Page 5 of 354
Recently, I've read The Catcher in the Rye, Slash (the autobiography), and I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox. I've read all the other books in the Artemis Fowl series, and despite many people's ideas that it's a children's series, I think it's an excellent read.
I'm just about to pick up H.G. Wells's Short history of the world, It looks great. Anyone else here ever read Howard Pyle's Robin Hood. Love it. Dune's likewise a good one. Sweet thread; it's interesting to see what fellow pitmonkeys read. Half the supposed "readers" I've encountered here consider Stephen King high literature.
Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
I want to say that I love this thread!

It might be easier for me to list authors, rather than books...I am a voracious reader...I used to read up to 4 books on one international flight. And to Mr_Kite, I am not so sure that half feel Stephen King is high literature, just good reads.

And so, on to the list (I would recommend any or all these authors, just about any book)

Stephen King - everything but Gerald's Game
Clive Cussler
Tom Clancy
James Patterson
Robert Jordan
Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash)
John Saul
Dean Koontz (between my wife and I, we have read every one of his books)
Jonathan Kellerman
Patricia Cornwell
Homer (Illiad and Odyssey)
Piers Anthony (The Incarnations of Immortality)
Anne Rice (Vampire Books)
Douglas Adams
David Baldacci
David Liss (The Coffee Trader)
Clive Barker
Michael Crichton
Lee Child
F. Paul Wilson
John Grisham
Phillip Pullman (The Golden Compass books)
John Sandford (Actually shares my birthday )
Stephen R. Donaldson (The Gap series, White Gold Wielder series)
Robert Ludlum
Nelson Demille
J. K. Rowling
Christopher Paolini
J. R. Tolkien

That is all I can think of right now. Feel free to respond or PM me with specific books by one of the listed authors.
"If you can hum it, you can play it!"

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP: LTD M-10
Marshall MD10CD
Just finished crime and punishment and 100 years of solitude. both absolutely amazing, true masterworks. I'm now making my way through Notes from the underground and The Stranger.
Last edited by o d y s s e y at Jan 26, 2009,
Reading The Picture Of Dorian Grey at the moment. Only 20ish pages in.
Really good so far though!

Heart of darkness is next on my list though
Quote by Benjibum

Or in Final Fantasy terms, think of him as always casting Reflect on himself. The only way to hurt him is to cast Reflect on yourself and bounce Firaga off yourself.

What a load of rubbish. Just punch him in the ****ing shins.
Quote by mogan777

anybody in here read Jude the Obscure? my english teacher said it the most depressing book he ever read, which of course made me want to try it

Jude the Obscure (Thomas Hardy) is definitely the most depressing book i've ever read it's a beautiful book!
Quote by willis4
Reading The Picture Of Dorian Grey at the moment. Only 20ish pages in.
Really good so far though!

Heart of darkness is next on my list though

Both really, really good books! The Picture of Dorian Gray is my favourite thing Wilde wrote, alas his only novel! Heart of Darkness is weird but great, I got so inveloped in it I didn't notice time passing, just sat reading it for ages, 'tis very good.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
everyone talking about Heart of Darkness is making me upset. i had a copy of it, but it disappeared...maybe i just need to do some digging through my room.
Quote by uhh_me?
everyone talking about Heart of Darkness is making me upset. i had a copy of it, but it disappeared...maybe i just need to do some digging through my room.

I loved HoD. I need to buy a new copy though. Mine is..... well, not in very good shape. I don't know what happen.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Any H.P. lovecraft fans here?
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Just read Terry Pratchett's 'Nation.'
Nicely written, great moments, but to be honest I much prefer his Discworld stuff, so I'm looking forward to his next Discworld release which apparently will be called 'The Unseen Academicals' and will be about the wizards and football.
Quote by psychedelic14
Reading Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation' at the moment, tis' quite great.

When you're done, go back and read his robot series. Specifically the three with Elijah Bailey: The Caves Of Steel, The Naked Sun and The Robots Of Dawn.
Anyone have suggestions for really dark, twisted books? I want to read something weird as fuck. Sex, drugs, violence, death, gore, necrophilia, anything goes.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Story of the Eye by George Bataille was quite dark and sexual. it is also a really quick read.
Who here has read the Bell Jar, and what did you think? I read it a few months ago and loved it - I identify with Esther pretty well (scary?). However, I guess it's got a bit of stigma attached to it.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Quote by uhh_me?
Story of the Eye by George Bataille was quite dark and sexual. it is also a really quick read.

