Page 1 of 2
i'm having some doubts now since i just bought a hp dv5t laptop. however since i just got it i can just return it for a full refund. i always been hearing that Mac software is so much better and easier to use than pc based programs. right now i'm using adobe audition 3 and to be honest this thing is quite tricky, all my friends rave about how easy it is to use their macbook for recording and such. so are mac books really that much better for musicians than pc? if so are they worth the extra $$$?
wrong section bro bro
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
wrong section bro bro

really? i don't see how since i'm going to be using my laptop for pre amp in conjunction with my pod so it's part of my guitar gear and accessories.
Hmmm. I think they're worth the money; specially if u want it as a music computer. Personally, I've never even touched a mac. But I've heard so many good things about those as DAW computers, 'cos I hang out a lot in gearslutz forum(you know the one with the pros.)

Quote by l3p4rd
wrong section bro bro

No man, this is the right place.
Last edited by YA89 at Jan 22, 2009,
Mac's are indeed better for mussicians and artists and stuff, I think.

I'm more of a linux user but right now I'm stuck with XP. I don't feel like running WINE to play my games, and not all the games run on Mac.

Also, if you happen to be on vista, go to windows XP immediately.
Check out Reaper (http://www.cockos.com/reaper/) before you decide against Windows. I find it to be really intuitive and hassle-free, with a ton of features. On top of that, it's (mostly) free, if you don't have a conscience and don't mind not shelling out fifty bucks after trying it out.

I seriously wouldn't fiddle with a Mac - too persnickety for me, and harder to fix if something goes wrong.
Hardware wise...it's all the same on the inside.. exactly the same.

Software is another story. You don't get the same compatibility bull-crap with the MacOS as you do XP/Vista. If it says supports Mac on on the box, it does with little fuss.

If I were to do it all over again.. I'd probably turn into a Mac-hole... but I use Sonar for my sequencer...and I'm heavily invested in it - so I'm stuck with the PC. Also, I always tell myself I'm going to get a cool game, but I never do.

If I had to choose between the two setup to run the same exact software, I'd pick the Mac.

If you are a gamer.. there's only one choise...PC.
Last edited by 667 at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by kylegumby
Check out Reaper (http://www.cockos.com/reaper/) before you decide against Windows. I find it to be really intuitive and hassle-free, with a ton of features. On top of that, it's (mostly) free, if you don't have a conscience and don't mind not shelling out fifty bucks after trying it out.

I seriously wouldn't fiddle with a Mac - too persnickety for me, and harder to fix if something goes wrong.

if something goes wrong

i'm no mac fanboy, infact i've never owned one and have been using windows and linux on my own computers like my whole life but i've used macs a fair bit as well and the software is really good. The reason i dont like them is because you have to buy the hardware (macbook or whatever) from them and they put a premium on it thats for sure.

macs also have really crap mice, but maybe i'm just fussy
Quote by Diamond Dave

Quoted for truth.

Also, Windows always seemed more flexible to me in comparison to Macs. Granted, my Mac exposure is admittedly low - but there's a reason for that.
hmm yeah i do agree you on that one. i have no idea how to fix a mac if something goes wrong. perhaps that why i'm considering the extended warranty plan which is like around 250 bucks extra,

as for window recording software. i did mention that i'm using adobe audition 3 so its not any low end stuff like audacity. so i think i got the hang of how well window responses. unless that reaper software totally blow adobe out of the water or you can install logic express or final cut on window.

i'm not planning on doing any gaming. i have my desktop for that . its all music recording with the band and typing essays since i'm still a freshmen in college.
Adobe Audition is a great program, and terribly underrated and underpromoted, I think. If all you need is to record, edit, mix audio, it's near-perfect, besides, you can always add your plugins and whatnot.
And if you get a Mac, you will have Garageband, which has nearly no editing capabilities, very few effects, but is much simpler and has software instruments, loops and stuff.
Of course, if you can afford a Mac and Logic, well then, of course, go for it
Garageband is also a good option if you use your software only to record audio, and all of your effects are outboard (compressors, limiters, equalizers, expanders), I heard a few bands recorded their albums in Garageband.

