Hello!

I am trying to clean my technique up, and there is one thing that I have never practiced by itself.. Only in songs.. Though that has helped a bit.. And the technique is.. Fingerpicking

So, with left hand, when you play a note.. Only one finger is supposed to move.. Is it the same with the right hand?
Am I supposed to move only one finger at a time (If you play to strings, then two..) or does it not matter so much with fingerpicking?

Also... I will now ask a question that might or might not belong to MT, but I wish I will not be banned or hunted down with torches and apologize.

|---12\-|----------------------------------------| (Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of Little Wing.)
|---12\-|----x-x------------5-(5)-5-----------|
|-x-12\-|----x-x--------5h7-(7)-5-----------|
|-x------|----x-x------5---------------5h7\---|
|--------|------x--5h7-------------------------|
|--------|-0-------------------------------------

The bolded part... Are you supposed to just play the 5th fret on G.. Then as you hammer on with the ring finger to 7th, just play the 5th of B string at the very same time (seems damn hard..)?

Thanks

(Now I wish that little part of the tab turned out okay..)
Last edited by Unrelaxed at Jan 22, 2009,
Right hand finger independence

Anyway your fingers arent normally independent when you start because the body has no need to move in this way normally...

...Hand flat on the desk lift thumb and middle finger, then flat again and lift index and ring. Repeat constantly and change fingers e.g. 1 and 4 to 2 and 3.
Last edited by DegaMeth at Jan 22, 2009,
don't you mean little wing?

and as DegaMeth says above, try the exercises at the bottom. i started with ones similar to those but different order.
although i'm no expert i think im higher than average
another exercise i used was to play the intro to sweet child o mine with your fingers i.e. index, middle, ring and little finger picking the D, G, B and e strings respectively. while your neck hand (left hand for a righty) does what it would normally be doing as if using a plectrum/pick.

hope this helped
Quote by Unrelaxed

The bolded part... Are you supposed to just play the 5th fret on G.. Then as you hammer on with the ring finger to 7th, just play the 5th of B string at the very same time (seems damn hard..)?

Im pretty sure this is what u need to do, not quite sure, tab is off a bit
When fingerpicking, use your thumb for the e, a, and d strings, your index finger for the g, your middle for the b, and ring for the e. You may have already known this. As for practicing right hand independence itself...

Alot of people on MT will disagree with me on this one-

I've always felt that it's better to expand your song repertoire, and that technique will develop as you do this, rather than directly practicing technique- to me that seems counter-productive.