haither! its ur friendly neighbourhood dmirtygorachyov again!

Hai hai hai hai hai

Anyway, backto the point, scalloped frets! from what ive looked up, scalloped frets apparantly "feels like playing on air", "Makes u play faster" <-- Dont c how, "Takes a while to get used to if your a beginner" <-- Why? (i question this one because when i play on my non scalopped fretboard, my strings dont even get incontact with the wodden part of the fret board, let alone my fingers?) , "feels nice" <-- WHYYYY DOES FEEL NICE!!!! jUST Cos its expENSivE>?>>

So as my curiosity grew, i went to the biggest guitar store i know at the moment ( i dont know very much becuase if i wanna buy a gutiar i buy them online ) which is alans music in melbourne. But for some stupid ass reason, they dont have any guitars which have scalloped frets. Even the shop runners, when i ask them about scalloped frets, theyre just like ??????????????????????????? if u get what imsaying. So like yea they said htey didnt have any but i looked around and i found a ibanez jem (they r so sxc) and i notice how the faggot bull****ted cos theres one right infront of my motherfkin face. Anyway back to the important part.....

Only the 4 last frets are scalloped, which kinda makes less sense to my logic. My fingers and string doesnt even touch the wooded part on about the 5th fret let alone the 24th.Why is it there? what does it really do? Ofcourse i wanst allowed toplay it cos it costs 6k at the shop (Aussie dollars). faygots tryand rip u of when u can get them for about 1.5k-3k on EBAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! but i did just press down on the frets as they were hanging and i didnt feel anything special.

so What do they actually do? Instead of slightly digging into the frets... I r soconfuzzled. Does alot of ppl who play guitar press on the frets so hard that scalloping them help themplay slightly more easily? respond plz

thanks <3
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Ofcourse i wanst allowed toplay it cos it costs 6k at the shop (Aussie dollars). faygots tryand rip u of when u can get them for about 1.5k-3k on EBAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

You can do it for 5 bucks in a few hours if you do it yourself.
------------------
oops sorry wrong thread (remove me i dont know how)
Last edited by dmirtygorachyov at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Laugh out loud, okay, I'll try my best, but i don't mind if it is a masterclass from a pianist or a bassist. I just want to see one from someone very professional (did i spell that right).

I think most solo guitarists, like Yngewie, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani (I think) and all those "shred" types use scalloped frets.

To be honest I don't see how much difference it would make.
Quote by dnamra13
yngwie malmsteen is one of the best known players who uses scalloped frets. he says in various interviews that it makes you play slower unless you know what you are doing. he likes it because it requires less pressure so he can dig in beter with his vibrato style of playing.

But in what way makes it require less pressure? The strings still rest on the same metal thingos on the fretboard, right?
IT doesn't make you faster, it gives you more security to grab strings faster and helps with bending, especially higher on the neck.

Now when you bend a string, you bend it with the tip of ur finger. However not ur full "power" is behind the string. If you scallop ur frets, ur finger has more room to get behind the string.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
IT doesn't make you faster, it gives you more security to grab strings faster and helps with bending, especially higher on the neck.

Now when you bend a string, you bend it with the tip of ur finger. However not ur full "power" is behind the string. If you scallop ur frets, ur finger has more room to get behind the string.

That's pretty much it. I've got a guitar with a scalloped fretboard, (half scalloped actually, 12-22). It took a little getting used to, but once I did it became my main guitar. I feel that it helped me develop my vibrato and bending to the level that I was searching for. It also makes hammer-ons and pull-offs easier. But it in no way makes you play faster. I got that neck from Warmoth. They make awesome stuff.
I had a repairman scallop the whole neck on one of my other guitars, and didn't care for it. You don't have as much control on the lower frets.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by seth's daddy
That's pretty much it. I've got a guitar with a scalloped fretboard, (half scalloped actually, 12-22). It took a little getting used to, but once I did it became my main guitar. I feel that it helped me develop my vibrato and bending to the level that I was searching for. It also makes hammer-ons and pull-offs easier. But it in no way makes you play faster. I got that neck from Warmoth. They make awesome stuff.
I had a repairman scallop the whole neck on one of my other guitars, and didn't care for it. You don't have as much control on the lower frets.

ah ye that's cool stuff.

