haither! its ur friendly neighbourhood dmirtygorachyov again!

Hai hai hai hai hai

Anyway, backto the point, scalloped frets! from what ive looked up, scalloped frets apparantly "feels like playing on air", "Makes u play faster" <-- Dont c how, "Takes a while to get used to if your a beginner" <-- Why? (i question this one because when i play on my non scalopped fretboard, my strings dont even get incontact with the wodden part of the fret board, let alone my fingers?) , "feels nice" <-- WHYYYY DOES FEEL NICE!!!! jUST Cos its expENSivE>?>>

So as my curiosity grew, i went to the biggest guitar store i know at the moment ( i dont know very much becuase if i wanna buy a gutiar i buy them online ) which is alans music in melbourne. But for some stupid ass reason, they dont have any guitars which have scalloped frets. Even the shop runners, when i ask them about scalloped frets, theyre just like ??????????????????????????? if u get what imsaying. So like yea they said htey didnt have any but i looked around and i found a ibanez jem (they r so sxc) and i notice how the faggot bull****ted cos theres one right infront of my motherfkin face. Anyway back to the important part.....

Only the 4 last frets are scalloped, which kinda makes less sense to my logic. My fingers and string doesnt even touch the wooded part on about the 5th fret let alone the 24th.Why is it there? what does it really do? Ofcourse i wanst allowed toplay it cos it costs 6k at the shop (Aussie dollars). faygots tryand rip u of when u can get them for about 1.5k-3k on EBAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! but i did just press down on the frets as they were hanging and i didnt feel anything special.

so What do they actually do? Instead of slightly digging into the frets... I r soconfuzzled. Does alot of ppl who play guitar press on the frets so hard that scalloping them help themplay slightly more easily? respond plz

thanks <3
Well, you don't see them on many guitars because they cost more money to make. I think the scalloped frets are supposed to make it easier to do bends. It makes sense on the last few frets, although Yngwie has it on every one.

BTW, have you been doing any drugs?
Last edited by Brownie2 at Jan 22, 2009,
It helps you UNLEASH THE FOCKING FURY!

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. But yeah, according to Malmsteen, it's a different feel, but you get a firmer grip. I tried a Malmsteen strat, tbh I prefer normal frets, but to each his own.

Also, are you having a stroke? Because your really talking like you should see a doctor.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
To play scalloped frets, you actually have to press lighter since pressing hard will make notes go sharp. But the idea behind scalloped frets is the same as large frets. Your fingers don't touch the board so there's no resistance when doing stuff like bending or pull-offs. I personally don't see the point in scalloping the last 4 frets. The higher on the fretboard you get, the less you touch the board. Playing with a scalloped board can also be harder because you have to be very conscious of the pressure you put on the strings, but it will be faster and smoother since you never touch the board.
I have an Yngwie Signature Strat (borrowed off a mate XD)
Anyway, all I can say is that they are EXTREMELY different to normal frets.
They give you a "firmer grip" on the notes, if you get what I'm saying...I's a lot easier to bend and do vibrato, but they don't play as fast, in my opinion, as normal frets do.
And if you've been playing a normal fretted guitar, it takes quite a bit of getting used to.
Your a bit of a joke. I have been to Allans Melbourne and that Ibanez Jem is not 6k, its 4.5k, and you can not get a Jem new ANYWHERE in Australia for under 3.5k.

It seems like u have a bit of a grudge against Allans Music? U probably bought a crappy $250 Epi SG and are mad cos u think u got ripped off
RG's & Mesa's
Scalloped means you dont touch the fretboard. You play faster, and you're pressure on the strings affects the tone more. It also makes tapping much easier, imo. It's harder for beginners because you have to get the exact right pressure on the strings on each fret to produce the right sound...
Quote by e32lover
Your a bit of a joke. I have been to Allans Melbourne and that Ibanez Jem is not 6k, its 4.5k, and you can not get a Jem new ANYWHERE in Australia for under 3.5k.

It seems like u have a bit of a grudge against Allans Music? U probably bought a crappy $250 Epi SG and are mad cos u think u got ripped off

Not sure but have u ever heard of different kinds of Jems? Look it up, ull be suprised, and i never talked about the price being jsut from australia...... (if u still dont get it, wikipedia the word import)

O n igot a super l33t rg 350dx for 500 aud + a hardcas en a strap +GOTOH tunerZZZZ TALK ABT VALUEEEE
i scalloped from 12 to 22 the other day
and it does help i reckon and the whole playing on air thing is true and a little off putting for me at least. and bends and what not are easier, just personal preference i reckon
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
also scallpping is just somethign you do yourself
i dont know of any guiars other than the jem that comes with scallops
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Oh yeah i forgot, your right, u can get a chinese jem copy for probably 100AUD. I thought u were talking about new Ibanez Jem's. My mistake
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by JELIFISH19
To play scalloped frets, you actually have to press lighter since pressing hard will make notes go sharp. But the idea behind scalloped frets is the same as large frets. Your fingers don't touch the board so there's no resistance when doing stuff like bending or pull-offs. I personally don't see the point in scalloping the last 4 frets. The higher on the fretboard you get, the less you touch the board. Playing with a scalloped board can also be harder because you have to be very conscious of the pressure you put on the strings, but it will be faster and smoother since you never touch the board.

Scalloping of the last 4 frets on a JEM started with the original 777's. They had the square neck heel, and so the last 4 frets were on the fretboard overhang. They had little to no sustain and didnt ring out properly, so they scalloped them. It fixed the problems caused by the overhanging fretboard.
On newer AANJ JEM's the scallop is purely cosmetic.
Quote by e32lover
Oh yeah i forgot, your right, u can get a chinese jem copy for probably 100AUD. I thought u were talking about new Ibanez Jem's. My mistake

k, ill leave u to not using money wisely in ur little world, for now IVE GOT HUNDREDS OF DOLLERZ TO SAVE wiF MY BRAIN!!!! and as far as im concerned, hundred of dollars is a good amount of money to save, but thats jsut me
Quote by e32lover

O and can u show me where i can find a chinese jem copy for 100aud? I can only find stratocaster copies for 100 aud, Really wudnt mind a jem copy : )
Just find a used Squire and scallop it yourself. Very easy job, time consuming, but very easy.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Check what this dude did to his Kramer Striker

Did it himself, says it's one of his best guitars. Looks super sweet.
played an Yngwie strat, scalloped frets feel godly to play on.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
O and can u show me where i can find a chinese jem copy for 100aud? I can only find stratocaster copies for 100 aud, Really wudnt mind a jem copy : )

You realize that buying a copy of a guitar that is worth over a grand in US dollars for 100 is just gonna be horrible quality right?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
You realize that buying a copy of a guitar that is worth over a grand in US dollars for 100 is just gonna be horrible quality right?

BUT IT LOOKS SO PRETTTYYYYYYYY, plus i bought a strat copy for 100 aud and its not as bad as they say, tho still bad, its very good for a starter. But after 5 months, my sweat managed to penetrate the fretboard and now theres crevasses in them! luckily i dont use that anymore, but it just isnt as bad. It probably feels as bad as a 24 fret 400 Aud cort of somekind? tho there is some buzzing, u dont expect a 100 dollar guitar to b perfect, even tho its way more than enough to start off with. But presonally if i had to choose a guitar to start with that costs about 100 dollars, id get that ibanez copy anyday!

p.s. ITS BAD QUALITY! <---- My reply to this is "orly"