So yeah, I have a strong feeling that I won't meet Berklee's standards for acceptance...can anyone help me out? Think I have a fighting chance? No shot in hell? I filmed myself just improvising for about 10 minutes with a loop machine...just going through my usual practice routines. Improv is fun!

I've been playing for about 4 years, self-taught...just wondering where I stand in the guitar world. Constructive criticism wanted.
Can you sight read?

know how to build chord up to 7ths/diminished/augmented and understand the concept of extensions?

Know about intervals understand them?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Well, I know how all that stuff works, I'm just...not good at it. I understand and know all the concepts, I'm just not good at applying them in a relatively quick manner. As far as sight reading goes, I could tell you what each note is on both a bass and treble clef staff...but can't really translate it to guitar. Currently taking piano lessons to help work on that.
Quote by jtfletch11
Well, I know how all that stuff works, I'm just...not good at it. I understand and know all the concepts, I'm just not good at applying them in a relatively quick manner. As far as sight reading goes, I could tell you what each note is on both a bass and treble clef staff...but can't really translate it to guitar. Currently taking piano lessons to help work on that.

you definitely need that stuff.

There are a lot of people applying, and there are probably more people that can do that stuff in their sleep, then that there are spots available.

It's 1 of the most prestige music schools, and they don't want someone that just can play songs.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 22, 2009,
I really enjoyed your improv thats for sure. What were the chords for the first part?
I can't really help about the Berklee thing though, but i think that you should go for it

And were you playing radiohead at the end?
Are You Shpongled..?
As "Darren" says it's really important that u can sight-read with your instrument. If u r going with guitar learn/practice sight reading at it. It's different than piano and piano won't be able to help u to sight read at guitar. You know, there are many notes that sound the same in different places in the guitar fret-board unlike in the keyboard. So, you'll have to learn the positions and how to switch between them. I think you should give the priority to sight-reading. I'm also planning to go to the auditions as soon as I get to america.
Good luck!
Quote by nugiboy
I really enjoyed your improv thats for sure. What were the chords for the first part?
I can't really help about the Berklee thing though, but i think that you should go for it

And were you playing radiohead at the end?

It was just your basic I-IV-V pattern...G7, C7, and D7. And yeah I was just messing around at the end...poor editing job. :-P
nothing really impressive...need something to make you stand apart...some of the improve were bad as far as key and didn't flow with the rhythm
A majority of the improv was just nonsense, and trying to discover decent riffs as well as working on remembering what notes are where, and when to hit them. Again like I said, it was just a clip of normal practice routine...if I didn't mess up a few notes here or there, there would be no need for practice. :-)

I'm just nervous about my audition, and I'm not sure if I can compete against some of the freaks of nature that apply to berklee.
I'm preparing myself for a music school myself right now.
The standards at the one I'm applying to are much lower because in the first year you're prepared for the real thing.

Don't give up, dedicate the whole month to Berklee.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I'm preparing myself for a music school myself right now.
The standards at the one I'm applying to are much lower because in the first year you're prepared for the real thing.

Don't give up, dedicate the whole month to Berklee.

If he can get too those standards in 1 month, then I am president of America in 4 years lol.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
If he can get too those standards in 1 month, then I am president of America in 4 years lol.

So he doesn't know any music theory?

4 years ago Obama probably wouldn't have believed that he is the president today
Quote by jtfletch11

Piano lessons will help you read sheet music but it won't help you translate it on the guitar, just on the piano.

If you really want to get into Berkeley using your guitar skills then the best thing to do would be to get a guitar teacher and tell him what you want to do.
just wondering how many people responding here either went to berklee or auditioned there or anything. i had an audition/interview in december and was accepted so ill probably be going there, but everything they say on their website is quite accurate. the more you can do with a guitar in your hand is great, but thats no the focus.

berklee wants individuals, people with something special or unique about them. if you write songs or anything, that will give you a BIG boost for them. unlike the suggestions people have given, sight reading and knowledge of 50,000 chords aren't as important as they seem. obviously if you can do that, then that's great, but you won't get snubbed because you didn't know 3 fingerings for a G#aug5/Bb...know what im saying?

#1 piece of advice: find an alumni. letters of recommendations do WONDERS
Quote by briman007
just wondering how many people responding here either went to berklee or auditioned there or anything. i had an audition/interview in december and was accepted so ill probably be going there, but everything they say on their website is quite accurate. the more you can do with a guitar in your hand is great, but thats no the focus.

berklee wants individuals, people with something special or unique about them. if you write songs or anything, that will give you a BIG boost for them. unlike the suggestions people have given, sight reading and knowledge of 50,000 chords aren't as important as they seem. obviously if you can do that, then that's great, but you won't get snubbed because you didn't know 3 fingerings for a G#aug5/Bb...know what im saying?