I scalloped top 4 frets myself of an old copy strat, which I hardly use anymore, still neat stuff.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
So based on waht everything is said here + everything else ive read, i have come to the conclusion that i want to personally scallop my own rg 350dx BCOZ--->

1. i dont press very hard on the fretboard therefore getting used to scallopped frets wud b like eating pies from a babie

2. I want to be a nerd at guitar and not b limited by ****ty vibrato : )) n bending

3. lookz supa kuel

4. pretty sure if i sellmy guitar can ear an extra few more dollars?

If anyone has anymore points to this or think im wrong frommy points, we shall argue. LeT DA BATTLE BeGINz
Quote by xxdarrenxx

O and does being ableto "grab strings faster" make u play faster in general? unless the bullet of ur point had little accuracy. (Get it get it? tellme if u dont get it... the bullet of your point part, sounds genius to me)
Before you scallop your guitar, (which you can't reverse by the way), consider having larger frets installed. 6100 or 6000 fret wire will give you an almost scalloped feel. 6000 wire is HUGE.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by dnamra13
yngwie malmsteen is one of the best known players who uses scalloped frets. he says in various interviews that it makes you play slower unless you know what you are doing. he likes it because it requires less pressure so he can dig in beter with his vibrato style of playing.

+1
You want to scallop your guitar and you've never even tried playing one? You should improve your technique rather than hope it gets better with a new kind of guitar. Once you know that playing a scalloped guitar will be better for you, i wouldnt recommend you to scallop your guitar.
Holy Christwagons. Can you please rewrite that.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You can scallop your frets when you know how to pronounce "Framus."

Seriously, though, it's it a personal choice. Malmsteen likes them on the high frets (but not the lower) and plenty of others have normal frets. I don't know who all uses scalloped frets, but someone out of the following list of fast guitarists must not: Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Mike Romeo, Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, etc.
I played an Yngwie signature Strat once, and while I liked the way it felt, I wouldn't be able to play one.
I end up pushing the notes sharp because I really dig in when I play.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
its all about them scalloped potatoes
Grinding at your head with my bone saw breaking zygoma
Quote by AmIEvil?
You want to scallop your guitar and you've never even tried playing one? You should improve your technique rather than hope it gets better with a new kind of guitar. Once you know that playing a scalloped guitar will be better for you, i wouldnt recommend you to scallop your guitar.

Does anyone know where i can find a fully scalloped fretted guitar in a shop so i can testt drive it? I tried looking for one but they dont have any. I live in Australia, melbourne. But ill save my scalloping project maybe later in the year, maybe the next schoool holidays, even if i liked playing wif scalloped frets, which i dont see how i wont.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I've never encountered a guitar with every fret scalloped.

or maybe even half the fretboard scalloped, u know, a reasonable amount,not jsut the last 4 frets
I was at a clinic with Matthew Mills who is a neoclassical player and plays an American custom schecter with scalloped frets. He says of course it does not just make you faster or anything like that. The reason he uses it is for the vibrato. He said he has let blues players play his guitar, who use tons of vibrato and even they were amazed by the vibrato they were able to get. He let people play his guitar afterwards so I picked it up and at first it felt very awkward but after a few minutes I could definitely tell what he meant by the vibrato. A couple other players who use it besides Ynwgie are Joe Stump and George Bellas.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by bangoodcharlote

The only player I can even think of that has all frets scalloped is Ritchie Blackmore. Maybe he has a sig model? I dunno.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
The matthew mills guitar I played had every fret scalloped. As did Joe Stumps. Look into custom shop Schecters, they are the only Schecters I would consider buying.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by bangoodcharlote

The Yngwie Malmsteen signature Strat is full scalloped.
Our Guitar Center had one for about a day before someone bought it.

I also played a used mutt guitar a little while back that had a full scalloped neck.
I think it was an ESP neck, but I don't remember.
That was possibly the heaviest guitar I've ever played--I don't know what the body was made of, but it weighed a ton.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.