http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/985064488.html

hey what do u guys think about this? I am in need of a cab and i have a peavey XXX head and this looks like a great deal but i need your guys' help to see if its good or not.

ok this guy says its a guitar cab but on the avatar website it says it is a bass cab and yea...is it possible for him to have got it custom with guitar speakers inside a bass cab shell?

sorry for the newb question guys...
yea he doesnt live to far away from me and i want to see first hand...but still your guys opinion helps..
Astray, yeh go check it out. Make sure to play and listen for buzzing/rattle type sounds - signs of a damaged cabinet. Also, consider that cab will be pretty heavy and if you plan on moving it much check that it has casters. Of course you could always buy a cart.

I purchased my Legacy cab off of OC Craig's list (pix in profile)...been over a year and it still sings! As others have said, check it out/play it! If all checks out....offer 300 bucks (or whatever you think it is worth) and you've got yourself a great deal there.

BTW...those appear to be pretty standard (if not above standard) guitar speakers.
ok he emailed me and told me its only a 100w cab...but if it has 2 celestion vintage 30's like he said shouldnt it be like 120w just with those two? because i thought a v30 was 60w each...lol is that how it works? anyways my head is 120 watts and if its only a 100w cab i dont think that would work right?

sorry again for the noobness...
How often do you crank up your amp? The power handling is 4 times the smallest speaker's power handling, since the same amount of current will go to all the speakers (assuming they are all the same impedance).

So since the G12Hs are only 30 watts, I believe power handling would be 120 Watts. Which is still not ideal with a 120 Watt head... It's recommended to have at least 1.5 higher rating than what you're going to put through it.

But it wouldn't be too hard to take out the g12hs and replace them with something similar with a higher handling. You might even be able to make a few bucks.
Last edited by Jack Carver at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by Astray57
yea he doesnt live to far away from me and i want to see first hand...but still your guys opinion helps..

You live right near me!! And I'm very close to him too.

As far as volume, going 120w head into a 100w cab will be fine as long as it SOUNDS ok. 20w of difference isn't much, and if the speakers are being pushed too far it'll be clear in how they sound. There will either be "farting" or other undesired sounds coming from them.

Quote by Jack Carver

So since the G12Hs are only 30 watts, I believe power handling would be 120 Watts. Which is still not ideal with a 120 Watt head... It's recommended to have at least 1.5 higher rating than what you're going to put through it.

I have never heard of this 1.5x higher on the speakers. Heck I've even heard you can go a bit above with modern speakers and you're a-ok... and I can cite that with proof.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Jan 22, 2009,
well its like a 40 min drive so i guess its close enough haha.....but yea so u guys are saying it will work but i might push the speakers too far? how hard would it actually be to replace those g12s with 2 more v30's? because if its not that hard ill just do that myself...would that be a good way for me to go???
Well the hardest part is that you have to solder the speakers. When I rewired my cabinet we basically had to pull out each of the four speakers, get our wiring schematic out and then wired to taste. The hardest part was holding the speakers (I didn't realize a 12" speaker was THAT heavy.) in place while we soldered the wires, then you screw it into place from the front.

I think it's fairly easy. Albeit a 2 man job. And you have to remember your amp doesn't put out 120w all the time. The higher the volume the more it has to push itself, arguably if you're running at half volume (which for a 120w tube amp should be pretty damn loud) you will be running in the range of 60~90w. On top of that, a lot of the wattage is often lost to heat while INSIDE of the amp.

A 120w amp plugged into a 100w cabinet should be fine until you get the speakers replaced. Especially if you're only really running in the 1/4 or 1/2 volume range.
Quote by sargasm
oh really? i didnt know it works like that...hmm thanks for the info and yea 1/2 volume wit my amp is almost too loud haha unless im messin with a drummer.....well that should do fine untill i make the cash to buy 2 more v30's to replace it with...anyone else have any opinons on this matter???
Actually. Let me reevaluate what I said I just did some reading which changed my opinion slightly... you're getting a 4x12 cabinet. The lowest speakers wattage is 30w (the G12H) in a 2x12 cabinet, to get the max wattage you should put through you double the lowest speaker. Or you'd get 60w (if it had 2x G12H speakers). But since your cabinet is a 4x12 you'd split the signal FOUR times, not twice. Your cabinet should be able to handle 4x30w or 120w.
Quote by sargasm
ok u lost me with that last post..can u dumb it down a little for me? lol.
Hahah sorry. I have always believed in the whole: "Give a man a fish..." yadda yadda. I figure if you understand why it'll be easier. Let me try to break it down.

The lowest speakers wattage is 30w (the G12H) in a 2x12 cabinet, to get the max wattage you should put through you double the lowest speaker.

Basically in a 2x12 cabinet the signal from your amp is split into 2 different signals, so what happens when you split a signal in half? Well it's... halved lol. Right? So with that in mind, if you had a 4x12 cabinet you'd split the signal four times. (This only applies to a cabinet in Mono, stereo is just a hair different but don't worry about that now.)

Or you'd get 60w (if it had 2x G12H speakers). But since your cabinet is a 4x12 you'd split the signal FOUR times, not twice. Your cabinet should be able to handle 4x30w or 120w.

So with the above knowledge, and knowing that a 2x12 cabinet with say... a 30w speaker and a 90w speaker then the maximum wattage you can put into it should be 60w. This is because the signal is split in half once it actually goes to each speaker, meaning if 60w is pumping into it, 30w goes to each speaker right?

In a 4x12 the principle remains the same, if you have 2x 30w speakers and 2x 60w speakers the signal is split four ways. So in reality you'd be multiplying the lowest wattage by FOUR, not TWO, because the signal is split four ways. And the lowest wattage is 30w, meaning to get the max handling you'd say: (30w)(4 speakers) or 120w.

If that is still unclear. Think of it this way. You have 4 speakers, each one is going to get an equal part of the signal. If the speaker that can take the lowest amount is 30, well that's fine 'cause 120 divided by 4 is 30. Meaning you won't be exceeding any speakers max handling.

I hope that's a bit more clear. If you have any questions ask away.
Quote by sargasm
yes the power handling of a speaker cabinet is always the power handling of the LOWEST rated speaker multiplied by the number of speakers.

That being said a G12H is 30 watts.And there are 4 speakers. so... 30x4=120
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by funkymonkz
yes the power handling of a speaker cabinet is always the power handling of the LOWEST rated speaker multiplied by the number of speakers.

That being said a G12H is 30 watts.And there are 4 speakers. so... 30x4=120

That's what I said minus 5 paragraphs LOL!

I'm such a wind bag.
Quote by sargasm
oh wow u two cleared it up really well...hah i got it now thanks alot...soooo the way u described it..it can handle my 120w head no problem correct?
should be fine, however I wouldn't crank it past 7 or 8, just to be on the safe side.

not that your ears would survive from a 120 watt amp at 7 or 8..
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Damn... ive been looking for a Mesa cab here in OC. That looks like a good deal, id go check it out for sure.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
ok wow thanks alot u guys...i cant wait to go try this out and most likely pick it up haha...thanks everyone!