P.S. Adobe Audition has got some cool weird effects
oh yeah i'm definitely upgrading to logic express when i get a macbook.

i do have a off topic question.
can you use torrent, format converters and all these other neat stuff on window on a mac?
IMO, a lot of the Mac talk is purely hype.

I had to use them extensively during my time as photo editor for my college's paper, and they were always a pain in the ass to deal with. It could be that because I've used Windows my entire life that I have some secret knowledge of how to get everything done, but I don't think that's very likely. What some consider to be intuitive on Macs, I find to be an incredible wast of time.

I wouldn't bother switching unless you really like OSX, and from the sounds it you haven't used it all.
Quote by kckyle
oh yeah i'm definitely upgrading to logic express when i get a macbook.

i do have a off topic question.
can you use torrent, format converters and all these other neat stuff on window on a mac?

Yes, for example, mutorrent and azureus are available as OSX versions and so is lots of other stuff, plus, there are freeware sites.

Well, if you're upgrading to Logic Express, then I think you should get the macbook.

And as for intuitivity - my grandfather bought himself a macbook a few years ago after using DOS and Windows for more than ten years, and had no problems, and now finds Mac OS X way more user-friendly.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Then just use a windows mouse with it! :P

Thats what I do.

Seriously though, I thought they were stupid, used one, liked it, got one, and love it. I hate to use their tag line, but it just works.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by Goldenglove
Yes, for example, mutorrent and azureus are available as OSX versions and so is lots of other stuff, plus, there are freeware sites.

Well, if you're upgrading to Logic Express, then I think you should get the macbook.

And as for intuitivity - my grandfather bought himself a macbook a few years ago after using DOS and Windows for more than ten years, and had no problems, and now finds Mac OS X way more user-friendly.

awesome thanks. yeah i'm going to place a order on that new macbook with aluminum housing or something. too bad its only 13 inch

btw. does anyone know how well the battery life runs without a charge. and are they external or internal.
Last edited by kckyle at Jan 22, 2009,
Eh, for the price a Mac costs, you can buy or build a PC that will run faster

Sure, Macs might come with better software on them, but in the end, all the recording programs used in studios will work on Windows too. It's really just a matter of taste. I can't stand that Macs don't have a right click button, it pisses me off
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
PC Desktop > Mac Pro

Macbook > pc laptop
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Macs are idiot proof. That's the point. PC's are great if you know what you're doing, especially if you like to customize things. Macs also sell ridiculously over priced hardware, and for the price of a mac you could get a ridiculous pc, especially if you buy in pieces and put it together, which is pretty easy.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eh, for the price a Mac costs, you can buy or build a PC that will run faster

Sure, Macs might come with better software on them, but in the end, all the recording programs used in studios will work on Windows too. It's really just a matter of taste. I can't stand that Macs don't have a right click button, it pisses me off

I'm a huge mac nerd, and I'd like to dispel several myths here...
A) The hardware inside Macs and PCs is not the same (aside from graphics and sound cards)...the Intel Processors seem the same, but are slightly different. Apple does most of their own hardware work.
B) Once you get used to Macs and use the commands and shortcuts, processes become much easier and more intuitive.
C) You can change control settings to create a right-click button (two fingers on the mousepad, then a click with your thumb)
D) Macs are more reliable than PCs, and Apple service is far and away better than that from any PC company. The Applecare protection plan basically guarantees that anything that breaks (aside from damage you cause) will be fixed at zero charge.
E) Building a comparable PC is, in fact, more expensive than a mac.
D) Macs are not susceptible to spyware, adware, and have far fewer viruses.

I use a couple macs for production purposes, and I think that it's much easier to get desirable results.

As far as battery life goes, anywhere from 4-6 hours with the new Macbooks, and the battery is removable.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I like Macs software better. Recording and editing is easy. But im an idiot when it comes to computers, so thats y i like it.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by Diamond Dave

The Mighty Mouse is pretty tizzite though. Really nice laser mouse.

