. I recommend it.
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP

Also read As I Lay Dying by Newton Faulkner. Every chapter is done from the perspective of a different character. And its incredibly funny. My mother is a fish.

Sorry, I can't let it slide.

It's William Faulkner.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It