#1 piece of advice: find an alumni. letters of recommendations do WONDERS

but if anyone that can improvise gets accepted, then millions of people could get accepted to Berklee and then it's not that "prestige".

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
One alternative option I would suggest is, find a community college/ college close to home with a pretty good music program, like a diploma or something, and if you feel your skills improve from that experience, get another audition at Berklee. Obviously this would take money and time, but it will give you valuable insight into first off, what they'll be looking for in an interview and secondly, what it's like studying music.

Just a suggestion, do with it what you will, but I hope it helps.
To get better at sight reading, just do it a lot, in different places on the neck, you start to get a lot faster at it.
... "A modern method for guitar vol.1" by William Leavitt (Berklee Press) ... buy it ... NOW!
Also, get an Ear Training software (get=download) and maybe a book on Harmony ;-)
If you can afford it, get a GOOD teacher to prep you.
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
I have a good book i found in a yard sale about sight reading for guitar. Lemme check the title.......

For Guitar Players Only by Tommy Tedesco
Quote by xxdarrenxx
but if anyone that can improvise gets accepted, then millions of people could get accepted to Berklee and then it's not that "prestige".

again, not true. sure, a lot of people can improvise but not so many people can do it REALLY well. and from that group of people you have tons of different styles. bands cover songs because they want to put their own individual style to the song. thats what berklee looks for. individuality
Quote by briman007
again, not true. sure, a lot of people can improvise but not so many people can do it REALLY well. and from that group of people you have tons of different styles. bands cover songs because they want to put their own individual style to the song. thats what berklee looks for. individuality

BS do you ever go out?

Here in Amsterdam there are tons of people who can improvise amazingly, yet they have no degrees or "prestige" musical education.

Maybe they used to do that, but I think now it's more a business thing, which is cool, but not musical.

There are some people on UG in Berklee, and no offence they aren't that more unique then other people I hear.

You have some people who truly have their own style on Berklee, but the problem is not every (unique) musician/person has 130.000 +\- dollars to spare or something like that, when they come out of highschool.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
BS do you ever go out?

Here in Amsterdam there are tons of people who can improvise amazingly, yet they have no degrees or "prestige" musical education.

Maybe they used to do that, but I think now it's more a business thing, which is cool, but not musical.

There are some people on UG in Berklee, and no offence they aren't that more unique then other people I hear.

You have some people who truly have their own style on Berklee, but the problem is not every (unique) musician/person has 130.000 +\- dollars to spare or something like that, when they come out of highschool.

My point is that there is not exact science to getting into Berklee. They can't tell you what they want, because there are SO many different people trying to get in. Average players get in because they have something to offer, like good songwriting ability or a unique style. And amazing players get in because they're amazing. As a prospective student you just have to learn whatever you can. It's just opinions on here
Quote by briman007
My point is that there is not exact science to getting into Berklee. They can't tell you what they want, because there are SO many different people trying to get in. Average players get in because they have something to offer, like good songwriting ability or a unique style. And amazing players get in because they're amazing. As a prospective student you just have to learn whatever you can. It's just opinions on here

You must understand, the best students with a lot of money get in.

If the musical standard of the people that audition in a given year isn't that good, they will still be accepted, because well, empty classes is not going to pay

You have other prestige universities like Juilliard, and they give FULL scholarship if ur truly amazing.

You seem to give the impression that only talented players audition to Berklee.

I think Berklee used to be very good, but things like this that get hyped actually attract more bad musicians then good ones (which also explain the high drop-out rate).

The school is hyped because it's a school were you can play jazz and still be a "metalhead" or rock guitarist, and not because it's amazing musical education. Although if someone offers me scholarship I'd accept, cause the experience and studio's are good as well as it's place in the music BUSINESS.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^ yep money helps for sure.

that being said, I'm sure it's still a good school. I imagine you get out of it, what you put into it. (like anything)

I think a big part of the hype can be summed up in two words.... Dream Theater
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 25, 2009,
I'm in the same boat as you, man. I'm auditioning on clarinet on Feb. 28th, and I'm shitting myself. I honestly don't think I can make it in, but I'm sure as hell not going to let them know that. I think confidence plays a good role here.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I think Berklee used to be very good, but things like this that get hyped actually attract more bad musicians then good ones (which also explain the high drop-out rate).

That drop out rate is so high because students have bad expectations. They think they'll hit it big in three months, they don't want to learn the jazz; their ego's are just too big for berklee's tiny square of boston.

But you're right, a college is a business. Their primary goal is to fill their potential enrollment with the best people that apply.