Yeah, I love my mac for everything, not just recording. It just makes my life easier. Also, if a thing says it works on mac, chances are it'll do it without a fuss. Plug 'n play was how my M-Audio audio interface was to install, pretty sweet. If I had a PC I would've spent a day installing drivers and pulling my hair out.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm a huge mac nerd, and I'd like to dispel several myths here...
A) The hardware inside Macs and PCs is not the same (aside from graphics and sound cards)...the Intel Processors seem the same, but are slightly different. Apple does most of their own hardware work.
B) Once you get used to Macs and use the commands and shortcuts, processes become much easier and more intuitive.
C) You can change control settings to create a right-click button (two fingers on the mousepad, then a click with your thumb)
D) Macs are more reliable than PCs, and Apple service is far and away better than that from any PC company. The Applecare protection plan basically guarantees that anything that breaks (aside from damage you cause) will be fixed at zero charge.
E) Building a comparable PC is, in fact, more expensive than a mac.
F) Macs are not susceptible to spyware, adware, and have far fewer viruses.

A) No where did I say the hardware inside is the same.

B) I wouldn't doubt it.

C) I was talking more about the desktops here, but that still not as cool as just a regular right click!

D) I've never once had a PC break down on me and have had an iMac, iPhone and iPod all die on me, with no damage done by me to them. Apple's support is great though, I'll give you that.

E) In terms of power, I'd really like to see where you're coming from at this point, because for the price of a new Mac desktop, you can build a PC desktop that rapes it in performance

F) The only reason this is true is because no virus coder in their right mind would really even bother writing a virus for a Mac when they're only targeting ~10% of the population that has a computer. If more people owned Macs, their would be A LOT more viruses for them, they're not "impenetrable" like they try to make them out to be.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
A) No where did I say the hardware inside is the same.

B) I wouldn't doubt it.

C) I was talking more about the desktops here, but that still not as cool as just a regular right click!

D) I've never once had a PC break down on me and have had an iMac, iPhone and iPod all die on me, with no damage done by me to them. Apple's support is great though, I'll give you that.

E) In terms of power, I'd really like to see where you're coming from at this point, because for the price of a new Mac desktop, you can build a PC desktop that rapes it in performance

F) The only reason this is true is because no virus coder in their right mind would really even bother writing a virus for a Mac when they're only targeting ~10% of the population that has a computer. If more people owned Macs, their would be A LOT more viruses for them, they're not "impenetrable" like they try to make them out to be.

A) Someone else said the hardware was the same, not you.
B)...
C) The new desktop mice are configurable for right click as well.
D) Hmm, yeah, there's an exception to every rule. I (as well as my family) used PCs since the 90s, and we had problem after problem after problem...Now we have 6 macs, and the only problems we've had have been our own faults.
E) You can build a PC with more memory for the same price, but where I'm coming from is that macs are far more efficient and need less memory and processor GhZ to run the OS and basic processes...once you start running massive rendering software, you'll need upwards of 2 GB of RAM, but not until then.
F) Oh, I'm aware of that...notice that I said susceptible about adware and spyware and not viruses...It IS true that the OS is basically more secure than Windows without being as annoying, but certainly, if more people used them, there would be more viruses.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
B)...
D) Hmm, yeah, there's an exception to every rule. I (as well as my family) used PCs since the 90s, and we had problem after problem after problem...Now we have 6 macs, and the only problems we've had have been our own faults.
E) You can build a PC with more memory for the same price, but where I'm coming from is that macs are far more efficient and need less memory and processor GhZ to run the OS and basic processes...once you start running massive rendering software, you'll need upwards of 2 GB of RAM, but not until then.
F) Oh, I'm aware of that...notice that I said susceptible about adware and spyware and not viruses...It IS true that the OS is basically more secure than Windows without being as annoying, but certainly, if more people used them, there would be more viruses.

Alright, well I agree with you there

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Alright, well I agree with you there

It really all boils down to preference anyway...

