Hey guys, I'm starting to get into prog music, Rush & Yes mostly, and I want to move on but I don't know where to start. These are the bands I want to get into:

Genesis
King Crimson
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Frank Zappa (Would you classify him as prog?)
Jethro Tull
Moody Blues

So if someone could give me a good place to start, preferably for each band, it would be appreciated.
Quote by guitarmaniac327
Hey guys, I'm starting to get into prog music, Rush & Yes mostly, and I want to move on but I don't know where to start. These are the bands I want to get into:

Genesis
King Crimson
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Frank Zappa (Would you classify him as prog?)
Jethro Tull
Moody Blues

So if someone could give me a good place to start, preferably for each band, it would be appreciated.

Genesis - Nowhere. Just don't.
King Crimson - I've only heard In the Court of the Crimson King and In the Wake of Poseidon, but I would recommend both very enthusiastically. I started with the former myself.
The Moody Blues - I would start with Days of Future Passed.
Anyway, thats just my two cents
Quote by Axegrinder#9
aaah King Crimson...

TS, you could blindly delve into King Crimson and see what you like, and pick and choose and listen to it that way, but to be honest, when it comes to King Crimson, I feel one is obligated to listen to albums in their entirety.

Furthermore, King Crimson have a rather varied history in terms of band structure and the way the music was composed, with the only constant in both cases being the venerable Dr. Fripp.

I suppose the definitive King Crimson album is, as others have mentioned, "The Court of the Crimson King" which was recorded by the first stable line-up of the band (including Greg Lake and Peter Sinfield). This is the late 60s era.

The 1970s era is my favorite King Crimson period in terms of their music. Firstly you have the incredibly well arranged and orchestrated dare I say, proto-symphonic rock album "Islands". This is probably one of the most unique of KC albums.

Thereafter, lyricist Peter Sinfield left the band, and King Crimson started recording, writing and improvising primarily as a trio (other musicians were of course recording and playing with them too) with the aid of the incredible Bill Bruford on drums, and prolific bass player, songwriter and singer, John Wetton. The recorded 3 of my favorite KC albums:

- Larks' Tongues in Aspic
- Starless and the Black Bible
- Red

Each of these albums thematically reference the other by way of music and words. Get all three and listen to them. This is where heavy metal might have gone, if unemployed unintellectual perverts hadn't ruined it in the 80s (causing the heavy sonic backlash of the 90s in form of grunge's rescue).

Thereafter Fripp announced KC to be defunct for a period of time. They re-emerged back in the 80s as a significant creative force along with the addition of Adrian Belew on guitar and the incredible Tony Levin on bass and Chapman stick along with Bill Bruford still handling the drumming duties. Someone already mentioned "Discipline" as worthy of checking out (I personally haven't heard this album). I'm not too familiar with their other offerings from the 80s.

As far as the 90s goes, I highly recommend "Thrak" which was recorded by the core 80s lineup as well as Trey Gunn on Warr guitar & bass, and Pat Mastelloto on drums thus creating the unique "double trio" format.

tune in on the elephant talk.

and definitely get hold of Discipline too. It's a gem of an album.
Genesis - Either Foxtrot or Selling England By the Pound
King Crimson - See the other posts, they are spot-on
ELP - Either the self-titled debut or Brain Salad Surgery
Zappa - Pick an album at random
Tull - Never really liked 'em
Moody Blues - No Idea
I would also HIGHLY recommend Camel
These Amplifiers go to 11
Gear:
Black Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass Bass II Bridge
Peavy Max-112
Various Others (keyboard, 12-string, etc)
king crimson - in the court of the crimson king
genesis - foxtrot or selling england by the pound
jethro tull - if you want a REAL prog album, get a passion play. if not, thick as a brick is a bit lighter

i would also recomend marillion as a good prog listen, there my personal favourite. get 1 of the 1st 4 albums (the 1's they did with fish) either script for a jesters tear, fugazi, misplaced childhood, or clutching at straws.
the face that launched a thousand frames, betrayed by a porcelain tear, a stained career! you've played this scene before.

welcome back to the circus
i always use the cue sheets, but never the nets,
i've listened to one track on script for a jesters tear, forgot which one but I liked it. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.
GEAR:
MiM Fender Stratocaster
Crate GLX212 120 Watt amp
Boss CH.......

You don't care do you?

CLUB SANDWICHES, NOT SEALS
IIIIIIIIIIIExplosions and Boobs. IIIIIIIIIIIII

...mmm, grass
The bands you listed have sounds that change significantly over time

My 2 cents:
Genesis: Selling England by the Pound & Foxtrot
King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King & Red
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery
Frank Zappa: Hot Rats
Frank Zappa & The Mothers: Freak Out
Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick & Aqualung
I don't have much to add concerning the bands you mentioned so here are some additional recommendations:

Free hand or In a glass house by Gentle Giant, imho the best prog band except for King Crimson. Complex yet accessible, entirely free of pretentious wankery that so much prog falls victim to, often funky and incredible vocal harmonies (listen to On Reflection or Knots and you'll know what i mean).

Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh by Magma. Kind of obscure, but this album is one of my favorite prog records. It's like an extraterrestrial gospel choir on steroids meets carmina burana.
I agree with the person who highly recommened Camel. They are like taking all the elements of alot of other prog bands (even the occasional Jazz flute) and putting them in one band...Mirage is the only one of their albums that i own a hard copy of. Van Der Graaf Generator is really good as well though maybe a little less accessable.
Man, some of you people with your Genesis suggestions... Yuck.

Take my advice - start with A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering if you're genuinely interested. Skip the silly Gabriel stuff until much later on.

*takes cover*
Barclay James Harvest - almost any album except maybe their first eponymous one.
Porcupine tree if your really bold or really good.
Some call It Bites prog. Again, not the easiest but a challenge is a challenge.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x