Quote by Wikipedia
It takes its title from an eye which the narrator extracts from the socket of one of his victims, and which is then used as a sexual fetish.

Sounds good.

Edit: My library doesn't have a copy.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Last edited by walkinbazooka at Jan 28, 2009,
Anyone over here read "Papillon" by Henri Cherriere?
It's his autobiography. He was convicted to life in jail for a crime he didn't commit in France. He decides to escape, and ends up going through many jails in many countries, through the island of the lepers... Well, shortly, it's one of the most amazing adventures you will ever read. And although it's extremely hard to believe, according to the autor everything is true.
Review from amazon:
The thing that Henri Charriere desired most was his freedom. A French prisoner, he never stopped plotting ways to escape. The only time when he didn't have a plan in motion was when he was either in solitary, or upon personal request of the warden (they would request that he didn't escape so that they could finish their term, and not have their record/pension ruined by his escape).

This autobiography spares no details about the violence and horrors that surrounded the prisoners daily. He loses a number of his friends to disease, or murder. Papillon was generally respected by his fellow prisoners, and the administration. He was quick to criticize the administration to their face. Many of the wardens and doctors even agreed with how screwed up the French justice system was.

Henri is very detailed about his experiences and escapes. He remembers well the people who aided him before, during and after an escape. You will find yourself rooting for Henri with each escape attempt!

There has been some criticism that say that Henri took details from other prisoners' accounts or that some of the anecdotes are made up. Regardless, this autobiographical tale of escape is better than any work of prison escape fiction that can ever be written.

http://www.amazon.com/Papillon-P-S-Henri-Charriere/dp/0061120669/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Anyone have suggestions for really dark, twisted books? I want to read something weird as fuck. Sex, drugs, violence, death, gore, necrophilia, anything goes.

Clive Barker - The Books of Blood, In the Flesh, The Inhuman Condition, The Great and Secret Show, Everville...basically anything by Barker except Weaveworld and Imajica (great books, just not containing what you want)

The Scream - John Skipp and Craig Spector

I'm sure there are more...these are just what are on the shelves behind me...

Gear:
Marshall MD10CD
Ahh, found a PDF. Gonna start reading now.
Quote by MetlHed94
Clive Barker - The Books of Blood, In the Flesh, The Inhuman Condition, The Great and Secret Show, Everville...basically anything by Barker except Weaveworld and Imajica (great books, just not containing what you want)

The Scream - John Skipp and Craig Spector

I'm sure there are more...these are just what are on the shelves behind me...

Thanks, I'll look into those too.
Quote by shattamakar

Last edited by walkinbazooka at Jan 28, 2009,
I picked up War and Peace (Maude translation) at my library today based on this thread. Gonna get in a little light reading...

Gear:
Marshall MD10CD

Chuck Palahniuk is the way to go for that I would suggest Haunted, Snuff or Choke.

Rightn ow I'm reading Gonzo: The Life Of Hunter S. Thompson and I'm in the middle of reading The Watchmen series before the movie comes out. After I'm finished with these two I've got about eight other books to read I'm not sure what to pick yet I've got to choose from

Rant-Chuck Palahniuk
Diary-Chuck Palahniuk
Lullaby-Chuck Palahniuk
It's Kind of a Funny Story- Ned Vizini
Inferno- Dante
Kingdom of Fear- Hunter S. Thompson
Slaughter House-Five- Kurt Vonne gut
Down The High Way The Life of Bob Dylan- Howard Sounes
Quote by panterarocker
Chuck Palahniuk is the way to go for that I would suggest Haunted, Snuff or Choke.

Rightn ow I'm reading Gonzo: The Life Of Hunter S. Thompson and I'm in the middle of reading The Watchmen series before the movie comes out. After I'm finished with these two I've got about eight other books to read I'm not sure what to pick yet I've got to choose from

Rant-Chuck Palahniuk
Diary-Chuck Palahniuk
Lullaby-Chuck Palahniuk
It's Kind of a Funny Story- Ned Vizini
Inferno- Dante
Kingdom of Fear- Hunter S. Thompson
Slaughter House-Five- Kurt Vonne gut
Down The High Way The Life of Bob Dylan- Howard Sounes

Yeah, I've already read Choke. I'm looking to read Snuff soon too.

