This is probably a pretty n00by question, but what is the name of this solo technique?

e|10-7----------10-7--10-7----------10-7--10-7----------------------------------

b|------10-10-----------------10-10----------------10-10--------------------------
My Gear Brah:
  • Ibanez K7 (silver)
  • Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony w/ gold hardware)
  • Mesa Triple Rectifier Head
  • Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Traditional Cab
  • Too many pedals to list...

Thats a solo?

Pretty ****ing lame if you ask me.

But I don't really think there are names for solo techniques. Solos are supposed to be unique lead breaks in a song, so there aren't really any "solo techniques." I know theres finger tapping, sweap picking, etc. but those are just general guitar techniques.

So what you have there is just a solo, although a lame one at that.
If you want to know how guitar players do certain parts of songs, watch a video of them on YouTube or something. It usually makes learning songs 10x easier.
It's a very small part of a solo. By no means the whole thing. It's in Trivium's song Shogun. I'll try to pull a full tab.

I was just wondering what that type of thing is called because I want to make sure I'm trying to play it right.

Edit:image attached
My Gear Brah:
  • Ibanez K7 (silver)

Last edited by guitarisrockin at Jan 22, 2009,
Doesn't seem like any specific technique to me. If you're having trouble playing it, definately go on YouTube and watch them play it.
It's in Matt's solo twice. I was just trying to see if anyone knew what that was called so I knew what to search for on youtube.
My Gear Brah:
  • Ibanez K7 (silver)

Well, since they are linked I assume he's doing pull-offs...
"Your just a monkey in a monkey suit, aww yeah!"-Piebald "Long Nights"
its a pull off... you pick the 10, pull of to the 7, then pick the 2 10's on the b string

so there is 4 notes, but 3 picks
*Enter Sig Here*
Whenever there are marks or symbols involved in tabs for solos, it usually means a "Slur" is involved.

If there is a slash between the numbers 7/9 it means that you slide between the frets

The arrows curving up (such as at the end of the first two stanzas) means you bend the notes up. In this case one full step, or, 2 frets

The zig-zag line above the ends of the first two stanzas means vibrato , which is where you more or less shake the note back and forth

And a curved bar above two or more notes (like the ones in your post) means hammer-on or pull-off

Contrary the what the other person has been posting, there are in fact many soloing techniques, and these are just some of the ways they are notated
Quote by Hale_91
its a pull off... you pick the 10, pull of to the 7, then pick the 2 10's on the b string

so there is 4 notes, but 3 picks

Sweet thanks for the help.
My Gear Brah:
  • Ibanez K7 (silver)

Just check the help file on GP5.
Help>Index>Using Guitar Pro>Write A Score>Add Symbols.
That will tell you all the notation they use.