Don't judge me.
get a asus laptop, it pwns all. i use asus laptops in the studio, it comes pre loaded with 4gb of ram, a 250gb harddrive at least and a sweet video card considering its a laptop. and its not super expensive

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032%2050001315&bop=And&SpeTabStoreType=3&Pagesize=100
pick from any of those in that list and you are set to go, ive bought stuff from new egg and still do, there very trust worthy and they even got a award from the BBB for best online store customer service i think.
Quote by convictionless
get a asus laptop, it pwns all. i use asus laptops in the studio, it comes pre loaded with 4gb of ram, a 250gb harddrive at least and a sweet video card considering its a laptop. and its not super expensive

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032%2050001315&bop=And&SpeTabStoreType=3&Pagesize=100
pick from any of those in that list and you are set to go, ive bought stuff from new egg and still do, there very trust worthy and they even got a award from the BBB for best online store customer service i think.

Asus isn't that reliable, but they're decent laptops. The only thing is the whole stuck with Vista scenario....

Don't judge me.
lol asus isnt reliable....... they make some of the best mobo's in the world, i have 5 asus laptops, 3 are just barely a year old and 2 have been there for 2 years, with no problems what so ever and they still run like i just bought them yesterday.
TS, asus laptops are amazing and i highly recommenced that you get one.

as for the OS problem, its not that hard to go to future shop and buy a X64 bit version you know.
Mac's do almost everything i need them too. Amazingly at that.

My problem with mac's though is I can do so much on windows XP. I can hack into my schools network and open up teachers report cards for christ sake. I have NO clue how to do anything like that on a mac. I'm sure the learning curve to be able to do what i can now on PC would be horrendous for mac.

Linux is much better than both I believe. It is open source, so you can edit it however you like! If I didn't want to do anything like that, mac would be my choice though.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
All depends on the specs and how good (or bad) the user is.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
All depends on the specs and how good (or bad) the user is.

Mac generally for the same price as a PC has much lower specs.

Although, Mac runs much more efficiently than (most) stock PC's. This means to complete tasks it needs much less memory/processing power than PC.

I figure for very advanced users, linux is god.
Mid level art oriented = Mac
Mid level/high level gamer = PC
low level = mac. It's so easy to use.

I figure mac beats pc unless your gaming.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
i've become much more of a mac guy, for several reasons, no blue screen of death or other common crap that PC's commonly get, simpler interface with more dragging and dropping, garageband is a really good program imo, imovie is a ton better than windows movie maker, and also, if you use your pod for your playback device like i do, have you ever noticed than every time you plug it in/out or turn it on/off while your watching a video or listening to a song, you have to refresh that page? on macs, it never does that
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by danyellenik
Mac generally for the same price as a PC has much lower specs.

That's a very oddly worded sentence. In fact the whole post could be made more coherent with a little more structure.

With the same amount of money, you'll probably get a better PC spec than a mac spec - the difference between the two is that mac OS' are much more efficient than PC, so don't require a much higher spec.
Therefore more of the spec can be dedicated to the running of programs.

Playing devil's advocate here, but that's the general situation.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Jan 22, 2009,
mac's can right click these days, you know.

If you are using the computer solely for creative purposes ---> mac: it's a stable, easy to use machine that was built just for this sort of thing really.

buuuut if you're going to (ab)use it for games, risky websites, networking and all that you're better off with windows.

Also, I used to work for HP, the dv5x series is a thing to be avoided
Quote by theoreticmusic
B)...

Mr Claw.....you got ass kicked in public.....not for the first time....
Quote by davedoom
Mr Claw.....you got ass kicked in public.....not for the first time....

Now that's just not nice. This is an...ahem...gentleman's disagreement....

Although I suppose duels were once considered the gentlemanly way to settle things.

Don't judge me.
Quote by davedoom
^ Don't make me skiffle over there and slap you with my white glove, young man!

I'd pay to see that.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
I'd pay to see that.

I believe there are clubs where you can pay to see that sort of thing.

Google - White Glove Match

(whoever does google that is.....)
Page 1 of 2