So i've for a while tryed to create lead stuff by sticking in scales, and lately i've tried just messin around, dont care about what scale, playing lead stuff. And i like it more. Is there anything wrong with just playing what sounds good? or should you always play out of sclaes like minor pentatonic and stuff? Im a theory noob. dont bash haha
Well if it sounds good then its fine. The whole point of using scales as a base is so that you are able to make everything flow instead of just being a random collection of notes.
Quote by nathanlamb
Is there anything wrong with just playing what sounds good? or should you always play out of sclaes like minor pentatonic and stuff?

No, nothing wrong with it. But, OTOH, you'll probably be always just "messing
around" and that's where you'll stay.

You just don't know how to use scales yet. Using scales doesn't mean you HAVE
to use only scale notes. Not at all. Learn more about using them, acquire more
skill by practicing with them, or just mess around.
Quote by nathanlamb
So i've for a while tryed to create lead stuff by sticking in scales, and lately i've tried just messin around, dont care about what scale, playing lead stuff. And i like it more. Is there anything wrong with just playing what sounds good? or should you always play out of sclaes like minor pentatonic and stuff? Im a theory noob. dont bash haha

um well no matter what you in order to play in key and have sort of thought behind what yu play, you need scales. you dont need to play either one or another. you can mix them together if you want. the thing is, once you get to know music better, over time you begin to see it as less of scales and more of just music. but you should learn the "rules" before you break them in a sense.

like i said, you want to have some sort of thought behind lead playing. if you knew nothing about scales or keys, then you wouldnt really know what to play over a progression. and it would just sound like random non-sense. when you know scales you can put thought behind what you are doing. its like writing or talking. sure, you could make noises that sound fine, but to get your point accross better, you would need to learn how words and phrases are formed.
its fine to do sometimes. just dont use that as an excuse not to learn your scales. they help you in the long run whether you improvise by them or not.
Scales are notes that sounds good together so you already sound good i think it shouldnt be a problem to play what you want. but if someone play some chords and you want to play a solo over it you might need to play using scales which suits those chords.
If you don't know the key of the song and usable scales, chances are you will hit a note that sounds "off", that hurts peoples ears and offends them.
the scales are usually whats gonna sound good if you play them over the chord progressions they make, so usually when your screwing around your gonna wind up playing the scales for the most part cus thats whats going to sound good, occasionally you can get good at playing out of scales, but it takes so practice to make it sound right
Well, it depends what you mean by "soloing"
If you sit there for a while, and work out a lead line by ear, and then just play that particular phrase over certain chords, or if you want to improvise.
If you want to learn how to improvise solos, it is definitely good to know some theory, scale shapes, which to use, which notes you should resolve on etc etc
Like it was said earlier, you have to know the rules to break them. Passing notes add great contrast and interest to a solo you play, so I definitely recommend not totally sticking to a strict key.

For example, over the chord progression:
Emin7 Amin7 D7 G what would you play?
If you know a bit of theory, you'd know that a dorian scale generally works well over min7 chords, so you would play notes from an E Dorian scale, then switch to A Dorian, D Mixolydian, then play notes from a G major scale, maybe resolving on an E note.

Of course, that's only an example, you could just stick to a common key instead of constantly changing keys.
The possibilities are endless mate, but I wouldn't limit myself by not knowing any theory