I think it is. I don't actually practice, per se. I plug my MP3 player into my amp, and just jam over songs/play along to those I know. I'll also try and learn what I've done with my teacher.

The thing is, I can feel I'm improved, and I enjoy this so much, that practicing properly might end up a turn-off...

Any improvements I can make that don't involve running through scales with a metronome?
Well, you should definitely do SOME scales with a metronome from time to time.

Other than that, just excercise your fretting fingers at all times and make sure you aren't anchoring your arm.
Quote by gabcd86
I enjoy this so much

^ Most important part of playing guitar. Don't think about trying to 'get' anywhere, your goals will shift and you might not reach them at all.
Quote by Tempoe
I do about 50% jamming and 50% exercises

+ 1

and play songs that you THINK you can't play and play them slowly until you can play them like it's a piece of cake...
practicing scales with a metronome is stupid...

If you can't remember a scale you should forfit.
All you learn going up and down scales is going up and down scales.

All you learn going up and down scales is going up and down scales

So you can play all shapes of the Minor Pentatonic, Major Pentatonic, Major, Natural/Harmonic/Melodic Minor, Whole Tone and Chromatic, at any tempo perfectly in time from memory?
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
So you can play all shapes of the Minor Pentatonic, Major Pentatonic, Major, Natural/Harmonic/Melodic Minor, Whole Tone and Chromatic, at any tempo perfectly in time from memory?

Minor/Major Pentatonic yes, Natural yes, Major yes and Chromatic wtf. who the hell needs to practice that, it's a given that you know that one.

I don't use the other scales.
It's not that hard to remember a six string pattern...

Why would you need a metronome anyhow?
Remember the songs melody and play it from your mind.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Minor/Major Pentatonic yes, Natural yes, Major yes and Chromatic wtf. who the hell needs to practice that, it's a given that you know that one.

I don't use the other scales.

Why would you need a metronome anyhow?
Remember the songs melody and play it from your mind.

Metronomes help you to grasp a solid rhythmic foundation. Not that you should just practice scales with them, but i think it helps to know the shapes of scales for lead etc.
If you find exercises boring, just do them for a small portion of your practice time, like as a warm up. Then you'll get some benefit from them and you can still play what you like.
Playing to song works as well.

Most people don't know how to practice well with a metronome.

They can play, but they can only start on common beats, and not on the 11th 16th note or something, and a lot of em also forget about dynamics, and their speedy stuff doesn't have any rhythmic interest.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
So, if you don't know how to use a metronome (my case), you're better off with a song?

I've noticed my speed getting better, although because I practice standing up, with the strap slung lowly, I have trouble using my pinky and the lower frets. I should probably raise it a little...
A little bit of scale practice can be good. Don't just go up and down though; try some hammeron/pulloff runs, like for instance:

e|-------------------------------------5-
B|-----------------------------5---5h8---
G|---------------------5---5h7---7-------
D|-------------5---5h7---7---------------
A|-----5---5h7---7-----------------------
E|-5h8---8-------------------------------

Stuff like that is a lot more useful to you when you improvise than straight up and down.

Of course not, but do you know the patterns for every note in the scale?
Call me Batman.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Huh?
Worst advice ever.

Scales build your muscle memory, and help your fingers be able to quickly navigate across the guitar. It also trains your ear to hear the tonality of that scale.

Just running up and down in over and over again isn't all that useful, but there are so many different ways to practice a scale, and each way is helpful in it's own way.

Anyway. gabcd86 you should learn to use a metronome. Playing along with songs is definitely a very important thing to be able, but so is just playing along with a metronome.

And raise your guitar.. Nobody will care how cool you look with your guitar hanging around your knees if you sound terrible playing it But, standing up when you practice is actually a really good habit to get into, so at least you're ahead of the game there.

wut

I mean there is a pattern for A in A min pent, C, D, E and G that connect and allow you to play the thing all over the fretboard.
Call me Batman.
Quote by icronic
Huh?

And raise your guitar.. Nobody will care how cool you look with your guitar hanging around your knees if you sound terrible playing it But, standing up when you practice is actually a really good habit to get into, so at least you're ahead of the game there.

How about just under waist level? :P

I will eventually, just let me continue being Slash for a bit
As long as you keep inspired to keep picking up the guitar you're fine. You'll get tired of playing with the MP3 player and want to play with the metronome. Then you'll want to play in a band. Then you get sick of the band cause their a bunch of asses. Just remember your MP3 player will never judge you. AL
what i do to keep interested is pick a handful songs to learn all of a difficulty that is just past my playing skill or below and practice. when u get bored of practicing just go off and improvise make riffs, solos write em down and return to practicing or go do something else its pretty effective.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Wow. Did you not ask about practicing in another thread because you
plan on dropping out of school to be a classical guitarist!? I might have sympathized
with that decision with some caveats, but all those statements are point-blank ignorant. Stay in school until you get a wider perspective. You don't appear to be well enough informed to make a decision like that at this point.

To TS, if you're enjoying it and feel like you're improving that's all you really need at
the moment. However, I'm guessing you're at the stage where just "doing
whatever" is sufficient to make improvements (like around 0-3 years playing). At
some point I think most people find that doesn't work well anymore and real practice
will have to be applied. There's a very real difference between practice and playing.
It can't hurt to find out more about that now and what it means.
Last edited by edg at Jan 25, 2009,