Ok guys im new here and just got into guitar about a week ago i've been learning some simple songs like Come as you are, Iron man, Smoke on the water and started on a few others.

What i want to know is what excercises, scales etc should i learn and practice.

Im really into my heavy metal and would like to head towards shred guitaring and heavy metal guitar, I like the killswitch engage guitarist style alot.

So what Im more a less asking is what do you guys think I should start on now to eventually get to that level, thanks guys
Last edited by guitarnoob2009 at Jan 22, 2009,
Check out the lessons on this site - I'd start off with chromatic exercises to warm up, open chords and the pentatonic scale
Well if your into metal guitar, your probably going to want to know about drop tunings like, drop D and drop C. So go look learn about that, along with doing some of the other things they suggested.

Best of luck with your guitar playing.
for me, i just learned the easy parts of the songs i liked, so when i got bored of learning/practicing scales + chords i could just rock out to some powerchordage and simple soloes. just search in the tabs section of UG
Learn the penatatonic scale and the learn the blues scale, the blues scale is basicly the same as the pentatonic, but say for example you were playing in A, you would put the note D# in it. They are all you need to start on.
thanks for the help guys i forgot to say, im currently using acoustic until april the third so any scales, exercises or songs to get me playing fast by then would be great thanks
Some good tips in here, thanks as well. Just starting out myself, and wanted to get some advice. Hopefully the UGG will help me improve my technique, and speed my progress along a little bit.
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected. ~Chief Seattle of the Suquamish~
Personally, the first thing I learned was powerchords, then I learned the pentatonic scale, and from there all I've done is play songs that I like but challenge me.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
learn arpeggios and the harmonic minor scale. theyre the key facotrs in my shredding. and you only started a week ago and can actually play? it took me 2 or three to play half a song lol. 4 and a half years on, i feel stoopid for being so bad.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Ok guys just thought i'd tell you i can know play the full songs
Search and destroy-Iggy and the stooges
Otherside-Redhot chilli peppers
Dammit-blink 182

Any suggestions for easy but cool sounding heavy metal or rock songs
Try We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister, it's really easy. Also Paranoid by Black Sabbath, a step up but not too tough.
Quote by tele432
Well if your into metal guitar, your probably going to want to know about drop tunings like, drop D and drop C. So go look learn about that, along with doing some of the other things they suggested.

Best of luck with your guitar playing.

Wrong. Do not even think about tuning down without first learning the basics.
Quote by guitarnoob2009
Ok guys just thought i'd tell you i can know play the full songs
Search and destroy-Iggy and the stooges
Otherside-Redhot chilli peppers
Dammit-blink 182

Any suggestions for easy but cool sounding heavy metal or rock songs

This was the first song I learnt. Nice choice

I would suggest Iron Man. Not just for the main riff, it's also got some other greats riffs in there and the solo is pretty challenging. Any songs from the Paranoid album really.

If you're into System of a Down, Aerials and ATWA are two easy songs that can be pick up pretty quickly. They're in drop C but just ignore it and learn in standard.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Last edited by b4t3man at Jan 26, 2009,