So, I'm working on starting a guitar amp building company as I've stated in other threads. Right now, I have 3 slightly different preamps that all go from a Fendery Clean to a death metal distortion (2 of them will make the change based off of guitar volume alone, which is neat).

Most two and three channel amps have a clean channel that is inevitably a Fender Twin preamp that they just kindof stuff in there as an afterthought. If it's a two channel amp, they'll have a lead channel (which is either a JCM800 pre or an SLO pre depending on the crowd they're catering to). If it's a 3 channel, they'll have a Twin, a JCM800, and an SLO. Usually.

Which is nice and all, and a lot of people are happy with that, and that's cool. But, what if someone made an amp that had two or three preamps, all slightly different, but all able to do a Fender Twin sound to above and beyond an SLO?

Would that be worth extra $$ (the reason a Fender Twin is usually thrown in is because it's 1 extra tube and a few parts to gain an extra channel) for a full-on capability in both channels, or are people happy w/ whats out there?

I plan on pushing the whole "two full-on preamps" thing regardless, just wondering what people think so I know what to expect.

To the mods: I put this here because people in this part of the forum tend to care a bit more about their gear (customizing and whatnot), if this belongs in electric guitars go ahead and move it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
so your saying 2 different pre amps?

Sounds good! It will be good to be different bring in ALL TEH MONEYZ!
@DLrocket89

Are you intending then to pre-build amps to boutique standards and offer a choice of ready-made 'off-the-peg' amps rather than build amps to order with custom specs?

I'm just asking because I'm curious as to the market for (forgive me here) non-'brand-name' amps to the general consumer.

What specs are you intending to offer and what price range are you targeting? You don't have to tell me (and believe me I've no intention of building any more amps!) but again, I'm just curious.

I believe it will be a struggle for new amp companies to compete but I'm sure if the product is good and the marketing well-focused that success will follow. I wish you well in this endeavour.
"full-on" capabilities sounds like an awesome idea, i'm assuming you mean like two of the exact same preamps with their own EQ controls, etc so rather than having your main channel and another channel that only does clean you can have either do whatever you want?

thats definitely something i'd find useful because i extremely rarely need a clean sound
Quote by bellerophon
@DLrocket89

Are you intending then to pre-build amps to boutique standards and offer a choice of ready-made 'off-the-peg' amps rather than build amps to order with custom specs?

I'm just asking because I'm curious as to the market for (forgive me here) non-'brand-name' amps to the general consumer.

What specs are you intending to offer and what price range are you targeting? You don't have to tell me (and believe me I've no intention of building any more amps!) but again, I'm just curious.

I believe it will be a struggle for new amp companies to compete but I'm sure if the product is good and the marketing well-focused that success will follow. I wish you well in this endeavour.

Two areas: will be building both off-the-shelf and custom builds.

Off-the-shelf:
To sortof boutique standards...final version will probably have a PCB, but used in a way that doesn't suck (ie, the board won't be flamable like certain companys' PCBs, heaters won't be run on the board, etc). Right now, price point is $1500 for a 1 channel amp, $2000 for a dual channel, probably $2500 for a three channel amp. Available in 2 watts, 20 watts, or 50 watts (slight discount for the 2 watt model).

Would be built fully shielded so you're not picking up NPR on one of your channels, cell phones don't make it go nuts, hum is kept very low, etc. Most of my amp builds now, I can't tell if they're on till I plug it because there is so little hum.

The idea is that each preamp could do anything from clean to death metal, so that it'll appeal to a wider audience.

Custom: full-on whatever the person wants, prolly starting about $2500.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by Diamond Dave
"full-on" capabilities sounds like an awesome idea, i'm assuming you mean like two of the exact same preamps with their own EQ controls, etc so rather than having your main channel and another channel that only does clean you can have either do whatever you want?

thats definitely something i'd find useful because i extremely rarely need a clean sound

Yeah, both preamps would have their own EQ, gain structure, etc. And they could both do everything.

Gotta go to work now, posting will be intermittant thru the day.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
Yeah, both preamps would have their own EQ, gain structure, etc. And they could both do everything.

Gotta go to work now, posting will be intermittant thru the day.

just wondering how well they could do everything, i've always thought of and heard of amps kinda being british-voiced (marshall, vox) or american-voiced (mesa, etc) or whatever and from personal experience could never make a marshall sound like a mesa or vice versa.

do you have a lot of finer tuning available on your amp's EQs, or do you take a lot of hard-wiring out and make different aspects adjustable or something like that?

sorry if thats a stupid question but i dont know much about the inner workings of a preamp or anything and the thought of something that could do everything sounded really unheard of and interesting.
Quote by Diamond Dave
just wondering how well they could do everything, i've always thought of and heard of amps kinda being british-voiced (marshall, vox) or american-voiced (mesa, etc) or whatever and from personal experience could never make a marshall sound like a mesa or vice versa.

do you have a lot of finer tuning available on your amp's EQs, or do you take a lot of hard-wiring out and make different aspects adjustable or something like that?

sorry if thats a stupid question but i dont know much about the inner workings of a preamp or anything and the thought of something that could do everything sounded really unheard of and interesting.

Very flexible EQ structure (Treble, Mid, Mid Shift, and Bass) along w/ a prescence and resonance, and a very adjustable gain structure.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
Very flexible EQ structure (Treble, Mid, Mid Shift, and Bass) along w/ a prescence and resonance, and a very adjustable gain structure.

ok, cool. any chance of some sound demos
Quote by Diamond Dave
ok, cool. any chance of some sound demos

hah! not right now, too busy w/ full time work + master's degree classes.

I built the 50 watt model for myself, friends have built 2 and 20 watt versions, all are sweet.
Quote by kcdakrt