Im in the market for a compressor pedal

im looking to use this on my cleans to cut throught the phase 90 a bit more and to add defintion to single note runs etc.

it doesnt have to be the most transparent but if it did have a tone knob then that would be great

Ive tried the boss CS-3 and i wasn't that keen on it same goes for the marshall ed the compressor

ive looked at the mxr dyna comp but i dont know anywhere round here to go try it out

my buget is about £60/$120

i could go abit more if its worth it

if you have a suggestion could you let me know why you picked it

cheers
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
i think its a t-rex room mate, i know JB the guitarist for august burns red uses it for his live rig, and it sounds awsome. thats the only metal worthy compressor i know of and used.
the t-rex room mate is a reverb pedal im after a compreesor

i love t -rex stuff but its too pricy for me atm
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

I was quite impressed with the EHX Soul Preacher. The Dyna Comp was a little bit too subtle for me. I guess i'm looking for a really heavy compression...

Anyway, it's worth trying if you can find one.
I'm not cool.
Just for future reference, if you have £60, then that's not $120, it's about $70-80 after UK taxes and mark-up.

The Dyna Comp is indeed a good cheap compressor. It will change your tone a bit, although it's notable that some people think it changes it for the better. It isn't that noisy for a cheap compressor, and if you'd like to make some changes to it, there are lots of mods online, since it's a fairly old and popular circuit.
Yeah a more notice able compressor is what im looking for

as i said its only for my cleans to put that defintion back

I'll have a look at the soul precher
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

ive seen many reviews of compressors and they say a noise gate is a must

i have a Boss NS-2 were would i put this in my effects chain

I have it at the begining atm
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

i would like to know where to put a compressor pedal in my setup

i heard it makes some noise and im wondering were to put it inconjunction with my boss noise supressor
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

A compressor is usually your first pedal. And never heard that a noise suppressor is needed with a comp pedal. I use a compressor and have never owned a noise gate or suppressor. That seems to be a new thing that noise gates solve all problems. A comp will amplify any noise you have, so if later in your chain can create noise problems but if its first has a limited amount of noise to amplify. I got a BYOC comp kit it has more controls than a dyna comp. A simple compressor isnt hard to build. With distortion you dont really need much if any compression as it naturally compressed by being clipped during distortion. Its more of a clean/lead thing.
keeley compressor?
retrosonic compressor? (never tried this one but the guy at proguitarshop said it's his favorite)
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
I'd put the noise gate/suppressor at the end of your chain, unless you use a volume or reverb pedal. Put the compressor near the beginning of your chain, before any distortion/OD or wah pedals.

Here's a link:

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/guitar_effects_guide/

eyeEDIT: The end of the article has a good diagram. I have the ISP Decimator, and its a good NOISE SUPPRESSOR, its not a compression pedal. Just so everybody knows...there IS a difference. A compression pedal will amplify the noise in your rig, thats why you would need a suppressor/gate like the TS is talking about. I'd also recommend the Soul Preacher.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 22, 2009,
thank you all for you help

im going to try the soul preacher and the artec turbo comp (does anyone have an opinion on this one) i really want that maxon cp-9 but i dont seem to be able to get it in england
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Quote by peavey6505+user
thank you all for you help

im going to try the soul preacher and the artec turbo comp (does anyone have an opinion on this one) i really want that maxon cp-9 but i dont seem to be able to get it in england

Haven't tried the Artec...but I've tried a few of their other pedals and I was pleased.
Quote by thenewguy729
Get a ISP decamitor, hands down BEST compressor out there ever, solves all your problems.

the decamitor is a noise suppressor, and yeh its the best stompable noise suppressor out there, im dying for one!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Try to find a used analogman Juicer:

http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm#os

Good amount of squish (not as transparent as a Ross), but still quiet.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Quote by Zeds.Ded
the decamitor is a noise suppressor, and yeh its the best stompable noise suppressor out there, im dying for one!

Agreed. I'm thinking about selling mine and getting the g-string decimator to quiet down some of the noise from my amp as well...or I might just buy another decimator to put in the effects loop if I can find another one a cheap as I found mine.