And I just read the first chapter of Story of the Eye... was this shit really written in 1928? I didn't know they wrote stuff like this back then.
Quote by shattamakar

By the way guys, what book by Wilbur Smith do you recommend? I've read Triumph Of The Sun and loved it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

And I just read the first chapter of Story of the Eye... was this shit really written in 1928? I didn't know they wrote stuff like this back then.
exactly what i thought when i read it. the whole thing is just, i don't know, bizarre and shocking.
Quote by uhh_me?
exactly what i thought when i read it. the whole thing is just, i don't know, bizarre and shocking.

I mean this is shocking to ME, a 17 year old boy in 2009. Imagine what they thought in 1928.
Quote by shattamakar

I just read Choke by Chuck Palahniuk and Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman for school, both were good books by guys named Chuck. Although Klosterman kind of comes off as an asshole occasionally whereas Palahniuk always does, but thats why he's awesome.
My signature is stupid.
I'm starting Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky today. From what I've read so far (the first couple of pages of part one), it's very easy to read, despite it's considerable length. I expect it to be an excellent read, even compared to today's culture.
I've been reading quite a bit of F. Scott Fitzgerald, I just have to read The Beautiful and the Damned now. I'm reading Tales of the Jazz Age right now. I read The Picture of Dorian Gray a month ago as well and really liked it. I found it strangely corrupting even in 2008.

I bought an old copy of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood the other day, I intend on reading it sometime. I also got The Diary of Anne Frank cause I still haven't read it.
Quote by thewho65
I've been reading quite a bit of F. Scott Fitzgerald, I just have to read The Beautiful and the Damned now. I'm reading Tales of the Jazz Age right now. I read The Picture of Dorian Gray a month ago as well and really liked it. I found it strangely corrupting even in 2008.

I bought an old copy of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood the other day, I intend on reading it sometime. I also got The Diary of Anne Frank cause I still haven't read it.
Would you recommend the other works of F. Scott? My high school English class was assigned to read The Great Gatsby and I thought it was really well written.

However, I'm uncertain if his other works can compare to Gatsby?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by walkinbazooka
Yeah, I've already read Choke. I'm looking to read Snuff soon too.

Snuff was really good and had a great twist at the end. Haunted is a bunch of short stories that tie together with an elaborate plot. Guts is pretty well known for it's shock value from it.
Quote by Just Andrew
Would you recommend the other works of F. Scott? My high school English class was assigned to read The Great Gatsby and I thought it was really well written.

I hated Gatsby, myself.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Just Andrew

In my opinion Tender Is The Night is at least as good if not way way better than Gatsby.
Quote by Xoth
I'm starting Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky today. From what I've read so far (the first couple of pages of part one), it's very easy to read, despite it's considerable length. I expect it to be an excellent read, even compared to today's culture.

Yeah, it seems eerily modern (at least the translation I read) for its age. It's not super well paced throughout, but it's so psychologically engrossing that you really get pulled in and the pages fly by. You can call it a great suspsense thriller just as easily as you can call it great literature.
Recently I read the book Eeeee Eee Eeee by Tao Lin, and found it to be absolutely amazing. It's totally unlike anything else out there. It breaks pretty much all the established "rules" of literature and stuff, and does so in a positively brilliant way. I will never look at literature the same way again.

Has anyone else read it? Thoughts?
kill all humans
It's seriously called Eeeee Eee Eeee?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Victor Escobar
My favorite book is A Clockwork Orange.My second favorite would be Catcher In The Rye. In my opinion those are two of the greatest books ever written

Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorites.

I am currently reading
Atonement - Ian McEwan
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
The Fragile Species - Lewis Thomas
Guns, Germs, and Steel- Jared Diamond

I hate reading multiple books at once, but thats the way things have worked out for me. I would really like to finish FWBT and read up on this big stack of Bill Bryson I have. Also I would like to reread Life of Pi - Yann Martel, another favorite of mine.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by COBHC728
Just finished reading an extensive collection of Edgar Allen Poe's work. Really good stuff.

I asked for and got The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe, and I am loving it. The stories I read in High School (The Black Cat, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Masque of the Red Death, The Pit and the Pendulum, etc) were all so good that I had to keep reading.

One of my favorite books is The Picture of Dorian Grey...anyone else?
High as tits