so I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and when I tune it down to like drop B it's impossible to tremolo pick because the strings are too loose.
so I'm just thinking "I'll just get a heavier gauge"

HOWEVER

when my guitar is tuned to standard, the strings seem too tight cause I can't make a full bend without being scared of the string breaking

so what the hell do I do know?
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Pick a tuning, i guess you wont be able to have both if that's the case or just get another guitar so you can have two different tunings.
Drop B to standard is a pretty big difference - I doubt you can get away with the same string gauge for both...
Quote by Slayer_ZV
Pick a tuning, i guess you wont be able to have both if that's the case or just get another guitar so you can have two different tunings.

I can't do that cause I have to play on both tunings :P

and I can't buy another guitar cause I just spent all my money on the les paul
Quote by Carmel

All-riiight.
Last edited by billybusa at Jan 22, 2009,
Then you sir are hosed.

Really though, the second guitar is what seems to be the best option for you.
You can't have drop B and standard with the same set of strings and expect it to be comfortable...
I managed to do it with my old guitar; "Samick SG (Gibson Copy)"
Quote by Carmel

All-riiight.
No, you didn't. I have no idea why you think you could, but let's use logic, shall we?

"In drop B, the strings are too loose!"
Alright, we fix that my SOME METHOD that would make them tighter, such as using thicker strings.

"In standard, the strings are too tight!"
Well, to remedy that, you'd need to do the opposite.

NO guitar is capable of being simultaneously looser in Standard and tighter in drop B.

Seriously, why not just put your "Samick SG (Gibson Copy)" in drop B, and use the Epi for standard tuning?
No way around this dilemma. You dont like it in standard with heavy strings and dont like it in drop b with light strings. Extra guitar for drop tuning, deal with the strings as is or stop changing the tuning so radically.
Just don't play in drop B for christ's sake. Even if you get thicker gauge strings drop b will still sound horrible. Besides, if you for some reason think you can do this, you'll end up warping the neck. Save up for a baritone or 7 string if drop b is that important to you.
Quote by billybusa
so I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and when I tune it down to like drop B it's impossible to tremolo pick because the strings are too loose.
so I'm just thinking "I'll just get a heavier gauge"

HOWEVER

when my guitar is tuned to standard, the strings seem too tight cause I can't make a full bend without being scared of the string breaking

so what the hell do I do know?

The strings aren't "too tight". The clue is in the name, guitar strings - they're for guitars. The standard tuning for a guitar is E standard therefore all guitar strings are designed to be used in that tuning and they won't be any more likely to break.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i never knew you can't use 13's on standard E tuning.
your fingers will break before the string does.
you need time to naturalize in bending heavier gauge strings.
they are just more difficult to bend than thinner ones.
that is all.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain